Support

Open search

Cell Standby/Android System/Google Play Services battery drain for Oreo on S7

First Poster

I agree. What i find really stupid is that us S7 owners are the ones who are most likely to upgrade our phone in the near future. I was defintely going to buy the new S9 but after this issue, I am done with samsung. Top tip samsung, keep the S7 and S8 owners happy or you will lose repeat business.

I ended up just downgrading back to android nougat official rom (getting 1.5 days again)

First Poster
How did you go about downgrading?
First Poster

Hi!
I have been following this thread for some time now. The 27th july I got an reply in Samsung Members app, and the answer is as general as always. They wrote, as they wrote to many of us, to factory reset. And as many mentioned already Samsung might not know about the issue or doesn't want anything to do with it. Even the small hope of mine that the developers are working on issue fell away after the first update after Oreo update. 

I have similar issues as many here. Battery drainage. And I have for the most part been forced to have airplane mode all the time, to have 30% after one entire day of use. Network (and definitly data) takes the most battery - and even gets too warm on data. I didn't have the issue before Oreo, which is disappointing. My phone is one year old, but still it was super nice before the update. 

Today I got another update, and I hope it doesn't mess up anything further. This is the second update after Oreo, which wasn't even nearly as big (0.38 GB). But the thing is that my phone gets somewhat hot during small moments of use and during airplane mode in wifi. 

First Poster

Got Update yesterday.
build:        R16NW.G930FXXU2ERGE
modem:   R16NW.G930FXXU2ERGC

Now it drains -94 (usage ~900) mA before updtate 350 mA (usage ~1500) i think its  way better. I will give him time to optimalize and maybe drain will stop, so stay tune. S7 flat Poland.

Apprentice

My S7 edge's battery have been draining super fast since the August Security Patch. I thought my battery was dying until I updated my other S7 flat and the battery started draining on it too! This is just annoying. I was about to replace the battery, but I highly doubt it will do any good. I hope Samsung will fix this soon 

Apprentice

@SV2 wrote:

I agree. What i find really stupid is that us S7 owners are the ones who are most likely to upgrade our phone in the near future. I was defintely going to buy the new S9 but after this issue, I am done with samsung. Top tip samsung, keep the S7 and S8 owners happy or you will lose repeat business.

I ended up just downgrading back to android nougat official rom (getting 1.5 days again)

Right, i'm giving up on Samsung fixing this - I'm going to do the same.. but hopefully if I just go back to the first Oreo update that will work, as battery life was fine on that? 

E.g. which exact files do we need? Will this do it: [G930U] Official Stock Firmware Android 8 OREO for Unlocked S7 (G930UUEU4CRG2) - or does that long number need to match mine? E.g. mine is G935FXXU2ERH1?

Or is this a better bet? - https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/galaxy-s7-edge/SM-G935F/H3G/download/G935FXXU2EREL/226507/

And how about these instructions on Sammobile? Is this all I need to do, or do I need to root the phone first, or unlock its bootloader or anything?: 

1. Download Odin v3.13.1
  2. Extract the firmware file you just downloaded. You should get 5 files:

AP (System &Recovery)

BL (Bootloader)

CP (Modem / Radio)

CSC_*** (Country / Region / Operator)

HOME_CSC_*** (Country / Region / Operator)

3. Add each file to it's respective field in Odin v3.13.1. Use CSC_*** if you want to do a clean flash or HOME_CSC_*** if you want to keep your apps and data.
  4. Reboot your phone in Download / Odin mode (make sure your device is off) with the following button combo: POWER + VOLUME DOWN + BIXBY

Other options in case first option did not work or isn't possible.

