Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

No Wifi Calling option on S7 edge (oreo)

(Topic created on: 21-03-2020 02:09 PM)
RayJ1
Journeyman
Options

Just moved to a mobile "blackspot" so cannot use Sky mobile network. Tried to activate "wifi calling " but no option exists on my phone. Sky tech team said it should work as they automatically switch calls to wifi. Samsung support said Sky should have an app for me - but could not explain why I do not have the option under Settings. I see others had similar issues under Nougat. Never needed it before I moved but now I need it I feel Samsung are "fobbing me off". Surely they have a work around - so many seem to have similar issues. Spent many hours over last week  scanning www but no- one seems to have an answer - but surely Samsung are selling 'unfit for purpose handsets claiming they support wifi calling. It is clear from my research that this problem has existed for years starting with the S6. 

11 REPLIES 11
RayJ1
Journeyman
Options

If wifi calling is permitted on a network locked phone (S7 edge) why would Samsung remove the  option on an unlocked phone? Tech support at Samsung bounced me between several "experts" for close to 90 minutes yesterday and as I had to go pick up kids from school, suggested I call Sky on my return  -not impressed.

0 Likes
RayJ1
Journeyman
Options

Many Samsung phone users have reported same problem where the option to use wifi calling is not present. Have ANY of them had the fault fixed? One guy said one day it stopped and next day it was back - that does not constitute a fix, as nobody else acknowledged it as a fault. If all it needed was a reboot I would not be here.

0 Likes
Solution
RayJ1
Journeyman
Options

This is just an update and summary.

Called Sky mobile when my new phone did not connect for wifi calling (was ok via mobile network when away from  home). Had 3 conversations over 2 days. Was told nothing for me to do, once I allowed wifi calling on my settings (but no such setting was available on my phone). More googling, joined samsung community, explored all the "red herring" options to set wifi calling. Went back to Sky, told me to get in touch with Samsung as the option was nowhere to be found, posted on a couple more buletin boards (no replies), went to sky 3rd time & told to visit Cardiff support centre. (My son went a couple of days later for me as he was there on business). They were of no practical help and suggested going back to the retailer in case I'd been sold a "foreign" S7 phablet else it must be a Sky problem, but could give no explanation or suggestion about why the "Wifi Calling" option was nowhere to be found. Did a factory reset, in desperation - blew away all the diagnostic apps I'd downloaded, and loads of other stuff (just realised why my wake-up alarm failed for last 2 days) - but still no joy.

Called the retailer, he said no-one had complained about any faults on his latest batch from Samsung but suggested I try it on another network (not many S7 users need wifi calling, it seems). I did the opposite - I gave my son my sim card, and although he rarely uses wifi calling on his own Pixel, with my card fitted, wifi calling did not work.

Got back to Sky support, now armed with the fact that my card did not work in a proven phablet, got put on hold for 10 minutes while two (or more) techies had a chat, and WOW! my phone rang. It was the hospital, wanting to change a appointment. Eventually, Sky came back (still on the landline) and said they think it might be the sim card at fault, so had ordered me another. I told the guy that I'd just had a call on my phone, but he was not really interested as "new sim was the answer". I tried a few calls that evening to no avail, and began to doubt I'd had a conversation with "outpatients dept". Following morning I called the landline with the S7 - it rang! Did it again - it rang! Called my son - wifi calling was working. Took grandkids to school, came home to find new sim card in letter box. Called son again to let him know. called others. New sim card still in the envelope. My settings now shows under "Access Point Names" that "Internet" is "mobile sky" - but as far as I can tell that is the only change. There is still no setting option for Wifi Calling on general settings or on Phone app setting - so if like me you have a new S7 Edge running Oreo (Android 😎 and maybe earlier versions, do not worry about the option not being on your phone - it is a Red Herring (does not exist).

For me, all I can say is that having been bounced from Sky to Samsung, Retailer, and Sky, that it was my last encounter with Sky Tech Support thatsolved the problem, even though the Sky Guys had no idea they had done so - they clearly pushed a number of buttons and one of them worked - but without persistence, I would now be shouting at the supplier, who clearly was not at fault, nor had Samsung dispatched a faulty device. Now I have to decide whether to switch to the new sim card and risk upsetting my phone, or stick with the old one that now works.

RayJ1
Journeyman
Options

Sorry folks. NOT SOLVED.

