Support

Open search

Charging to 80%

Apprentice

Hi,

I have read a lot about batteries and it's very clear to me that you should not charge to more than 80%. Do someone know if Samsung is going to implement a feature/setting to only charge to 80% in the upcoming Android 9.0? I don't want to root my Galaxy S8 to set a charge limit.

5 REPLIES 5
Superuser I
Superuser I

How a person prefers to charge their phone is a subjective topic @henkes_03

I regularly top up my battery and prefer not to let it drop below 10%  

Some charge it to 99%

Personally I've always let mine get to 100% and experienced no issues. 

The only time Samsung have pushed out an update to stop a phone charging to 100% was the Samsung Note 7 due to known issues with its battery. 

I cannot see Samsung pushing out software to limit the charging level of a phones battery simply because it's not necessary and people want as much charge in their battery as possible to get them through a days usage. 

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 10+ 5G _256Gb > Model: SM-N976B._ Samsung One Ui / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch
Samsung Galaxy Tab A {2016}SM-T580

AndrewL Moderator
Hi @henkes_03

There's no news about the implementation of a customisable charging cap in Android 9.0 I'm afraid. I can assure you that charging the battery to 100% is not detrimental to its overall lifespan however if you're concerned then I'd recommend monitoring the phone while charging and disconnecting manually before it reaches 100%.
Navigator

Hi, in Playstore you may find ,AccuBattery, . This app does give an alarm if the battery level reaches a certain level. This works without root without problems.

Regards OliverScreenshot_20180812-154328_Google Play Store.jpg

Highlighted
Apprentice

@ AndrewL

Okay yeah I'm always monitoring my phone while it's charging at the moment. I was just wondering because I saw that Asus have the feature to keep the battery on 80% instead of charging it fully on their new ROG phone. But I love Samsung so I'm not going to switch just because of that feature!
Thank you for taking your time!

Apprentice

Hi @

, yeah I know and I use it daily for monotoring my use. I do actually use it and it works great but the problem is when I want to charge overnight and not need to get out of bed half an hour before just to plug my phone in. Right now I have a wireless charger at my bed, but the problem is that I don't want to charge to 100%. Thats the tricky part.. btw, the battery health is not accurate haha
Screenshot_20180812-163442_AccuBattery.jpgThank you for taking your time to help me out! Great tips

Top Liked Authors