Support

Open search

Cell Standby/Android System/Google Play Services battery drain for Oreo on S7

AntS Moderator

@James0071 wrote:
Hi,

@SmashMix Yes James0071 is still here and active! I've been reading all the posts and a good deal of them are really helpful. Not being an expert in flashing roms etc. I've steered clear of modification so far but been really interested to see the results; so far unfortunately not there yet....

Do you think that because I started the post (thank goodness as it's been **so** much more helpful than Samsung) I can change the title? Willing to give it a try as you have made some good suggestions.

Us Mods can do that for you. Happy to change it to:

(Any other suggestions/additions are welcomed.)

Not much to update folks with on this one, apart what some of you may already know (or guessed): the Cell Standby % measurement has been determined as inaccurate, and this is/will be addressed in an update.

The developers haven’t been able to determine a singular/common cause of battery drain from the error reports so far. Stuff like background processes; Location; Wake Lock; Google Information; Bluetooth and 3rd party apps all appear as contributors in the various logs; but nothing in them that jumps out, or a common cause outside of what would be expected from a more resource demanding OS.

The software team have advised me to advise you guys to send them log files/error reports via the Members app (if you’re able) once the battery is almost empty, along with battery stats screenshots, to help them further analyse those specific instances.

Prince_Community_Sig03.jpg

Say "Hello!" to the Community in The Introduce Yourself Thread.

Highlighted
Apprentice

Before, when I sent system log and screenshots through the Memeber app, Samsung rep asked me to send screenshots via e-mail provided as it was impossible to get these (ha-ha, Member app is not working properly allowing to get system log, attach pictures but finally no success with the pictures).

So simple thing to do it but could be a mess with the files. Also if I do it now, how our regional reps will understand to which forum this to be adressed. any chance to collect the data from everybody and share it with engineering by one shot?

Navigator

@AntS wrote:

@James0071 wrote:
Hi,

@SmashMixYes James0071 is still here and active! I've been reading all the posts and a good deal of them are really helpful. Not being an expert in flashing roms etc. I've steered clear of modification so far but been really interested to see the results; so far unfortunately not there yet....

Do you think that because I started the post (thank goodness as it's been **so** much more helpful than Samsung) I can change the title? Willing to give it a try as you have made some good suggestions.

Us Mods can do that for you. Happy to change it to:

(Any other suggestions/additions are welcomed.)

Not much to update folks with on this one, apart what some of you may already know (or guessed): the Cell Standby % measurement has been determined as inaccurate, and this is/will be addressed in an update.

The developers haven’t been able to determine a singular/common cause of battery drain from the error reports so far. Stuff like background processes; Location; Wake Lock; Google Information; Bluetooth and 3rd party apps all appear as contributors in the various logs; but nothing in them that jumps out, or a common cause outside of what would be expected from a more resource demanding OS.

The software team have advised me to advise you guys to send them log files/error reports via the Members app (if you’re able) once the battery is almost empty, along with battery stats screenshots, to help them further analyse those specific instances.

Thank you, @AntS, for keeping us up-to-date!

That is good advise to send report on nearly empty battery. In this way information in log will be more complete. I will definitely try that.

And probably will be great to informate Samsung stuff all over the globe to collect this data in one place addressing it exactly to engineering/software teams.

Is there any code/ticket number used "inside the house" in Samsung which will tell your stuff where reports should be redirected to addressing this issue?

AntS Moderator

Different regions have their own methods of collecting and sharing data; but I do know that the various European region software teams have been looking into the reports of this issue together, and that they’ve been speaking to their equivalents in Korea about it.

Putting “Battery drain after Oreo update” in an error report description helps flag it for those teams – but I’d guess that most of you (if not all) are doing something like that already.

Prince_Community_Sig03.jpg

Say "Hello!" to the Community in The Introduce Yourself Thread.

Explorer

Have you guys tried the latest firmware (released today)? I've applied it and unfortunately there is no change. So far I'm under impression that it is even worse. 20 minutes of browsing in Chrome via WiFi has consumed 6%. That's way too much.

Navigator

@l3ulky wrote:

Have you guys tried the latest firmware (released today)? I've applied it and unfortunately there is no change. So far I'm under impression that it is even worse. 20 minutes of browsing in Chrome via WiFi has consumed 6%. That's way too much.

Exact same issue. It's even worse than the July update.

Navigator

Right my findings thus far.  I generally gauge my battery life by the amount left when I come home from work.  I generally have the same usage each day mostly made up of listening to podcasts and Spotify.  

On my previous phone an iPhone SE I came home from work around 70% battery life.  On S7E on Nougat I came home with similar, somewhere between 65-70%,  On Oreo I came home with 50-55% and it was similar on all Oreo updates.  Now on the August update, I came home with 44% so its definitely worse.

Now looking at battery stats the biggest hog was idle, closely followed by Android System.  In the app side of things the biggest drain was Chrome at 22%, this surprised me as I hardly browsed the web today at all, maybe 5-10 mins max where as I had Pocketcasts on minimum 5 hours yet it was near the bottom of the list. So all is not well on Oreo.  I should add I noticed A5 2017 users complaining of similar on XDA and I have heard of S8 users with similar issues so Oreo has issues.

I should add my battery health is 93% so my battery is not fcuked.  Its back to Nougat I go.

Apprentice

It's not that hard. The s7 is 2,5 years old now. Samsung breaks their devices on purpose to puss people to the s8 and s9. It has been like this for many years now. Every update you install now will slightly make it worse. Ignoring updates is impossible. You can't turn an off and you will keep getting notifications as long as you don't update. So either buy an s9 or stop buying Samsung products all together. I would strongly advise against buying older models of Samsung. You will buy a bad battery device even when new out of the box. Samsung don't want your s7 to last for 6 years... they want you to buy a new one every year. In my opinion a very poor way of selling products 

Explorer

@AntS, Welcome back to our corner of misery and desperation! Ghost

@AntS wrote:

May I advise you to advise The Software team to initiate more direct communication channel?  I can generate any logs they need but my regional support morons are programmed to dump all error reports. Right here on this forum and on XDA, Reddit etc. are many users who will be happy to help with logs, screenshots and any step-by-step instruction. Also I among others can test any alpha/beta version of patch. Let us to help you to help us... something like that.

Apprentice

Same happened with my gear s3. It lasted an easy 2 days (48 hours) on a full battery. The week after the new gear watch was announced I received an update for my gear s3. No new options, just minor fixes they say. And all of a sudden the gear s3 lasts for only one day... resetted the thing. Nothing. A friend of mine resetted his s7 and put a new battery in it after 2 years heavy usage. Not a minute more battery time on a full charge... Samsung... stop messing with the battery on purpose on older devices please.

Top Liked Authors