Support

Open search

Cell Standby/Android System/Google Play Services battery drain for Oreo on S7

Navigator

@IagoDuarte wrote:

That is Brazilian Portuguese.

About the drain, Resetting the network settings and setting Data to 2g when not in use seems to help a little.

Also, can this cell drain be a Wifi related problem? there were a lot of people that saved battery during standby by setting a Static IP for their phones on their routers.

Is it our problem as a customer and do we have to do these tricks as a customer? Or do we have the right to have a working phone as it is "from the box"? Did we pay greatly over 500€ for each phone to play around with solutions to fix issues, to get our phones in condition as it should have been done an ages by Samsung itself?

Highlighted
Navigator

@Robotson wrote:

@Robotson wrote:

@SV2 wrote:

I agree. What i find really stupid is that us S7 owners are the ones who are most likely to upgrade our phone in the near future. I was defintely going to buy the new S9 but after this issue, I am done with samsung. Top tip samsung, keep the S7 and S8 owners happy or you will lose repeat business.

I ended up just downgrading back to android nougat official rom (getting 1.5 days again)

Right, i'm giving up on Samsung fixing this - I'm going to do the same.. but hopefully if I just go back to the first Oreo update that will work, as battery life was fine on that? 

E.g. which exact files do we need? Will this do it: [G930U] Official Stock Firmware Android 8 OREO for Unlocked S7 (G930UUEU4CRG2) - or does that long number need to match mine? E.g. mine is G935FXXU2ERH1?

Or is this a better bet? - https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/galaxy-s7-edge/SM-G935F/H3G/download/G935FXXU2EREL/226507/

And how about these instructions on Sammobile? Is this all I need to do, or do I need to root the phone first, or unlock its bootloader or anything?: 

1. Download Odin v3.13.1
  2. Extract the firmware file you just downloaded. You should get 5 files:

AP (System &Recovery)

BL (Bootloader)

CP (Modem / Radio)

CSC_*** (Country / Region / Operator)

HOME_CSC_*** (Country / Region / Operator)

3. Add each file to it's respective field in Odin v3.13.1. Use CSC_*** if you want to do a clean flash or HOME_CSC_*** if you want to keep your apps and data.
  4. Reboot your phone in Download / Odin mode (make sure your device is off) with the following button combo: POWER + VOLUME DOWN + BIXBY

Other options in case first option did not work or isn't possible.

Option 2 VOLUME DOWN + VOLUME UP than USB cable

Option 3 POWER + VOLUME DOWN + VOLUME UP

Option 4 POWER + VOLUME DOWN + HOME BUTTON

Option 5 (Note9) USB cable + VOLUME DOWN + BIXBY

5. Once in download mode, connect your phone to the PC, preferably using the original USB cable you got with your phone. Odin should detect your device and a BLUE box will show up with the COM port number. (Be sure, the SAMSUNG-drivers are installed on your PC!)
  6. Do NOT tick any extra boxes. The only options to be ticked are F.Reset Time and Auto-Reboot.
  7. Click the start button, wait for Odin to say 'PASS' in a GREEN box. Once the flash is complete, your phone will reboot, and you can disconnect your phone from the PC.

Can anyone tell me, does doing the above (flashing an older stock rom with Odin) trip Knox? Meaning I won't be able to use Google Pay or anything like that? 

You don't have to root your phone to flash Samsung's OFFICIAL ROM with Odin. Just make a backup of everything you need (it will wipe whole your phone), make sure you choose Nougat ROM for your model and !IMPORTANT! you will not change the bootloader version!!! from 2 to 1!!! (It is easy to check from ROM version: G935FXX(U/S: U stands for UPDATE, S for SECURITY PATCH)(2: AS NUMBER TELLS YOU BL VERSION)XXXX and follow the instructions. Knox will NOT trip, it will stay 0.

Note! Flashing custom ROM, custom recovery or getting root rights will trip your Knox.

Apprentice

@SmashMix wrote:

@Robotson wrote:

@Robotson wrote:

@SV2 wrote:

I agree. What i find really stupid is that us S7 owners are the ones who are most likely to upgrade our phone in the near future. I was defintely going to buy the new S9 but after this issue, I am done with samsung. Top tip samsung, keep the S7 and S8 owners happy or you will lose repeat business.

I ended up just downgrading back to android nougat official rom (getting 1.5 days again)

Right, i'm giving up on Samsung fixing this - I'm going to do the same.. but hopefully if I just go back to the first Oreo update that will work, as battery life was fine on that? 

E.g. which exact files do we need? Will this do it: [G930U] Official Stock Firmware Android 8 OREO for Unlocked S7 (G930UUEU4CRG2) - or does that long number need to match mine? E.g. mine is G935FXXU2ERH1?

