Support

Open search

Root access

Apprentice

I've a galaaxy j3 my security app has a firewall feature but when I try to turn it on it says that it needs a rooted phone to run it how do I turn on root access? 

7 REPLIES 7
Superuser I
Superuser I

If a person 'roots' their phone then thry run the risk of tripping the phones Knox Counter thus voiding the manufacturing warranty. 

What Security App are you using ?

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 10+ 5G _256Gb > Model: SM-N976B._ Samsung One Ui / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch
Samsung Galaxy Tab A {2016}SM-T580

Apprentice

AVG

Superuser I
Superuser I

If your avg is downloaded from the PlayStore then as far as I'm aware it shouldn't be asking for you to root the phone. 

The purpose of the avg app is to provide security on your phone. 

Rooting can act as a stability problem !

Current Phone ~

Highlighted
Apprentice

Downloaded from the play store just found this onAVG website if rooting's likely 2 leave u more vunrable why would a security app b asking 4 it?v.confusingVersion:1.0 StartHTML:000000267 EndHTML:000003466 StartFragment:000002188 EndFragment:000003398 StartSelection:000002240 EndSelection:000003398 SourceURL:https://support.avg.com/SupportArticleView?l=en&urlName=AVG-AntiVirus-FREE-for-Android-FAQs&q=root+a... AVG AntiVirus for Android - FAQs | AVG Support

Rooting is a process which allows Android users to attain privileged control of their devices (known as root access) within the Android system. Rooting the device allows the user to override limitations that carriers and hardware manufacturers put on some devices. This makes it possible to alter or replace system applications and settings, and run specialized apps that require administrator-level permissions.

The main advantage of a root installation is the AVG Firewall, which allows you to control network access on a per-app basis. This improves security, blocks unwanted ads, and even preserves battery life. Unfortunately this feature is not available for non-rooted devices due to some limitations of the Android platform. For most of the functionality within AVG AntiVirus for Android rooting is NOT required. In fact, rooting your device is generally not as secure and therefore not recommended. However, users who choose to root their devices are exposed to higher risks, and that is why we include features to provide additional protection.

Superuser I
Superuser I

Your phone so your choice

My choice is not to have antivirus Apps in the first place as I feel they are resource hungry.

Maybe look at using Avg without Root Access or look to another App. 

Current Phone ~

My Phone Samsung J7 Prime

I wamn to root access 

Superuser I
Superuser I

@124590 wrote:

My Phone Samsung J7 Prime

I wamn to root access 

Hi @124590

Then you’ll need to google for the process. 

This can and will trip your Knox Counter thus voiding any remaining Manufacturing Warranty. 

Current Phone ~

Top Liked Authors