Support

Open search

Kies, Smart Switch or both?

Highlighted
SOLVED
First Poster

Hi,

I have an old Galaxy Note 10.1 GT-N8010 and a Galaxy S6 which I'd like to have all conversing on my Win7 PC..

The Note is running Android 4.1.2 and the S6 is running Android 7.0, should I install Kies or Smart Switch or both?

Thanks..

Matt..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
First Poster
Don't worry, I've answered my own question..
My solution was to firstly install Kies, which once installed and connected to the Note, prompted me to upgrade the firmware and/or Android from 4.1.2 to 4.4.2 via the USB cable as it wouldn't upgrade over the air/wi-fi.. A restart of Kies then informed me that the device now being Android 4.4.2 was no longer supported by Kiers and prompted me to download and install Smart Switch, via a handy link.. This was done as per on-screen instructions and both the Note and the S6 were connected and perfectly backed-up via Smart Switch..

As a side note, all the YouTube videos suggesting the Note running 4.1.2 may require 'rooting' to upgrade to 4.4.2 KitKat can be ignored, just by following the instructions above.. I actually have 2 Note 10.1's and neither were 'rooted' and upgraded without issue, via the above.. xx
1 REPLY 1
First Poster
Don't worry, I've answered my own question..
My solution was to firstly install Kies, which once installed and connected to the Note, prompted me to upgrade the firmware and/or Android from 4.1.2 to 4.4.2 via the USB cable as it wouldn't upgrade over the air/wi-fi.. A restart of Kies then informed me that the device now being Android 4.4.2 was no longer supported by Kiers and prompted me to download and install Smart Switch, via a handy link.. This was done as per on-screen instructions and both the Note and the S6 were connected and perfectly backed-up via Smart Switch..

As a side note, all the YouTube videos suggesting the Note running 4.1.2 may require 'rooting' to upgrade to 4.4.2 KitKat can be ignored, just by following the instructions above.. I actually have 2 Note 10.1's and neither were 'rooted' and upgraded without issue, via the above.. xx
Top Liked Authors