Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Galaxy S8 call volume very low

(Topic created on: 22-09-2017 08:26 PM)
MGS1
First Poster
Options

Hi all since the last update a few weeks ago the volume during a call is really low, I've tried all the trouble shooting and turning up the volume during a call but everything is maxed out. 

This is my work phone and I work for my self so it is very important that I can hear and understand what potential customers are asking me. 

Having the phone in loud speaker just to hear is not good.

My media and other things work fine it's just the ear piece volume that's not working even with pressing the extra volume button during a call nothing changes.

The phones only a few months old I had it the week before official launch.

Argh please help.

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds.

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Solution
TheGeniii
First Poster
Options

also had this same annoying issue for a while, The volume is extremely low when calling people to the point where I have to put every call on loud speaker. this problem has only started today for no reason. I have tried restarting my phone and it's still the same. Tried checking online or if anybody  knew were having the same problem or knew how to fix?

Let's try some troubleshooting steps.

1. Are all your Apps are up to date? You have 2 places that you need to look. Google Play store and Galaxy app store. Go to both and check My Apps. Make sure there is no app that needs updating. 
  2. Is your phone OS up to date? Go to Settings, About phone and check for software update. Make sure you have the latest phone software. 
  3. Clear phone cache. Instructions are here
  4. Clear Application cache and sometime Application data. Instructions are here
  5. Restart your phone in Safe mode. This is just to help you isolate the issue if it is caused by 3rd part apps. Instructions are here

If those don't help. You can check out the other suggestions here: https://gettechmedia.com/fix-call-volume-low-galaxy-s8-galaxy-s8-plus/

View solution in context

Solution
Shauny_B
Explorer
Options

Sounds simple but.

Get some blu tac tac press firmly over the ear piece then take it off.

This piece easily becomes clogged with dirt and dust.

You will probably notice the dirt on the blu tack

Do this a few times and try making a call again.

Thanks

View solution in context

114 REPLIES 114
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Can you recall what the last update was @MGS1 ?

Mine was the Bixby Update which shouldn't have affected anything else. 

Probably not the case but could you very carefully check that there is no debris in the speaker via perhaps shining a torch in it. I'd advise not to go prodding about in there. 

If it seems clear and no new case or screen protector isn't relevant then if this happens all the time no matter where your visiting i.e Not a Network Signal issue then a Samsung Service Location or Samsung Experience Store can run a diagnostic. 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes
nanosassa
First Poster
Options

In my case was just the protection film moved up and was ovelapping the speaker 🙂

did you checked that?

Solution
TheGeniii
First Poster
Options

also had this same annoying issue for a while, The volume is extremely low when calling people to the point where I have to put every call on loud speaker. this problem has only started today for no reason. I have tried restarting my phone and it's still the same. Tried checking online or if anybody  knew were having the same problem or knew how to fix?

Let's try some troubleshooting steps.

1. Are all your Apps are up to date? You have 2 places that you need to look. Google Play store and Galaxy app store. Go to both and check My Apps. Make sure there is no app that needs updating. 
  2. Is your phone OS up to date? Go to Settings, About phone and check for software update. Make sure you have the latest phone software. 
  3. Clear phone cache. Instructions are here
  4. Clear Application cache and sometime Application data. Instructions are here
  5. Restart your phone in Safe mode. This is just to help you isolate the issue if it is caused by 3rd part apps. Instructions are here

If those don't help. You can check out the other suggestions here: https://gettechmedia.com/fix-call-volume-low-galaxy-s8-galaxy-s8-plus/

Stormwarrior
First Poster
Options

If you recently changed screen saver plastic make sure it's not covering speaker 

Solution
Shauny_B
Explorer
Options

Sounds simple but.

Get some blu tac tac press firmly over the ear piece then take it off.

This piece easily becomes clogged with dirt and dust.

You will probably notice the dirt on the blu tack

Do this a few times and try making a call again.

Thanks

Whitey0101
First Poster
Options

You are a star.

Something so simple!!

Volume went low from the word go today, and the phone had a majot update over night last night.

I was convinced it was to do with that, the update had changed a setting or screwed something up somewhere.

However no, it was simply the earpiece holes blocked with dust and *****.

Thanks for the so simple solution to the problem.

Kind regards,

Joe

Shauny_B
Explorer
Options

You are more than welcome, im glad this has helped you.

i too thought it was something to do with software updates, but thought i would give the 'low tech' approach a try..

its nice not having to push the phone so hard against your ear :smiling-face:

take care

Bryant54
Apprentice
Options

Just done this with my S8+ now crystal clear.

Great tip, thanks

Bryant 

MrsRaspberry
Apprentice
Options

i have the exact same problem. i purchased my S8 in November 2017. By December just before christmas it was sent for repair for the earpiece volume being far too low. I had it back around 2 weeks later the problem was fixed. it didn't last very long as by February the same problem happened again. it was again repaired and returned to me. Again the problem returned in May so i called the customer services of where i purchased the phone and they replaced the handset. It is now only July so ive had the new handset for all of 6 weeks maximum and its now happened with this one too. im guessing its a fault with the batch of phones maybe im not sure  but I'm not happy at all. another trip to the supplier and i will probably be fobbed off with another repair which probably won't last. i really dont want to continue paying for a phone that doesnt function properly after a few weeks