Support

Open search

Cell Standby/Android System/Google Play Services battery drain for Oreo on S7

Explorer

@SmashMix wrote:
Any news from you regarding drain issue?  

From my end, after trying the latest modem which is ERGC, I went back to ERG2 since it had less battery drain. Constantly getting 0.6%/he drain at night at idle with WiFi ON and AOD OFF.

Navigator

@mite_jan wrote:

Check the samsung member app under notices there is news that for s7 and edge there will be update in september

Hahaha.. So only 4 month after making our devices useless and weakening our batteries because of more recharge cycles that we needed before Oreo on Nougat. Well done!

Explorer

@SmashMix wrote

Stop messing with other's minds! This is incorrect information! You do NOT need TWRP to flash modem (CP), AP, bootloader (BL) and any other official ROM files or parts of it!!!

You're right. I haven't used ODIN in years to flash bootloaders and modems, etc.... that I didn't think about it so to clarify either TWRP or ODIN can be used to flash these files.

Navigator

@Xsever wrote:

Yes Samsung cloud works because the ROM is a stock rom. By flashing twrp and rooting, no you don't lose your data at all. As soon as you have twrp, you can do a full backup before you dirty flash DevBase and you'll be set with all your data intact. 

Wait a minute.. What? I will paste the dev's own answer:

My question:
Originally Posted by smashmix 

This ROM have to be flashed only using custom recovery, if I got it right. I have one question then. I have now stock Oreo with stock recovery without root (Knox is ticked because I was playing with custom recovery and root before). If I flash now TWRP (on top of stock Oreo using Odin) to flash this ROM will I loose my data? Same thing asked differently: will flashing TWRP wipe my data? 
I'm planning to dirty flash this ROM over the stock one.

Answer from _alexndr

In your case your device will not boot even in if you just flash TWRP over stock ROM without other actions (even without rooting!) - that's why you need already rooted stock ROM with TWRP already installed to make it possible to dirty flash DevBase over stock ROM

Do I have to believe you or dev I really don't want to loose my data.. again.. sick and tired of setting everything up from scratch

Explorer

@SmashMix wrote:
My question:

This ROM have to be flashed only using custom recovery, if I got it right. I have one question then. I have now stock Oreo with stock recovery without root (Knox is ticked because I was playing with custom recovery and root before). If I flash now TWRP (on top of stock Oreo using Odin) to flash this ROM will I loose my data? Same thing asked differently: will flashing TWRP wipe my data? 

Answer from _alexndr

In your case your device will not boot even in if you just flash TWRP over stock ROM without other actions (even without rooting!) - that's why you need already rooted stock ROM with TWRP already installed to make it possible to dirty flash DevBase over stock ROM

Do I have to believe you or dev I really don't want to loose my data.. again.. sick and tired of setting everything up from scratch

In this case, obvisouly believe the dev but how can one get a stock rom with twrp installed and root if they don't flash twrp first and then flash the zip file to root it using twrp or odin?

Before this DevBase rom, i was running stock Nougat which i rooted using twrp and then dirty flashed DevBase on top.

I suggest you reask alexndr to get more info.

Navigator

@Xsever wrote:

@SmashMix wrote:
My question:

Answer from _alexndr

In this case, obvisouly believe the dev but how can one get a stock rom with twrp installed and root if they don't flash twrp first and then flash the zip file to root it using twrp or odin?

Before this DevBase rom, i was running stock Nougat which i rooted using twrp and then dirty flashed DevBase on top.

I suggest you reask alexndr to get more info.

Well main thing is that I'm able to restore data from Samsung cloud after taking all these steps. If I can keep data, it will be awesome. If I'm not, then backup restoring is the solution.

You rooted stock Nougat before flashing Oreo. Did the rooting process wipe the data? If I got you right you managed to keep all your data in whole process all the way from stock Nougat -> flashing TWRP -> rooting it -> dirtyflashing DevBase?

Apprentice

Heads up to all. There is an issue with data becoming invisible to TWRP (but not lost).  You should read the TWRP thread for the S7 on xda.  You should also read the TWRP instructions relating to the Herolte TWRP download.

The short (too short) version is install TWRP w/Odin. Reboot into TWRP.  Go into "Backup", and see whether Data = 0 bytes.  If yes, TWRP can't see it.  If it is a positive number, do a backup of the data (and make sure it is to an external SD card).

If data=0, the fix is to reformat Data from Ext4 to Ext2, and then back to Ext4.  This, however, will cause you to LOSE your present data (so you need to save it before you do all of this, whether to the Samsung cloud or, in my case, using Titanium Backup; once your have finished all of this, you can also save it using TWRP).

Note that you also need to use a custom ROM (according to TWRP).

My "instructions" aren't sufficiently detailed for anyone to follow; they are issued more as a warning, with a rough outline of the procedure and issues.  FWIW, I am using the stock ROM, with TWRP, with Magisk, and with a custom kernel.  It all works, but you need to spend some time educating yourself before you take the plunge.

Apprentice

Before the patch of July my S7's indicator battery was showing 53h and 30m and the battery was lasting 1 and a half days. Now the indicator shows 45h and battery lasts hardly 1 day. I did wipe cache and didnt help.

Please solve the issue. We loved this phone. It is a powerful device and its a pity to decrease its battery and performance due to software problems.  People showed off this phone as the best buy product consumer in 2017. So please don't let them down.

Is there any way to reurn to April's patch?

Explorer

@SmashMix wrote:

You rooted stock Nougat before flashing Oreo. Did the rooting process wipe the data? If I got you right you managed to keep all your data in whole process all the way from stock Nougat -> flashing TWRP -> rooting it -> dirtyflashing DevBase?

My phone had been rooted and with TWRP since Marshmallow so I can't really remember 100% but i don't recall losing data when rooting or installing twrp. You only lose data when you actually wipe it inside TWRP.

Highlighted
Apprentice
I've applied to support through Samsung Members. First replies were: reset and go to service centre. I responded with a lot of text including mentioning this forum and if they do not do something with battery drain, many of us will change samsung for the other manufactures. After this, they asked me to send system journal. I did it and additionally sent print screen with consumer leader Cell. They said that would send it to their engineering. So for couple of weeks no feedback yet. Will see...
Top Liked Authors