Support

Open search

Cell Standby/Android System/Google Play Services battery drain for Oreo on S7

Explorer

Could you tell me HOW you reverted back to Nougat as I am trying to do so myself but I get this error message in ODIN:

sw rev check fail device 4 binary 3

Looks like the bootloader cannot be downgraded. So HOW did you revert back from OREO bootloader to NOUGAT bootloader?

Highlighted
Apprentice

Hi,

just to share my experience going to Nougat. When I made all the instructions, at the very end of the process, ODIN 3.13.1 revert with FAIL. Phone become a brick, Vol down+On/Off for several seconds switched it off but it switched on again with Error massage on the screen and suggestion to try Samsung Switch PS software to make restoration. Installed it and tried but it did not recognize the phone in this state. After that, I downloaded Oreo files and tried to flash with ODIN. Again I got FAIL message at the end. After that I found info in internet that newer version of ODIN can help but 3.13.1. is newest. I tried older 3.12.7 using Oreo files and within one second (not a few minutes as was twice before) ODIN changed the status to Success, phone restarted ok. After that, using 3.12.7 I tried to flash Nougat again (a few minutes) and again got FAIL, right after tried to flash Oreo and after ONE SECOND status Success. This time I checked installed Android version and it is Nougat.

So I don’t know how it works but definitely not in proper way. However finally, my phone is not brick, on Nougat with normal battery drain for 3 days of monitoring.

Hope this can help.

Flashing just the cp from Samsung's latest firm ware has solved this issue for me. Cell standby has vanished. 

Explorer

Alas, tried everything you mentioned plus a dozen other ways, like flashing latest nougat via different versions of odin. Only one flashing passed for my device: latest Samsung's official firmware. I've read on 4pda that with one of the latest nougat updates the BL (bootloader) was upgraded and that it's the same as on oreo and so I thought I might downgrade. Tough luck! I imagine the problem might be my specific device which is from Canada, FMC region.

Navigator

@Robotson wrote:

@SmashMix wrote:

@Robotson wrote:

@Robotson wrote:

@SV2 wrote:

I agree. What i find really stupid is that us S7 owners are the ones who are most likely to upgrade our phone in the near future. I was defintely going to buy the new S9 but after this issue, I am done with samsung. Top tip samsung, keep the S7 and S8 owners happy or you will lose repeat business.

I ended up just downgrading back to android nougat official rom (getting 1.5 days again)

Right, i'm giving up on Samsung fixing this - I'm going to do the same.. but hopefully if I just go back to the first Oreo update that will work, as battery life was fine on that? 

E.g. which exact files do we need? Will this do it: [G930U] Official Stock Firmware Android 8 OREO for Unlocked S7 (G930UUEU4CRG2) - or does that long number need to match mine? E.g. mine is G935FXXU2ERH1?

Or is this a better bet? - https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/galaxy-s7-edge/SM-G935F/H3G/download/G935FXXU2EREL/226507/

And how about these instructions on Sammobile? Is this all I need to do, or do I need to root the phone first, or unlock its bootloader or anything?: 

1. Download Odin v3.13.1
  2. Extract the firmware file you just downloaded. You should get 5 files:

AP (System &Recovery)

BL (Bootloader)

CP (Modem / Radio)

CSC_*** (Country / Region / Operator)

HOME_CSC_*** (Country / Region / Operator)

3. Add each file to it's respective field in Odin v3.13.1. Use CSC_*** if you want to do a clean flash or HOME_CSC_*** if you want to keep your apps and data.
  4. Reboot your phone in Download / Odin mode (make sure your device is off) with the following button combo: POWER + VOLUME DOWN + BIXBY

Other options in case first option did not work or isn't possible.

Option 2 VOLUME DOWN + VOLUME UP than USB cable

Option 3 POWER + VOLUME DOWN + VOLUME UP

Option 4 POWER + VOLUME DOWN + HOME BUTTON

Option 5 (Note9) USB cable + VOLUME DOWN + BIXBY

5. Once in download mode, connect your phone to the PC, preferably using the original USB cable you got with your phone. Odin should detect your device and a BLUE box will show up with the COM port number. (Be sure, the SAMSUNG-drivers are installed on your PC!)
  6. Do NOT tick any extra boxes. The only options to be ticked are F.Reset Time and Auto-Reboot.
  7. Click the start button, wait for Odin to say 'PASS' in a GREEN box. Once the flash is complete, your phone will reboot, and you can disconnect your phone from the PC.

Can anyone tell me, does doing the above (flashing an older stock rom with Odin) trip Knox? Meaning I won't be able to use Google Pay or anything like that? 

You don't have to root your phone to flash Samsung's OFFICIAL ROM with Odin. Just make a backup of everything you need (it will wipe whole your phone), make sure you choose Nougat ROM for your model and !IMPORTANT! you will not change the bootloader version!!! from 2 to 1!!! (It is easy to check from ROM version: G935FXX(U/S: U stands for UPDATE, S for SECURITY PATCH)(2: AS NUMBER TELLS YOU BL VERSION)XXXX and follow the instructions. Knox will NOT trip, it will stay 0.

Note! Flashing custom ROM, custom recovery or getting root rights will trip your Knox.

Thank you! There's just a couple of things that I don't understand though...

1. You say make a backup - but as far as I understood, that can only be done with something like TWRP, but then that will trip Knox won't it? Do you mean with Samsung Switch?

2. Can I not use the first Oreo ROM instead of Nougat? As that first one was OK - there was no Cell Standby battery drain. 

3. When you say "It is easy to check from ROM version: G935FXX(U/S: U stands for UPDATE, S for SECURITY PATCH)(2: AS NUMBER TELLS YOU BL VERSION)XXXX" - so the one on Sammobile called 'G935FXXU2EREL' is good for me to use?

Does FXX mean unlocked/region-free? 

1. Make a backup using Samsung Cloud. Check that also Android's own backup using Google Drive is ON. Go in settings to check that.

2. You can flash whatever you want: Oreo, Nougat etc. Just keep in mind what I said about bootload version - do NOT "downgrade" it from version 2 to 1 You definitely have version 2, so flash only ROMs which has version 2 bootloader.

3. Please, google that. I don't know - personally I have international phone model. Just check your model number and search for that info and suitable ROM Oreo or Nougat.

Navigator

@Rockchagin wrote:

Could you tell me HOW you reverted back to Nougat as I am trying to do so myself but I get this error message in ODIN:

Looks like the bootloader cannot be downgraded. So HOW did you revert back from OREO bootloader to NOUGAT bootloader?

Do NOT downgrade bootloader in any circumstances! The result of that is unknown, but someone on forums said that there is a risk to loose IMEI or etc.

Please, read my previous post. You can find it above this post. Shortly: check that bootloader is version 2 in the ROM you are trying to flash.

Explorer

@SmashMix wrote:

@Rockchagin wrote:

Do NOT downgrade bootloader in any circumstances! The result of that is unknown, but someone on forums said that there is a risk to loose IMEI or etc.

Please, read my previous post. You can find it above this post. Shortly: check that bootloader is version 2 in the ROM you are trying to flash.

Yes, I'm aware of the fact the BL should be version 2. However I wasn't able to find a nougat rom with such BL! Please point me at the right direction! 😟

Explorer

Screenshot_20180906-213951_Settings.jpg

Screenshot_20180906-211914_Chrome.jpg

The latest nougat is version 3

But on my device the version is 4!

Where do I get nougat with BL 4?

Explorer

Are you sure?

Which model and region is your device? 

Apprentice

Any news on the problem? did anyone figure out something?

Top Liked Authors