Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Galaxy Note 8 software/security updates

(Topic created on: 05-09-2019 05:59 AM)
Pollito
Student
Options

My son and i got the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 from At&t. Phones are working fine but i recently notice that my sons phone looks different than mine, i started a search and found out my phone hasnt had a single update since august 2018.  His has android 9.0 mine has 8.0 I contacted At&t and they told me to do smart switch, to look for software updates on my phone and nothing,they  tried to push the updates wich was gonna take 24hrs but nothing happened. They said they did everything they could and that i had to contact Samsung wich i did by phone and chat. The customer service rep on the phone said i had all the updates available but when i checked online theres like 8 security updates my phone never got. All after august 2018. The customer service rep on the chat said i have to take my phone to a repair store so they can look into it but i have to pay since my phone no longer has warranty. I dont get why my sons phone updated and mine didnt when we got it at the same time from the same carrier. My phone its At&t US model. Its there any other options out there for me to update, thanks in advance!

0 Likes
2 REPLIES 2
Solution
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

My knowledge is UK based however I assume its possibly the same in the US.

When a phone is supplied by a network its classed as branded and as such the networks want to test out updates before allowing Samsung to send them out in order to try and ensure nothing clashes with their network services.

That said as you say your both in the US using the same phone on the same network so even though updates wouldn't come through to the phone at the same time typically as updates are sent out in waves usually dependant on the phones build and serial number you should still get the updates. 

I assume the same network supplied both phones and not supplied one directly and the other phone was supplied by an independent etc ?

The two safest ways to check for updates are the routes you have tried i.e Smartswitch and the phones internal update section.

Security updates and software updates are an important process to keep the phone safe and working optimal so I would have assumed Samsung would want to support that.

In the UK phones come with a 24 month a manufacturing warranty.

If this was me I'd still visit a Samsung Experience Store or Samsung Service Centre and ask. If they try to charge a fee then you can just walk away if you want.

Other options are Custom Roms.

There is some good advice and tutorials on xdadevelopers site.

Disclaimer.......

Please carry out some extensive research before thinking about attempting this route as issues such as stability issues and a non working phone can be the result if this is performed incorrectly.

I wish you all the best with this situation. 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

Pollito
Student
Options
Thank You! :face-with-tears-of-joy:
0 Likes