Support

Open search

Light leakage around screen

First Poster

Hi, hope this is the right place to ask! Received my new Note 8 today, beautiful phone as ever from Samsung but a little worried about the light leakage around the black border of the screen... attached some photos, wondering if this is normal for these curved edge phones (last phone was a Note 4 so I'm not familiar with the newer body design), or if anyone/everyone else has this too? Please and thanks!

DSCF2426.JPGDSCF2430.JPG

4 REPLIES 4
Superuser I
Superuser I

Some have found that on their phones with curved edges this can happen @IndiaHawker 

There are others with the Note 8 that have also brought this up.

When I purchased my Note 9 similar posts elsewhere appeared asking the same thing.

My Note 9 does not have this.

It's not a defect in my opinion but the process of manufacturing the phone. Some have it and some don't.

The problem is once you've seen this you cant unsee it !

People I've spoken to put the phone in a case or bumper anyway so do not see the light leakage. 

If your going to use the phone caseless and its going to affect your user experience then consider asking for it to be swapped out by the business that supplied it.

Unfortunately your not guaranteed to get one that isn't affected however. 

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 9 Model: SM-N960 Dual Hybrid 512Gb_ Samsung One Ui / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch
Samsung Galaxy Tab A {2016}SM-T580

First Poster

Thanks for the help! I know I can't unsee it now especially against the black but it's such a beautiful phone! I'd feel guilty seeing if I can swap it seeing as it's a perfectly good phone - plus knowing my luck I'd get one with the same problem but worse - as you can see it runs down both sides (not top or bottom), slightly more on the left than the right but it's really minimal, knowing my luck I'd get one with the black frame pushed all the way to one side and a light spill double the size on the other! Surprising how some do have this and some don't considering my screen must be near enough bang on centre seeing as I have the light spill up both sides. Plus I've been looking into this and may be wrong but sounds like the vast majority of the phones (Note 8 at least; haven't really looked into other models) have this issue!

Anyway still love the phone, by far the best I've ever owned and couldn't bear to have a phone without the S-pen nowadays! If it's really bugging me I have some marine-grade black silicone hanging about, debating using a small paintbrush to smear just a tiny amount of silicone into the crack with the light spill, smoothing it out with my finger, and wiping off the excess (used it on aquarium glass, seems to wipe off well with enough effort). Wondering what people think about this approach? Cheers!

First Poster

Update: near enough perfect now thanks to black silicone and black sharpie! Painted/squished it into the cracks, wiped away excess - perfect brand new phone with just an extra final stage in my manufacturing 

Superuser I
Superuser I

Good to hear you've found your own workaround @IndiaHawker 

I assume you prefer not to use a case.

Take care.

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 9 Model: SM-N960 Dual Hybrid 512Gb_ Samsung One Ui / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch
Samsung Galaxy Tab A {2016}SM-T580

Top Liked Authors