Support

Open search

Galaxy S8 & S8+ Beta UK Frustration

Explorer
Can you explain how it will trip Knox? especially when knox is no longer supported by samsung and you can completely remove it from your phone so therefore twrp can not trip something that's not installed on your phone
Explorer

Samsung said would stop supporting "my knox", in favour of secure folder. My knox is just an app to hide your data, not the fuse that trips when you root your phone.

Explorer
You are talking about 2 different things. The knox you are talking about is a a software security and it does not have to be on your phone if you do not want to use the Samsung Pass and Secured Files or other highly secured VPN connections. The TWRP will trip the HARDWARE Knox. It is only visible to you if you go to the download mode of your phone. You will see the knox status there. This is a bit setting and it is either set to zero 0x0 or 0x1. Any removal of the stock recovery will set that bit to 1 and that is what is called tripped knox. Once it is set to 1, you cannot reset it. This hardware Knox is required for Warranty. If it is tripped to 1 the phone will be automatically removed from Warranty. Some highly secured programs will check this status via the Kernel. If you install a custom kernel with a fake knox, you can fool these programs but not all. Samsung Pay will never work if the hardware knox is tripped - at least the last time I checked. Android Pay since it is not made by Samsung does not check and it will work with tripped knox but not a rooted system which are ways to hide your root status. The bottom line if you want to keep your warranty do not replace your stock recovery.

By the way, there is a big warning on the official TWRP on XDA that states Installing TWRP will trip your knox. Many people do not care and they like custom recovery and custom ROMs - I used to root my phone right out of the box but today with the support of OMS and the many ways your can customize your official ROM, rooting is not necessary, for me at least. I’d rather know that I keep my warranty and my OTA and security patches than root and can make my phone run very smoothly with Admin Access alone.

Anyway, I hope I did not bore you but that is all you need to know about Knox. I wonder why would you want to install TWRP?? There isn’t anything that TWRP can provide you today that you would not be able to do via Stock Recovery - other than backup.

Explorer
All l can say to this is l have used it before and never tried knox in anyway or form
Highlighted
Explorer

wrote:
All l can say to this is l have used it before and never tried knox in anyway or form

Again, 2 different things. You used it before and you tripped your hardware knox.  Do you know how to go to the download mode?  Turn your phone off and push volume down, Bixby button, and power button all at the same time until a green screen appear.  Push the Vol Up and you are in download mode.  Several lines from the top is your Warranty Knox Status.  It is usually 0x0.  If you install TWRP, it will change to 0X1.  That is called you tripped you knox.  Feel free to do whatever you would like to do.  Regardless, this is off topic for this group.  

Explorer

If your sick of waiting for Samsung to release the update head over to SamMobile they now have the official Oreo update for the SM-G955F which most of will have firmwear version G955fxxu1crap

https://www.sammobile.com/news/first-galaxy-s8-oreo-firmware-now-available-for-download/

Navigator

This gets more and more bizarre. The Oreo rollout has been halted according to Sammobile!

https://www.sammobile.com/news/samsung-stops-galaxy-s8-android-8-0-release-new-version-being-develop...

Apprentice

@phkwrote:

This gets more and more bizarre. The Oreo rollout has been halted according to Sammobile!

https://www.sammobile.com/news/samsung-stops-galaxy-s8-android-8-0-release-new-version-being-develop...

Let's hope it's for 8.1 as the notification for system in 8.0 is horrible no idea why Samsung chose to leave it when you remove a notification from the notification panel it also clears the dots should have been made to leave the dots on the apps, the way it is in 8.0 cheap release is a step backwards in terms of notifications.

Navigator

Not confirmed yet, but it looks like the reports earlier this week that the Netherlands will be receiving the update next week actually referred to this new version of the firmware.

First Poster

Is it true that the Oreo update has now been pulled by Samsung? 

Top Liked Authors