Support

Open search

Incorrect Phone Number in About Device on S8

Explorer

OK,  Back on track to the original question.... Incorrect Phone Number in About Device

It appears that the latest Android Operating system update has solved the problem for the Samsung S7 at least.  Going to:

>Settings>About phone, reveals the option to Edit the name of the phone, and it lists:

My phone number (it now gives the correct one without any input from myself).

Model number

Serial number

IMEI

Note.  This is not on just one phone, it is on two.  My wife and I have identical S7 phones on EE and they now show correctly. 

Observer

I read somewhere that if you insert your sim in a Blackberry or an iPhone you can manipulate that number on the sim. You can either delete or edit it. Haven't been able to try that out yet though. 

Explorer

Thank you for this explanation.  I can't believe that in this day and age we're still having problems like this, it's unforgivable that they don't address them.

Explorer

Thank you Doug.
How ridiculous that we must order a new sim card with the phone number hardcoded when this should be automatic.

Explorer

It looks as though clarification  is required for many people! This problem is resolved with the latest Android Operating system update to Security patch level 1st July 2018.  For the Samsung S7 after the update,  navigate to:

>Settings>About phone. It now reveals the installed SIM Card number.

it also lists:

Model number

Serial number

IMEI

Note.  My wife and I have identical S7 phones on EE and they both now show correctly. 

Explorer

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

Will this also work on the S6?

Marta

Explorer

Sorry Trundle Explorer, I assumed that your link indicated something for us to do for the fix.

Updates on my phone are up to date, but it's an S6, I wonder if it doesn't work for this one.

Is there any way to double check that the auto updates include the Android one you mentioned?

Thank you!

Explorer
You say you have updated your phone?  Have you checked the "About Phone" ?  I cannot comment other than that, because I have never used an S6!
Explorer

Yes trundle, my phone updates automatically, it has Android 7.0 on it, but the phone number is still as unknown, although all the other details that you mentioned are correct underneath.
Thank you for your help.

Apprentice

I have just been into Tesco mobile about the same problem on the a8 we have been back about 6 times after trying everything like factory resting about 8 time had the SIM changed still the same 

But today a helpfully staff member said the last thing to try in getting them to send me a blank SIM card so we can set it with our number it should be with me in three days so don't hold your breath I will be back

Top Liked Authors