Support

Open search

Cell Standby/Android System/Google Play Services battery drain for Oreo on S7

Apprentice

I will probaby wait for another update since I'm stuck now and can't go back to Nouget. My battery was really really perfect before the Augest patch. It would last at least 5-6 hours of SOT. right now, it barely lasts 3 hours. I mean, come on, if the issue was from the battery, it would at least start dying in a slow pace and I would be able to notice that. I've installed many battery health indicator apps and all of them say that my battery health is great. I've even tried flashing using odin, and did a factory reset, but nothing has changed. I don't know what else I'm suppose to do. I'm pissed right now...

Explorer

@AliTheMan wrote:

I've got the update and so far the battery drain is still there.... I don't know if I should replace the battery or not. The Samsung member app says my battery health is good and nothing is wrong with it. Should I replace the battery? Any suggestions would be much appreciated 

No, some went to the samsung service center, had their battery replaced, and there was no change. Still *****ty battery life with a brand new battery. From the look of it it must be a security update. Except changing your phone or downgrading to an older firmware, I don't think there's a lot to be done.

First Poster

Is anyone on the forum based in the UK or Ireland? I am going to email the CEO using the link below. Would be good if a few other people could do the same to bring this forum to their attention. email-the-ceo

Apprentice

Well I got the new September patch too. 

Right now I won't update since I see some people here says it doesn't change anything. 

I don't know why Samsung is doing this thing. Why would they send each month security update without fixing that stupid issue? 

I've seen someone in XDA said he solved the battery drain issue on oreo by flashing the modem of nougat but staying on oreo. I asked him for specific instructions on how to do that. 

Does anyone know how it's possible?

Explorer

@Fightmilk wrote:

Is anyone on the forum based in the UK or Ireland? I am going to email the CEO using the link below. Would be good if a few other people could do the same to bring this forum to their attention. email-the-ceo

Thanks for the link mate. I'll send them an email in the evening. This is becoming a joke now. I'm seriously beginning to believe they are doing this deliberately. Changing bootloader to v3 (without any particular reason) in the latest update so people cannot safety go back to Nougat confirms my theory. They basically want to kill S7 and make us buying new phones. I might actually make their wish come true, but my new phone will not be Samsung, that's for sure...

Explorer

@OrenGazala wrote:

Well I got the new September patch too. 

Right now I won't update since I see some people here says it doesn't change anything. 

I don't know why Samsung is doing this thing. Why would they send each month security update without fixing that stupid issue? 

I've seen someone in XDA said he solved the battery drain issue on oreo by flashing the modem of nougat but staying on oreo. I asked him for specific instructions on how to do that. 

Does anyone know how it's possible?

I think I've seen that thread on XDA forum, but that was resolving standby battery drain. I resolved mine by switching VoLTE Calls option off. However, many of us here have problems with battery drain while the phone is being used. Android shows that the screen is the biggest battery drainer, which is obviously not true, because that problem started with firmware update released around July. First version of Oreo which was released around May was perfectly fine for me. I was happy until that unfortunate July's update arrived...

Highlighted
Apprentice

Will Samsung ever update the S7 to 8.1?

Explorer

@OrenGazala wrote:

Well I have decided to wait for the next update and that's it.

If Samsung won't be able to make it be better, Ill revert to nougat.

I saw the discussion here about the bootloader version, mine is 2 which means I can do that.

I also checked for custom roms in XDA, saw there is a big lineage os 15.1 thread development going on there but it is currently doesbtd support Bluetooth calls (which is critic in car or with zungle glasses).

Moreover, anyone can confirm something about the official 8.1 update to our variant?

And where the hell are Samsung staff members in this thread? All I can see is fraustrating customers complaining about the battery drain and that's it. This is ridiculouse.. 

My next phone won't be Samsung for sure!

@OrenGazala actually I don't think there will ever be an 8.1 version on the S7s, they are not able to get the 8.0 version right, can you imagine how many bugs we would need to bare on the 8.1, God forbid 😂. 

However GSM Arena is announcing a September patch, the G930FXXS3ERHD. Did anyone got that yet ? And if yes, is it fixing the battery drainage issue ? 

Here is the article from GSM Arena published yesterday, September 15:

https://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s7_and_s7_edge_get_googles_september_security_patch-amp-33276....

Apprentice

For those how went back to Nouget, is the battery life any better? did it solve the drain issue for you?

Explorer

Just got september's update.Screenshot_20180918-222553_Software update.jpg

Will keep you posted, looks like a security update.

Top Liked Authors