Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S6 - Samsung Internet Browser opening random spam sites

(Topic created on: 09-08-2019 06:07 PM)
roman111
Apprentice
Options

About two weeks ago (probably after last browser update) Samsung Internet Browser started opening some random websites (thisdaythatage.com, indiancooking4u.online). The pop-ups occur when unlocking and also while using the phone. I did a factory reset, but after a few days the problem returned. I checked the “the list of recently used apps in Google Play Store” after a “pop-up” but all I see is Samsung Internet Browser. The “unknown sources” option is always off. I have only the default Samsung apps installed. After a quick google search I’ve noticed is that many people have the same problem, so maybe it’s a s6 related thing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

33 REPLIES 33
John4Oh
Helping Hand
Options

In your browser settings @roman111  click Sites and Downloads and check you have 'block popups' switched on, like this.......Screenshot_20190809-225037_Samsung Internet.jpg

roman111
Apprentice
Options

Thank you for the response, but the block pop-ups option is always on.

0 Likes
John4Oh
Helping Hand
Options

@roman111 wrote:

Thank you for the response, but the block pop-ups option is always on.

Strange one @roman111, you don't have a memory card do you? Is there anything on there that could be causing it? Also have you got any connection with these pop up sites, like have you ever visited them or been subscribed to them?

0 Likes
roman111
Apprentice
Options

I don't have a memory card and I have never visited those sites. The phone is on a fresh system with only the default Samsung apps. I have noticed that the pop-ups occur two times every day, at the same time. On other forums people suspect the Samsung Internet Browser. Maybe Samsung is testing some new advertising on older (forgotten) phones.

John4Oh
Helping Hand
Options

@roman111 wrote:

I don't have a memory card and I have never visited those sites. The phone is on a fresh system with only the default Samsung apps. I have noticed that the pop-ups occur two times every day, at the same time. On other forums people suspect the Samsung Internet Browser. Maybe Samsung is testing some new advertising on older (forgotten) phones.

Who knows @roman111 that could well be the case, although you mention it being set times of the day so have you checked anything connected to the clock? Like some kind of reminder.

0 Likes
hyperpenta
Student
Options

i've been having the exact same problem with my S6.

Every day usually around 3 times spread over the evening Samsung internet will open to a bit.ly link that will take me to some phony article or blog like "indiancooking4u.online" with the url and content being different each time.

Samsung internet isn't my default browser and even after locking down the settings it keeps happening. I'm about to factory reset but apparently that won't help either.  

What's the deal?

0 Likes
BloodMagus
Student
Options

I have this exact issue with my S5. I also have spotted they are a redirect via bit.ly - but there is no history recorded.

They're random, but of similar design in wordpress.

Stuff like fruitcares.xyz; or techhit.info

Have tried resetting the browser, incase its something in that.

I've tried doing a whois on the sites, but they're all registered via proxy.

So far I've been unable to find anyone experiencing the same issue, until now.

hyperpenta
Student
Options

The problem has mysteriously stopped entirely for me since posting here. 

The only changes I made were stopping and disabling Peel Remote and "Update apps" version 1.0.00-59, I have re-enabled the former and no longer have the ability to stop or disable the latter. I'm not sure if this actually had any effect or if maybe the spammers picked up on the post here by my samsung account or something.

I might do a factory reset and see if the problems starts up again.

I also found this reddit thread of people experiencing the same issue:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidQuestions/comments/cneavc/samsung_internet_opening_to_random_spam_si...

BloodMagus
Student
Options

I decided to uninstall/disable Peel Remote on your advice.

I have now noticed i am not getting the pages popping up.

Note : using a s5.