Support

Open search

Charging to 80%

Highlighted
Apprentice

Hi,

I have read a lot about batteries and it's very clear to me that you should not charge to more than 80%. Do someone know if Samsung is going to implement a feature/setting to only charge to 80% in the upcoming Android 9.0? I don't want to root my Galaxy S8 to set a charge limit.

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Superuser I
Superuser I

How a person prefers to charge their phone is a subjective topic @henkes_03

I regularly top up my battery and prefer not to let it drop below 10%  

Some charge it to 99%

Personally I've always let mine get to 100% and experienced no issues. 

The only time Samsung have pushed out an update to stop a phone charging to 100% was the Samsung Note 7 due to known issues with its battery. 

I cannot see Samsung pushing out software to limit the charging level of a phones battery simply because it's not necessary and people want as much charge in their battery as possible to get them through a days usage. 

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 10+ 5G _256Gb > Model: SM-N976B._ Samsung One Ui 2.0 / Android 10.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch
Samsung Galaxy Tab A {2016}SM-T580

Highlighted
AndrewL Moderator
Hi @henkes_03

There's no news about the implementation of a customisable charging cap in Android 9.0 I'm afraid. I can assure you that charging the battery to 100% is not detrimental to its overall lifespan however if you're concerned then I'd recommend monitoring the phone while charging and disconnecting manually before it reaches 100%.
Highlighted
Navigator

Hi, in Playstore you may find ,AccuBattery, . This app does give an alarm if the battery level reaches a certain level. This works without root without problems.

Regards OliverScreenshot_20180812-154328_Google Play Store.jpg

Highlighted
Apprentice

@ AndrewL

Okay yeah I'm always monitoring my phone while it's charging at the moment. I was just wondering because I saw that Asus have the feature to keep the battery on 80% instead of charging it fully on their new ROG phone. But I love Samsung so I'm not going to switch just because of that feature!
Thank you for taking your time!

Highlighted
Apprentice

Hi @

, yeah I know and I use it daily for monotoring my use. I do actually use it and it works great but the problem is when I want to charge overnight and not need to get out of bed half an hour before just to plug my phone in. Right now I have a wireless charger at my bed, but the problem is that I don't want to charge to 100%. Thats the tricky part.. btw, the battery health is not accurate haha
Screenshot_20180812-163442_AccuBattery.jpgThank you for taking your time to help me out! Great tips

Highlighted

It's concerning to see people claiming so authoritatively that repeated full charging of lithium ion batteries does not affect their lifespan. 

It does. 

Read about lithium ion / polymer battery chemistry in general, or go to discussions about battery maintenance for electric cars (where premature battery decline can be a big deal), if you don't believe me.  This is not to say that it never makes sense to charge to 100% - sometimes you really need the maximum span - but you should realize that the more you do this, the faster you age your battery.  Above all, don't charge to 100% if you're not going to use the battery immediately.  These batteries don't like to sit for a long time either full or empty - best if they're stored about half full.  You'll find that new batteries come from the manufacturers in a half-charged state, and there's a reason for this.

Top Liked Authors