Support

Open search

Dropped Note 8 warranty?

SOLVED
First Poster

Does exterior damage totally void any/all warranty on the device, I'm asking as Note 8 was dropped and which has chipped the glass on the edge of the screen and the back glass case also has cracks, the OLED is fine fully working with no damage. The phone has been working fine for a couple of months since however have just started to get an issue with the phone not registering on the network.

Took the phone into a local Samsung service centre who's said they think it may be an issue with the motherboard. However, they are saying that because of the damage to the outer glass casing this invalidates the entire warranty on the device, I said I understand that of course, I'd need to pay for the damage to the outer glass etc, however, they said that now there is no warranty for the internal components either so this potential motherboard fault and/or anything else is now excluded as well, it doesn't seem to be right or fair, can this even be legal!!??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Superuser I
Superuser I

Hi @DoubleSpeed

It's correct that Accidental damage is not covered under the manufacturing warranty.

The drop causing the cracks could have also affected the internals. 

For the engineer to carry out work they'd need to open up the phone which the cracks on the screen and backplate probably wouldn't survive. 

There will be T&C's on the Samsung sites giving info.

It might be beneficial to check any house contents insurance cover and or some Bank Accounts provide cover as a perk of the account.

Excess Fee's and T&C's would need to be checked.

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 9 Model: SM-N960 Dual Hybrid 512Gb_ Samsung One Ui / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch
Samsung Galaxy Tab A {2016}SM-T580

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Superuser I
Superuser I

Hi @DoubleSpeed

It's correct that Accidental damage is not covered under the manufacturing warranty.

The drop causing the cracks could have also affected the internals. 

For the engineer to carry out work they'd need to open up the phone which the cracks on the screen and backplate probably wouldn't survive. 

There will be T&C's on the Samsung sites giving info.

It might be beneficial to check any house contents insurance cover and or some Bank Accounts provide cover as a perk of the account.

Excess Fee's and T&C's would need to be checked.

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 9 Model: SM-N960 Dual Hybrid 512Gb_ Samsung One Ui / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch
Samsung Galaxy Tab A {2016}SM-T580

Top Liked Authors