Support

Open search

Galaxy note 8 - sort contacts

SOLVED
First Poster

Does anyone know how to sort the Contacts on a Galaxy Note 8. The option does not appear to be available under Settings, or anywhere else. I want to sort them in surname order as I did on my Note 2.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Superuser I
Superuser I

Hi @Saccyboy

Try,,,

Contacts >  3 little dots in top Rh Corner > Settings > Sort By > Choose ‘ Last Name’

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 10+ 5G _256Gb > Model: SM-N976B._ Samsung One Ui / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch
Samsung Galaxy Tab A {2016}SM-T580

DannyT Moderator

Just as quick heads up everyone, as a few people have said in the thread, this has moved with the newest update Android Pie 9.0.

You now need to head to Contacts > 3 Lines Middle Left > Cog wheel > Sort by.

Will accept this a solution too, so we have it on page one.

MCU.jpg

Welcome to the Community! :smileyhappy:

21 REPLIES 21
Superuser I
Superuser I

Hi @Saccyboy

Try,,,

Contacts >  3 little dots in top Rh Corner > Settings > Sort By > Choose ‘ Last Name’

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 10+ 5G _256Gb > Model: SM-N976B._ Samsung One Ui / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch
Samsung Galaxy Tab A {2016}SM-T580

First Poster

Many thanks. I had previously accessed Contacts through the 'Phone' icon. For some reason, if you do it that way the option to change the sort order does not appear in the menu. But as you say, if you access contacts through the Contacts icon (which is buried in the list of apps), the menu does include that option.

Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to reply. Now sorted (pun intended!).

First Poster

Hi Saccyboy, I have Note 8 Model N9500. I have opened contact from Contact icon. On menu stil no sort option. When I open menu pop-up - Groups, Delete, Share, Manage contacts, Settings, and contact us. Opening the manage contact,  the options available are Merge contacts, Import/Export contacts, Move contacts from phone, Sync contacts, Default storage location. No Sorting contcat!!!

Can some with similar phone model please help.

Hi Just want to confirm ur problem. Since I just bought my Note8 and I have the same. I have no problem doing it on my Huawei P10. Ive asked many stores and they say the NOTE8 does not have sort by option =.=. kinda silly... I've tried downloading other Contact apps in google play and they dont work very well either. 

We are screwed D:

I have an A5..it works like u said but if u add an app after u sort it won't populate alpahabetically and wont sort again?

Highlighted
First Poster

The "sort by" option is missing in the Samsung Galaxy Note 9 contacts settings. This appears to be a note 9 software fault that will hopefully be addressed in an update. Until then, the contacts list will continue to remain a jumble of mixed up first names and surnames. The only way to find a name to phone/text is to use the search function. If anyone has found a way around this, I would be grateful for your solution. 

Observer

I have Galaxy Note 9.  The message app/settings/3 buttons/ does not have the option to sort by last name.  I would greatly appreciate any help or work arounds -- other than using the search feature.

AndrewL Moderator
@redrock: The steps provided by @BandOfBrothers are for the Contacts app:

Contacts > 3 dots > Settings > Sort By > Last Name.
Observer

The message app/settings/3 buttons/ does not have the option to sort -- BY ANYTHING!!!!

Top Liked Authors