It looks like I fluked a few calls. I generally get a " no entry" icon instead of signal strength bars when at home but sometimes it shows the weakest signal strength of nothing or a single bar. I'm not so sure wifi calling was why I got a few calls last week or whether it was an "atmospheric fluke" giving me a weak signal. In any case, I have not been able to make any calls since last Friday - so clearly no wifi calls!  Having pointed this out to Sky, I have since been told  by one of their Samsung using techies that Sky Mobile does not make Wifi calling available to unlocked phones unless supplied by Sky. It seems they are not the only network to do this. Yet they say they support unlocked phones. There is no mention on their FAQ menu of the marketing decision to only support wifi calling on their own unlocked phones. Surely this means they only support phones supplied by themselves - in effect they still only support phones "locked" to them for wifi calling purposes. These phones ARE LOCKED, yet they can unlock them at the behest of the marketing department. I will get in touch with trading standards, as they should state these facts in their t's & c's else they are misleading their customers who purchase unlocked devices elsewhere.

Sorry if I gave false hope, but why not lodge a complaint with trading standards or even the BBC's Rip-Off Britain (or both).

0 Likes
PCT
First Poster
Options

Thanks for doing the leg work on this one!  My earlier attempts to find a solution were frustrating and fruitless.

I had the same problem with my Galaxy S7 using Verizon and the solution found for your Edge put me on the track to fix it so I can now do calling over wifi with my phone!  The key was finding 'Access Point Names'.

On my phone, I went to Settings, Connections, Mobile Networks, Access Point Names.  The only one listed there was Verizon Internet [VZWINTERNET] and it wasn't selected, so I touched the circle to select it.  It worked! When connected to our home wifi network calls go through faster and the sound is crystal clear...we live in the country and are on the fringe of a cell so the signal is weak and we have problems with dropped calls and voice fading in and out.

We use Charter Spectrum Cable for our internet service.

Thanks much...

Perry

0 Likes
Arkana
First Poster
Options

Hi Samsung users.

I am having simular issues trying to use WiFi calling on a Galaxy S7 active in Australia.

Sim is with Telstra. Internet is with Activ8me satalite connection.

There is a unhighlighted writting   in the connections tab saying  WiFi calling but no sliding adjustment for on / off tab.

Wifi connection is working through the internet.

Trying to work this out is doing my head in.

Starting to think this wifi calling on this phone is a gimmick.

Help here from a techno would be appreciated as there is no mobile reception here.

0 Likes
Lindsd
Student
Options
I'm having the exact same problem. I'm being bounced between 3 provider and Samsung. the feature does NOT exist on this phone. yet my daughter has exactly the same phone, same network provider yet the feature EXists on her phone. how can a carrier/provider put a feature on a handset?? I've been asked to search for the app on my phone...guess what NO RESULTS FOUND! you don't say?!
yet I'm still being told to go to the provider to activate it. totally frustrated and fed up. there is clearly faulty batches of s7edge phones but Samsung will not acknowledge as their responsibility.
0 Likes
Lindsd
Student
Options
go to Samsung and demand to speak with resolutions. complaints need to be raised.
0 Likes
4WD
First Poster
Options

Apparently AT & T an American Supplier did not release the feature WiFi calling.
They still use CDMA in the States.
Some firms like AT&T & Telstra ect buy the phones off of Samsung and install their own software or pay Samsung to install their versions.
The feature is listed on this phone with the WiFi calling greyed out.
On some Samsung phones an update can remedy the solution but not on my version of this software neither by asking AT & T to release the feature.
It was not installed in their software regardless that the function is on the phone.
How Fu***** Ridiculous.

One would think that a phone of this caliber Samsung S7 Active or any other would have catered for the Global Public and Alternative Services.
We have been stitched up.
This Phone quite an expensive phone Samsung S7 Active basically just sits on my shelf as a f*&*ing spare camera.
Thanks a lot Samsung and AT & T for looking after the interests of the General Global Public. ( ``not`` )
So the solution in my case was to buy another phone that caters for WiFi calling of which only Telstra & a few other suppliers offer.
So i purchased another Samsung phoned that is working WiFi calling locked into Telstra.
Now apparently Telstra are discontinuing WiFi calling to Pre Paid customers.
WiFi calling will only be offered to those on a Plan.
Well Telstra you have done it again Fu**** Us All Over just like you did with the CDMA phones.
Did Telstra offer us a trade in or a discount on a new phone No the phones just went in the Bin.
Telstra your mobile phone coverage does not cover All areas in Australia there are areas regarded as Black Spots.
Some people are not big users of phones and just basically need the service for emergencies and the odd call through their Satellite WiFi.
It would seem that such services mentioned above are constantly seeking ways to squeeze another dollar out of us regardless that they supply an inadequate service.
I use the words Greedy and Grasping.
FYA W*****s on the Higher Table your more interested in sending us stupid Looney Tunes to download than supplying us with a good common sense communication system.

0 Likes