Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed to Update Firmware - New Pie Update

(Topic created on: 23-08-2019 08:53 PM)
Robbie_G
Apprentice
Options

Hi,

I'm unable to update my Samsung J3 (2017) with the new Pie software.

I've managed to download the software successfully.  However when trying to install, it repeatedly gets to 25% and then I get an error message ("Failed to Update Firmware").

I've tried wiping the cache partition, and have loads of storage left (over 4.5GB) so this can't be a problem.

Please can anyone help and advise on a solution?

Thanks

0 Likes
16 REPLIES 16
AndrewL
Options
@Robbie_G: Can you confirm if you downloaded the update on your J3 via Settings > Software Update, or did you download it from a third party site? If it was the latter then it is not an official version of the software, which is probably why you're having issues.
Robbie_G
Apprentice
Options

Hi Andrew,

It was via Settings > Software Update. I first had a notification last night.

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options
Thanks for confirming that @Robbie_G. If you're unable to complete the update over the air then you may wish to try Smart Switch on your PC or Mac, available via the link below. One installed, connect your phone using a USB cable and look for a prompt to update the device on the Smart Switch homepage, next to your device details.

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/app/smart-switch
Robbie_G
Apprentice
Options

Thanks Andrew. Used Smart Switch on my PC and it's worked fine. Thank you for your help!

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@Robbie_G  Glad @AndrewL's   suggestion of Smart switch solved  the downloading issue,would have had other ideas otherwise but as well not needed.   Generally best to download firmware updates via Home  wifi  if possible I think,can be issues if not stable connection.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
AugustZ
First Poster
Options
I confirm, this really did the trick after one of two J3 (2017) I manage failed three times trying to upgrade to July 2019 level through Settings > Software Update and started to advise to visit a local dealer to help.
Thanks a lot @AndrewL for having suggested the Smart Switch path and @Robbie_G for having confirmed it should do the trick!
0 Likes
SAMaccount
Student
Options

Just the same as Robbie_G

Every day for the last three weeks I have been getting the notification that Android Pie is available to install. The updated downloads 100% (using the phones own Software update in the settings section) but but every time the UPDATE FAILS at 24% during the installation process. I have tried a phone rest (not factory reset) and I also used the hidden menus to CLEAR CACHE but every time the same error occurs at 24% installation. The phone then pauses, then self reboots, and comes back on as it was prior to the update attempt.

It should be noted that under the settings About Phone / Software Information, my Galaxy J3(2017) is showing the full build number  as R16NW.J330FNXXS3BSD1, but the downloaded firmware is reading J330FNXXU3CSG7 / J330FNBTU3CSG7 so I am wondering if the Samsung are downloading the incorrect firmware for the phone concerned.  This may be the reason for the error at 24% during the actual firmware update installation ?

Still haven't found a solution but any other ideas appreciated as it is doing my head in.

All I can do for now is keep choosing 'update later' to clear the screen each time.

Steve G
J3(2017) SM-J330FN (J330FNXXS3BSD1)

0 Likes
SAMaccount
Student
Options

SUCESS 🙂

It took me six attempts using SmartSwitch but I got there in the end.

It turned out that my existing Android ver8 firmware J330FNXXS3BSD1 updated to the new Android ver9 firmware J330FNXXU3CSG7 using SmartSwitch.

The process was a bit 'hit n miss' as many times SmartSwitch didn't offer the update when connected, so a phone reboot, and a SmartSwitch 'kill' on the PC . .  . . then multiple attempts . .  . .  . .and finally after 2.5hrs . . . it worked.

Many thanks to all above who contributed.

NOW WORKING PERFECTLY 😄

Steve G

Paul1547
First Poster
Options

Mine was the same, iit was because I had disabled some apps Facebook ect 

0 Likes