Or is this a better bet? - https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/galaxy-s7-edge/SM-G935F/H3G/download/G935FXXU2EREL/226507/

And how about these instructions on Sammobile? Is this all I need to do, or do I need to root the phone first, or unlock its bootloader or anything?: 

1. Download Odin v3.13.1
  2. Extract the firmware file you just downloaded. You should get 5 files:

AP (System &Recovery)

BL (Bootloader)

CP (Modem / Radio)

CSC_*** (Country / Region / Operator)

HOME_CSC_*** (Country / Region / Operator)

3. Add each file to it's respective field in Odin v3.13.1. Use CSC_*** if you want to do a clean flash or HOME_CSC_*** if you want to keep your apps and data.
  4. Reboot your phone in Download / Odin mode (make sure your device is off) with the following button combo: POWER + VOLUME DOWN + BIXBY

Other options in case first option did not work or isn't possible.

Option 2 VOLUME DOWN + VOLUME UP than USB cable

Option 3 POWER + VOLUME DOWN + VOLUME UP

Option 4 POWER + VOLUME DOWN + HOME BUTTON

Option 5 (Note9) USB cable + VOLUME DOWN + BIXBY

5. Once in download mode, connect your phone to the PC, preferably using the original USB cable you got with your phone. Odin should detect your device and a BLUE box will show up with the COM port number. (Be sure, the SAMSUNG-drivers are installed on your PC!)
  6. Do NOT tick any extra boxes. The only options to be ticked are F.Reset Time and Auto-Reboot.
  7. Click the start button, wait for Odin to say 'PASS' in a GREEN box. Once the flash is complete, your phone will reboot, and you can disconnect your phone from the PC.

Can anyone tell me, does doing the above (flashing an older stock rom with Odin) trip Knox? Meaning I won't be able to use Google Pay or anything like that? 

You don't have to root your phone to flash Samsung's OFFICIAL ROM with Odin. Just make a backup of everything you need (it will wipe whole your phone), make sure you choose Nougat ROM for your model and !IMPORTANT! you will not change the bootloader version!!! from 2 to 1!!! (It is easy to check from ROM version: G935FXX(U/S: U stands for UPDATE, S for SECURITY PATCH)(2: AS NUMBER TELLS YOU BL VERSION)XXXX and follow the instructions. Knox will NOT trip, it will stay 0.

Note! Flashing custom ROM, custom recovery or getting root rights will trip your Knox.

Thank you! There's just a couple of things that I don't understand though...

1. You say make a backup - but as far as I understood, that can only be done with something like TWRP, but then that will trip Knox won't it? Do you mean with Samsung Switch?

2. Can I not use the first Oreo ROM instead of Nougat? As that first one was OK - there was no Cell Standby battery drain. 

3. When you say "It is easy to check from ROM version: G935FXX(U/S: U stands for UPDATE, S for SECURITY PATCH)(2: AS NUMBER TELLS YOU BL VERSION)XXXX" - so the one on Sammobile called 'G935FXXU2EREL' is good for me to use?

Does FXX mean unlocked/region-free? 

Explorer

It has already been 3 months now, I don't have any hope left that samsung is going to fix this.

Some manufacturers had the same problem after updating to oreo (one plus I think), but it was fixed way faster. I would like to say they're doing it on purpose but I previously owned an S3 which got an update screwing some memory chip at the time. No offense to everyone working at samsung but if their phone are built the way they're programming the software part, I'm not surprised some of them are exploding.

Just looking at how they're managing firmwares & completely different release dates for region / countries (delay of more than 2 months for the same firmware between 2 countries), and you'll have an idea as to how they are poorly organised.

I will keep using the phone since I bought it barely 1,5 years ago, but it will be a good reminder never to buy a samsung product ever again 🙂

First Poster

I've just done the update and I now can't use Google or read emails. Other apps aren't working either. Like you I don't want to do factory reset. I'm ready to throw my phone.

Navigator

@Hayley2 wrote:

I've just done the update and I now can't use Google or read emails. Other apps aren't working either. Like you I don't want to do factory reset. I'm ready to throw my phone.

Pardon, what update? If i did get what you're talking about, try to clear data and uninstall updates of google play services app

Apprentice
Hey, I'm following this topic for 3 months already and I don't find any improvement with Samsung updates.
Right now with August security patch with erh6 (BTU) I get approximately 3.5 SOT , I don't know if it's good or bad for our phone.. it seems bad because 3.5 hours is nothing at my opinion.
Contact Samsung members was useless, got and generic answer as everyone else.
With August patch I don't see any standby drain though.. at night with WiFi and mobile data off and only alarm waiting, I get maximum 2% drain in 6-7 hours, which seems great.
I think the drain is not related to standby anymore, and more from WiFi/4G data when it's toggled on..

I hope Samsung will save our phone within the next update.
Explorer

It's really annoying. There's one thing you can try and turn on data saver, it significantly improves battery life on oreo. 

Apprentice

Some people say that they got another August update, which around 31 MB.

Here is the Post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyS7/comments/9csgcl/august_security_patch_out_canada/

Someone said that it didn't help with the drain issue...

Apprentice

I fixed my drain by flashing the newest modem/baseband file via ODIN 3.13

Screenshot_20180904-130301_Settings.jpg

Screenshot_20180904-130307_Settings.jpg

Screenshot_20180904-130311_Settings.jpg

Top Liked Authors