Support

Open search

Galaxy note 8 - sort contacts

Highlighted
Observer

In fact, when I open my contacts, they ARE sorted by last name.  But in the message app, they are sorted by first name with NO OPTION to change!!

AndrewL Moderator
You're right, @redrock. Although it's not ideal you can workaround the issue by using your Contacts app as standard, tapping on the relevant contact and selecting 'Message' from that position. Alternatively, in the Messaging app, tap the letter on the right of the screen (A to Z) to quickly skip to contacts.
First Poster

My Galaxy S8 has a sort by option in contacts /settings. (Find by contacts/ 3 dots at top/ settings) However, the Galaxy note 9 has NO sort option in contacts/settings. It sorts them randomly by surname or christian name. I got around this by putting in all names as, for example:-

Rogers-tyre-centre

Johnson-Peter

Smith-Ron

It's a bit more time-consuming, but works. Hope this helps until an update fixes this omission. 

First Poster

The Galaxy s8 does have a "sort-by" option, but the Galaxy Note 9 does not have this option in contacts/ settings. (find this by contacts/3 dots at top/settings) .

I found a way around this by changing all of my contacts to surname dash first name for example:-

Brisbane-tyre-centre

Jones-Peter

Rogers-Ken

This works until an update fixes the omission. Hope this helps. 

First Poster
The Galaxy s8 does have a "sort-by" option, but the Galaxy Note 9 does not have this option in contacts/ settings. (find this by contacts/3 dots at top/settings) .

I found a way around this by changing all of my contacts to surname dash first name for example:-

Brisbane-tyre-centre

Jones-Peter

Rogers-Ken

This works until an update fixes the omission. Hope this helps.

Go to contacts, hit the 3 bars on the top left of the screen, then in that pop up window, hit the little gear at the right top. This should open an option to "sort by."

Hope this helps.

First Poster

You da MAN !!!

First Poster

I found it. To sort the contacts you have to open the app "Contacts" (not "Phone"-app!), than klick on burger-button (3 minues) on the left-side. Then klick on gear wheel at the very top. And you are now in the settings of contacts. Here you see the needed setting menus: "Sorting" and "Name format". Enjoy it.

1.jpgBeing in the "Contacts"-app, klick here

2.jpgThen klick here3.jpgAnd here you can set the sorting of your contacts

The only thing that is showing is delete and share. Help

First Poster

You look at 3 dots on the right side. But you should look and klick on the 3 bars on the left side.

Top Liked Authors