Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S6 - Samsung Internet Browser opening random spam sites

(Topic created on: 15-09-2019 08:24 PM)
roman111
Apprentice
Options

About two weeks ago (probably after last browser update) Samsung Internet Browser started opening some random websites (thisdaythatage.com, indiancooking4u.online). The pop-ups occur when unlocking and also while using the phone. I did a factory reset, but after a few days the problem returned. I checked the “the list of recently used apps in Google Play Store” after a “pop-up” but all I see is Samsung Internet Browser. The “unknown sources” option is always off. I have only the default Samsung apps installed. After a quick google search I’ve noticed is that many people have the same problem, so maybe it’s a s6 related thing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

33 REPLIES 33
Kath8
First Poster
Options

Nothing seems to be stopping these pages from opening up all the time.  I am unable to do anything on my Samsung S without the screen changing to something else entirely. It does all seem to be coming from Samsung Internet, which I do not use as I use Chrome as my browser.  If I cannot resolve this I will have to consider ditching Samsung altogether.

0 Likes
Daal
First Poster
Options

If you have this problem and peel remote then go to peel remote>settings>notifications and turn off smart lock screenTurn off smart lock screenTurn off smart lock screen

0 Likes
tkm1968
First Poster
Options

have you found a solution to this? Meeting is doing it several times a day.  I have a note 9

0 Likes
Fuhrer
First Poster
Options

The app 'peel smart remote' is likely the cause.   If you disable it via application settings,  the issue should be resolved

0 Likes
hancwj
First Poster
Options

@roman111 wrote:

About two weeks ago (probably after last browser update) Samsung Internet Browser started opening some random websites (thisdaythatage.com, indiancooking4u.online). The pop-ups occur when unlocking and also while using the phone. I did a factory reset, but after a few days the problem returned. I checked the “the list of recently used apps in Google Play Store” after a “pop-up” but all I see is Samsung Internet Browser. The “unknown sources” option is always off. I have only the default Samsung apps installed. After a quick google search I’ve noticed is that many people have the same problem, so maybe it’s a s6 related thing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
Fuhrer
First Poster
Options

Disable peel smart remote

0 Likes
klo1010
First Poster
Options

@hyperpenta wrote:

The problem has mysteriously stopped entirely for me since posting here. 

The only changes I made were stopping and disabling Peel Remote and "Update apps" version 1.0.00-59, I have re-enabled the former and no longer have the ability to stop or disable the latter. I'm not sure if this actually had any effect or if maybe the spammers picked up on the post here by my samsung account or something.

I might do a factory reset and see if the problems starts up again.

I also found this reddit thread of people experiencing the same issue:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidQuestions/comments/cneavc/samsung_internet_opening_to_random_spam_si...

@hyperpenta wrote:

The problem has mysteriously stopped entirely for me since posting here. 

The only changes I made were stopping and disabling Peel Remote and "Update apps" version 1.0.00-59, I have re-enabled the former and no longer have the ability to stop or disable the latter. I'm not sure if this actually had any effect or if maybe the spammers picked up on the post here by my samsung account or something.

I might do a factory reset and see if the problems starts up again.

I also found this reddit thread of people experiencing the same issue:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidQuestions/comments/cneavc/samsung_internet_opening_to_random_spam_si...

I have been having this same issue with my s6 edge. It has been happening for months now and I feel I have tried all of these options. I hadn't disabled the Peel Remote app, so I will try that. I feel as though these window pop-ups are somehow draining my battery as well. 

Has anyone experienced this?

As soon as the internet browser tabs started popping up, the battery has been needing recharged minimum 3 times a day.

0 Likes
Fuhrer
First Poster
Options

I have the same phone and my battery sucks too.  Imo it's just too small for the phone.  If you're gonna have an octocore processor you should have 5-6 Ah so you can actually make it work a little .

Disabling peel remote should fix the issue though.   They pulled the same stunt earlier but last time the ads opened via their app.  They've gotten more cagey, the scumbags

0 Likes
KayLove
First Poster
Options
Spoiler
This post is amazing because I could not find anyone with the save issue.  I'm having the exact same issue on a S10. It's definitely browser related because it started after I received this phone and suddenly my old phone, a S8, browser started don't the same thing after I turned it on one day. I'm so annoyed with this I'm about to try Apple products. These phones are not cheap and privacy is definitely an issue. I'm getting pop up about technologix, it factly techno fires, sigonews, cars and miles, ideapuls and many more all day and all night.  My phone can be completely turned off or I'm not on the internet and it will turn the phone on or leave my current app to open the browser to issue this spam.  I've done everything as far as looking at the pop ups in the browser setting, checking recent apps in the play store but I have no allowed popups and there is no recent app associated with this but the browser.   Samsung what's up man?
0 Likes
Fuhrer
First Poster
Options

Disable peel smart remote.  That should stop the popups

0 Likes