Support

Open search

Help retrieve text messages for a court case

Highlighted

Hello 

My s7edge over heated after 1 year....I guess because it's a samsung and that's what they do...so it was sent away to samsung who replaced parts and returned it. 

I lost all my text messages as a result.

I am now needing to access them due to a court case (we are the victims of a scammer).  

I have no idea what I had backed up or what systems I agreed to for back up but it is a possibility.

What systems could I have backed up my text messages and how do i access those to restore my messages on the repaired phone ?

And any other ideas....

Thank you
7 REPLIES 7
Superuser I
Superuser I

If your phone backed them up then when your setting up your new phone use the option of using your back up. 

If there not there and they have not been saved to any online vaults then Samsung won't have them and I suspect your mobile network provider will not have the text or the content I'm afraid. 

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 9 Model: SM-N960 Dual Hybrid 512Gb_ Samsung One Ui / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch
Samsung Galaxy Tab A {2016}SM-T580

Hello. Thanks for helping.

Actually providers keep all your messages for years but you need the police to make a request. This is a civil issue so that's not currently an option.

What you mentioned is what I'm after but I didn't set it up as it was sent away and came back wiped but working.

So how do i access the possible saved back up now? And Any ideas  about google...so they get involved via Google back up with text message restores etc.

CarolinaW Moderator

Hey @Endlessproblems! Prior to the repair, did you back up your phone regularly to your Samsung account, Google account, Google Drive, Google+ or other cloud storage? How about to a memory card or your computer? Did you use Samsung Smart Switch to create any backups? If so, I can help you to restore any lost data. :robothappy:

Thanks for helping.

Yes and no.

That's why I'm curious to know how to access these systems to see....

Superuser I
Superuser I

@Endlessproblems wrote:

Hello. Thanks for helping.

Actually providers keep all your messages for years but you need the police to make a request. This is a civil issue so that's not currently an option.

Hi @Endlessproblems

From my knowledge in the UK the networks keep records of texts for 12 months but not the actual content of the texts. 

In regards to back ups from my experience backs ups to cloud vaults etc are not accessible to look at which I presume is to stop accidental corruption via user error. 

Instead when resetting a phone back up after a factory reset or a new phone when using the recent back up this info is then visible in the phone. 

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 9 Model: SM-N960 Dual Hybrid 512Gb_ Samsung One Ui / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch
Samsung Galaxy Tab A {2016}SM-T580

Thanks for that. O2 did tell me that they do keep the physical messages so....?

So is it possible to use samsung or Google to at any time restore the last back up and if so...how please ?

As I'll give it a go...

Observer
Retrieve messages please from 8th Feb
Top Liked Authors