Support

Open search

Cell Standby/Android System/Google Play Services battery drain for Oreo on S7

Apprentice

@Tester3 wrote:

For whats it worth I used a solution posted earlier by Franky5 and it worked for me.

In theory, changing Background Process Limit to 3 (or to anything other than "Standard") should worsen battery life, not improve  it.

Navigator

@Droiderat wrote:

@Tester3 wrote:

For whats it worth I used a solution posted earlier by Franky5 and it worked for me.

In theory, changing Background Process Limit to 3 (or to anything other than "Standard") should worsen battery life, not improve  it.

It will only worsen it if you are always multitasking with tons of apps all the time. If you just use one app it will improve your battery life. The best thing would definitely be stop all the useless pointless background processes that samsung activates on our phones without asking nor allowing to stop them but you know, we can't. 

Found the standby cell issue on A5 2017 too. It seems that they can't manage to get out of this

Explorer
The exy version of the s9 and s9 plus are bad, 5 hrs SOT???? that's bad.
Apprentice

@Carolll wrote:

@Droiderat wrote:

@Tester3 wrote:

It will only worsen it if you are always multitasking with tons of apps all the time. If you just use one app it will improve your battery life. The best thing would definitely be stop all the useless pointless background processes that samsung activates on our phones without asking nor allowing to stop them but you know, we can't. 

You are not correct, and you don't understand how this works.  As is sometimes stated, it might better be called the "Background Cache Limit".  What it does it set the number of apps that can be cached in memory (assuming that you have enough memory).  Setting it to 3 limits the number of apps in the cache to 3, even if you have an extra GB of RAM.  If it is set to "Standard", then the OS only wipes out the cache on an "as needed" basis.  Why does setting it to 3 increase battery usage?  Because it takes more battery to load an app from ROM than it does to load it from RAM.  Setting the number lower forces apps out of the cache, and therefore forces them to be reloaded the next time they are used (and they *will* be reused).  It is helpful for debugging, but it absolutely isn't doing what you think it is doing, and it isn't helping to save your battery (because your phone is using many more than 3 apps at all times).  It increases your battery usage, as well as impairing your performance (it makes the phone slower).  In essence, this setting change is a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

First Poster

Screenshot_20180805-161549_Settings.jpg

Screenshot_20180820-083427_Settings.jpg

I also have the same problem.

Cell standby and android system use high battry power when im not using my devide.

Please help me to fix this.

First Poster
Can u help me to flash my s7 edge.
Im in a trouble
Navigator

@Droiderat wrote:
You are not correct, and you don't understand how this works.  As is sometimes stated, it might better be called the "Background Cache Limit".  What it does it set the number of apps that can be cached in memory (assuming that you have enough memory).  Setting it to 3 limits the number of apps in the cache to 3, even if you have an extra GB of RAM.  If it is set to "Standard", then the OS only wipes out the cache on an "as needed" basis.  Why does setting it to 3 increase battery usage?  Because it takes more battery to load an app from ROM than it does to load it from RAM.  Setting the number lower forces apps out of the cache, and therefore forces them to be reloaded the next time they are used (and they *will* be reused).  It is helpful for debugging, but it absolutely isn't doing what you think it is doing, and it isn't helping to save your battery (because your phone is using many more than 3 apps at all times).  It increases your battery usage, as well as impairing your performance (it makes the phone slower).  In essence, this setting change is a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Of course it's meant for devs so the standard behaviour will be the best in most cases. Also I don't think that making the launcher reload every time you press Home would be enjoyable. However, it would be pretty hard for anyone here to really know if the other users understand things. Non-cached-apps reload power consumption does not interfere on the same level as the standby cell issue because it's related to a modem/mobile data issue (as far as we know), so the problem we are trying to figure out here is not about loading apps. Limiting cached background apps probably can block something related to the standby cell issue that is not directly related to the limit itself (*plot twist*), in fact the user that experienced the improvement stated that the battery drain caused by the standby cell issue was gone even if the limit had gone back to standard.

@Buddhimal wrote:
Can u help me to flash my s7 edge.
Im in a trouble

I think you'd better go to XDA forums 

Explorer

Hi guys, 

Just had a chat with one of Samsung's executives in Romania after I've sent them at least a dozen of emails regarding this issue and I was astonished when he told me that I am probably the only one reporting this problem in Romania and Bulgaria.  Of course that's a lot of bull but just to be sure, is there anyone from Romania or Bulgaria (Samsung Bulgaria is affiliated to Samsung Romania) experiencing the battery drain on an S7 Flat with the following update ?: 

Baseband: G930FXXU2ERGC 

Built: R16NW.G930FXXU2ERGE

Security Patch: 1 July 2018 

Please let me know. 

S7 FLAT in Poland still no update.

Baseband: G930FXXU2ERD6

Built: R16NW.G930FXXU2ERE8

Security Patch: 1 April 2018 

Battery standby after whole day reach 50% (as they told me its a bug and still it dont drain battery). Thats wierd because screen (14%) and system (8%) use whole 24%  and i have now 16%. My battery performance on nougat was 12-14h without energy saving and now it's live for 10-12h without AOD, HD resolution, CPU lowered ferq. What is this SAMUNG !?

First Poster

According to Sammobile in some european countries there is a new S7 firmware: G930FXXU2ERH1 with august security level patch.

In this website you can find changelist of this update: https://www.androidinfotech.com/2018/08/samsung-galaxy-s7-sm-g930f-august-2018-ota.html  In the second half of the list you can find "Battery drain issue Fixed."  Has anyone tried this update yet?

Top Liked Authors