Option 2 VOLUME DOWN + VOLUME UP than USB cable

Option 3 POWER + VOLUME DOWN + VOLUME UP

Option 4 POWER + VOLUME DOWN + HOME BUTTON

Option 5 (Note9) USB cable + VOLUME DOWN + BIXBY

5. Once in download mode, connect your phone to the PC, preferably using the original USB cable you got with your phone. Odin should detect your device and a BLUE box will show up with the COM port number. (Be sure, the SAMSUNG-drivers are installed on your PC!)
  6. Do NOT tick any extra boxes. The only options to be ticked are F.Reset Time and Auto-Reboot.
  7. Click the start button, wait for Odin to say 'PASS' in a GREEN box. Once the flash is complete, your phone will reboot, and you can disconnect your phone from the PC.

INSTRUCTIONS (1 FILE)

Explorer

The only fix is the 1000$ Note 9.

But youll encouter losts of issues wth it too. Battery is great tough.

Apprentice

@Robotson wrote:

@SV2 wrote:

Right, i'm giving up on Samsung fixing this - I'm going to do the same.. but hopefully if I just go back to the first Oreo update that will work, as battery life was fine on that? 

E.g. which exact files do we need? Will this do it: [G930U] Official Stock Firmware Android 8 OREO for Unlocked S7 (G930UUEU4CRG2) - or does that long number need to match mine? E.g. mine is G935FXXU2ERH1?

Or is this a better bet? - https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/galaxy-s7-edge/SM-G935F/H3G/download/G935FXXU2EREL/226507/

And how about these instructions on Sammobile? Is this all I need to do, or do I need to root the phone first, or unlock its bootloader or anything?: 

1. Download Odin v3.13.1
  2. Extract the firmware file you just downloaded. You should get 5 files:

AP (System &Recovery)

BL (Bootloader)

CP (Modem / Radio)

CSC_*** (Country / Region / Operator)

HOME_CSC_*** (Country / Region / Operator)

3. Add each file to it's respective field in Odin v3.13.1. Use CSC_*** if you want to do a clean flash or HOME_CSC_*** if you want to keep your apps and data.
  4. Reboot your phone in Download / Odin mode (make sure your device is off) with the following button combo: POWER + VOLUME DOWN + BIXBY

Other options in case first option did not work or isn't possible.

Option 2 VOLUME DOWN + VOLUME UP than USB cable

Option 3 POWER + VOLUME DOWN + VOLUME UP

Option 4 POWER + VOLUME DOWN + HOME BUTTON

Option 5 (Note9) USB cable + VOLUME DOWN + BIXBY

5. Once in download mode, connect your phone to the PC, preferably using the original USB cable you got with your phone. Odin should detect your device and a BLUE box will show up with the COM port number. (Be sure, the SAMSUNG-drivers are installed on your PC!)
  6. Do NOT tick any extra boxes. The only options to be ticked are F.Reset Time and Auto-Reboot.
  7. Click the start button, wait for Odin to say 'PASS' in a GREEN box. Once the flash is complete, your phone will reboot, and you can disconnect your phone from the PC.

Can anyone tell me, does doing the above (flashing an older stock rom with Odin) trip Knox? Meaning I won't be able to use Google Pay or anything like that? 

First Poster

Robotson just posted the instructions. I used sammobile and found the last rom before oreo that was pushed out by my network provider. I used the instructions from sammobile and it was done in 15min. To be honest . It's very easy and simple. Then I unlocked developer mode and stopped auto software update. I still get a "update now" message in the setting menu but no where else. So I just ignore it. Everything feels like it was 5 months ago except I lost Knox. Hope it helps. All the best

Apprentice

@SV2 wrote:

Robotson just posted the instructions. I used sammobile and found the last rom before oreo that was pushed out by my network provider. I used the instructions from sammobile and it was done in 15min. To be honest . It's very easy and simple. Then I unlocked developer mode and stopped auto software update. I still get a "update now" message in the setting menu but no where else. So I just ignore it. Everything feels like it was 5 months ago except I lost Knox. Hope it helps. All the best

Thanks - so yeah those instructions I posted are what you used? 

But you *did* lose Knox? I was under the impression from my research that using Odin meant you would not lose Knox? 

Top Liked Authors