Support

Open search

New to Samsung and Android - Do i need antivirus software?

SOLVED

HI guys, I'm brand new to Samsung and Android; having converted from Apple and iPhone the question i ask is do I need anti virus software? The device I now own is the Note 8?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Superuser I
Superuser I

@Lilsaint

At the end of the day what Security we implement on our phones is a personal preference. 

My personal preference is not not use any Security Anti-Virus Apps and have chosen not to activate the phones onboard Samsung option. 

In my opinion these are resource hungry in the phone and are not a must. 

They do however give peace of mind to the person when using the phone. 

Like many I've read pieces on malware attacks etc but in all my years have not been hit nor have I engaged with anyone who has. Some think they may have been but it's turned out to be something else. 

One rule of thumb is not to let your phone out of your sight so no one has unauthorised access. 

Don't use public wifi for sensitive work such as internet banking or sites that require you to sign in using a password. Don't use the same passwords for all your logins because if a unscrupulous person gets hold of one they'll try to use that for other sites.  

Do not navigate to anywhere using short cut links from within emails or text messages. Even if they look legit. Instead use Google to your wanted login page. 

Be wary of using links on pages you visit. 

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 9 Model: SM-N960 Dual Hybrid 512Gb_ Samsung One Ui / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch
Samsung Galaxy Tab A {2016}SM-T580

18 REPLIES 18
First Poster
not as long as you stick to official sources for apps
Voyager

Hi buddy your device as built it security I use an s7 edge and have not come across any issues 

1 don't click on unsolicited emails looks 

2 stay within galaxy apps and the playstore

3 if you press settings then look for Google then security and you will see Google  play protect  make sure it's turned on your Google will scan your device and  apps on average once a week to make sure your device has no threats and gives you a status and  the last time it was scanned

you can also go into to the playstore via the app in last couple of days but I'm not sure which devices this will be available on

DRUID DOODE
Superuser I
Superuser I

@Lilsaint

At the end of the day what Security we implement on our phones is a personal preference. 

My personal preference is not not use any Security Anti-Virus Apps and have chosen not to activate the phones onboard Samsung option. 

In my opinion these are resource hungry in the phone and are not a must. 

They do however give peace of mind to the person when using the phone. 

Like many I've read pieces on malware attacks etc but in all my years have not been hit nor have I engaged with anyone who has. Some think they may have been but it's turned out to be something else. 

One rule of thumb is not to let your phone out of your sight so no one has unauthorised access. 

Don't use public wifi for sensitive work such as internet banking or sites that require you to sign in using a password. Don't use the same passwords for all your logins because if a unscrupulous person gets hold of one they'll try to use that for other sites.  

Do not navigate to anywhere using short cut links from within emails or text messages. Even if they look legit. Instead use Google to your wanted login page. 

Be wary of using links on pages you visit. 

Current Phone ~

Voyager

Hi @BandOfBrothers you mentioned you choose not to activate she security built into your device is that the same used as the 7 edge 

Season for asking is the only option I have is in device maintenance and you can scan your device and then there are two links that you can access other security apps

The one i get directed too is mcavee although I don't use it as like you say are resource hungry

The only one I use knowingly is Google protect that scans your device once on average 7 to 10 days and gives you a ok or if there is an issue I assume it either tells you or removes the offending app 

I'm trying to be getting as much lifetime over the few years I plan on keeping my device so if there is any thing I have activated without realising it I would like to stop it but I'm sure the device maintenance was already active and I didn't think that would use much power 

DRUID DOODE
Superuser I
Superuser I

Hi @DRUIDDOODE

Yes that feature within my Google Security Protocols is turned On. 

In regards to the inbuilt security option Yes I'm referring to.....Screenshot_20170918-113307.png

Current Phone ~

Voyager

Sorry @BandOfBrothers I know I a pain in the $#@! With some of my questions is there any way I could deactivate mine at my own risk as I can not dgmdwa way through the app settings 

Screenshot_20170918-133536.png

Am correct in saying it is because you had the huge plums and knowledge to be safe without it at the device setup when you first got it 

DRUID DOODE
Superuser I
Superuser I

Are you able to force stop it and then disable it @DRUIDDOODE ?

I inadvertently activated it on my s7 edge when first setting it up and then after troubleshooting why the phone was being spanked somehow in regards to resources I compiled my current opinion on it. 

I believe I ended up factory resetting the s7 edge. 

Current Phone ~

Highlighted
Voyager

Thanks for info I am going to factory reset my device as soon as I'm confident everything backed up so I'll do it that way as I've got this far with it another few days won't matter.

I interested to see the difference in battery life without activating it

DRUID DOODE
Superuser I
Superuser I

Go for it. 

Just take into account please that phones settings and preferences are different with different apps that can all go to affect resources and juice. 

It may also take a short while to settle after the factory reset while the phone indexes. 

Current Phone ~

Top Liked Authors