Support

Open search

Galaxy A3 (2017) serious battery drain problem

SOLVED
Apprentice

I bought my Galaxy A3 (2017) earlier this year, in March. It was  great until about a month ago, when the battery started to drain really quickly. Even when I switch it off, when I switch it on again the battery has gone down by at least 70%. When it's switched on the most I'll ever get out of it is 10 hours. I used to get at least double this. I've even been to a technician who said nothing was wrong with the phone. I've checked battery settings and it says nothing is using up my battery that much - the phone thinks there is nothing wrong. It's still happening, plus it's started to overheat all the time too. What should I do? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Apprentice

same here, before that started happening I got 2 days too. I took it into the Samsung store who thought there was nothing wrong but they took it in anyway and apparently had to replace nearly every part of the phone! Anyway, it's fixed now and they did it for free. 

12 REPLIES 12
Explorer

Hi,

What changes were made to your A3 that could explain the sudden increase in battery drain? Any system update? Did you install a new app around that time? It may be worth installing Resource Monitor Mini, which will enable you to see CPU load and CPU temperature in the notification bar. Sounds like your CPU is working hard, which it should not be doing all the time.

spinon

Apprentice

Hi, I've just installed Resource Monitor mini. With no apps open and the home screen showing, my phone's CPU usage varies within the 1% to 8% region. That's not excessive, is it? When I'm not using the phone, I always close all the apps yet the problem's still happening. I'm confident it's not a particular app. 

Explorer

No, 1% to 8% CPU usage is normal. Does your battery drain quickly, regardless of the screen being on or off (i.e. in sleep/standby)?

What is your CPU temperature shown on Resource Monitor Mini?

Highlighted
Apprentice

I can't get the CPU temperature because I don't have the pro version. But the phone gets really hot quite a lot. 

Yes, it drains quickly even when the screen's off - and when I switch it off then switch it back on again, the battery loses the same amount. It could be some problem with the software - maybe it isn't the actual phone. I have tried resetting it several times but I'm planning to take the phone to a Samsung support store in London this weekend.

Explorer

OK, if you're able to take it to a Samsung Store, that's probably your best bet. Would be interested in knowing the outcome. Good luck!

Apprentice

Thanks for your help! I'll post here when I've found a solution. 

Apprentice

Sounds like an Issue with phone, I get 2 days most times !

Apprentice

same here, before that started happening I got 2 days too. I took it into the Samsung store who thought there was nothing wrong but they took it in anyway and apparently had to replace nearly every part of the phone! Anyway, it's fixed now and they did it for free. 

Apprentice

Wow that's crazy did they say what was wrong?? how long after did this happen new or like a year?? 

Top Liked Authors