Support

Open search

Change the stacked clock on the lock screen on Samsung Galaxy S8 to look like a normal clock

Superuser I
Superuser I

@Silly

At least you gave it a go buddy and not having notifications on the screen would be a deal breaker for me too. You might have a little longer to wait for Oreo though he's the latest from Samsung.......

“Following a limited number of cases where Galaxy S8 and S8+ devices have rebooted unexpectedly with the Android 8.0 Oreo, we have temporarily stopped the rollout of the update. We are investigating the issue internally to ensure that the impact to the affected devices is minimised and the rollout of the update can resume as quickly as possible.”

Thanks for the update.

Highlighted
Explorer

Well, I have been waiting and kept checking for solutions on and off for about 6 months, I can wait a bit longer. I have tried everything, even that horrid Always On Display.

Fingers crossed for Oreo!

Highlighted
Superuser I
Superuser I

Well when you put it like that it seems you have the patience, and now we know the first thing you'll do when you get the Oreo update. The AOD doesn't change the lock screen clock, a pity. Why would you introduce a stack clock like that anyway who thought it would be a good idea! 

Highlighted
Explorer

It is funny that it is often tiny niggles like this that proves to be the big deal-breakers. In the end, I threw all my Apple products away due to the simple fact that the snooze on their alarms is set at 9 minutes (seriously, WHY? Not 5, not 10, but 9??). I really don't get some of these choices made by developers. Stacked clock.... Again, just why?? Perhaps they are trying to hard to be 'edgy' and different. Well, I do want the choice to be perfectly traditional please. 

Sorry for the rant. I am patient, honest.

Highlighted
Superuser I
Superuser I

Hahaha @Silly I'm the same and why not 10 why 9 minutes? I know what you mean they're adding little features that annoy more than please, but having the option to change the clock layout on Oreo means the stack clock has been annoying alot of Samsung users and Samsung have listened and gave us a choice to change it. Hopefully we'll not be waiting too long on Oreo. 

Highlighted
First Poster

Not to be picky, but when you say "developers" - you actually mean product owners.  When you get into developing professionaly grade applications, the developers are (for the most part) not making design decisions.  Developers will advise of certain technical limitations, and provide product owners with a series of options that fit within their budget.  Developers are simply following the requests of product owners.  Just as much as the end users, developers shake their heads at certain requests that come through.  This silly clock layout was probably one of those cases (at least I would have shaken my head at it).  It is crazy that I can't see the the time in a normal format.  Worse yet, it is on the lock screen so it is ALWAYS visible.

-Drew

Highlighted
Explorer

Hahaha, yes, that is being VERY nitpicky. You know what I meant. But also, I see what you mean. Yes, my rant was aimed at the people in charge that make this supposedly 'fashionable' decisions. Which is fine, it is cool, and often it might even be groundbreaking. However it will not be as long as they don't also include the option for normal people to keep things the old fashioned / traditional way. 

Highlighted

hi, i can't seem to find this... is it in phone settings or something in the themes app thing?

Highlighted
Explorer

If you have updated to the latest update, the Oreo update, you CAN now finally change it. Go to settings > Lock screen and security > Clock and FaceWidgets (scroll down to find this), > Clok style.

And yes, this now affects the lock screen clock, NOT just the always on display clock. You don't need to change the theme, and it doesn't disappear when you turn off and on or anything. Good fix, all sorted.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Changed at last! Thank you Silly apprentice 😃
Top Liked Authors