Support

Open search

Cell Standby/Android System/Google Play Services battery drain for Oreo on S7

Explorer

Guys, sorry for my questions, but I'm a noob as it comes to using not original firmware.

1. Will it void the warranty? My S7 edge is only a month old.

2. What firmware should I choose? I mean thanks to VSiam I know that I have to flash ERG2, but can it be from another country, as in my there's only ERD6 available? And do I have to flash only modem or the whole firmware? Thanks for answers.

Explorer

ERG2 modem for G930F (Flat):

https://anonfile.com/s5VeEbfeb5/CP_G930FXXU2ERG2_CP10089541_CL13895453_QB18811252_REV00_user_low_shi...

ERG2 modem for G935F (Edge):

https://anonfile.com/ZcYdE5fcbf/CP_G935FXXU2ERG2_CP10089532_CL13895453_QB18810069_REV00_user_low_shi...

@Joakim, You need to flash 1 file only. You will not trigger Knox or lose warranty as long as you flash original not modified files. But after flashing different modem you will not receive OTA updates until you revert it back. Also JFI if you flash different Bootloader, your firmware will change status from Official to Custom and Samsung Pay/Secure Folder/Health... will refuse to work, again until you revert bootloader back.

Flashing instructions at sammobile.com are pretty straightforward. You'll need to install drivers first:

https://developer.samsung.com/galaxy/others/android-usb-driver-for-windows (install, reboot, connect phone)

Entering Download mode is VOLUME DOWN + HOME BUTTON + POWER

Highlighted
Apprentice

Screenshot_20180805-141724_Settings.jpg

Screenshot_20180805-141806_Software update.jpg

With the last patch of July....40% cell standby, WTF!!!!???

Navigator

It seems that you firmware with July patch does not include erg2 modem.

But about 4 hours screen on - is that so bad for your phone ? (Assuming that you are mostly on mobile data).

Regards

Oliver

Apprentice

is there any way to downgrade the update?

i'm charging my phone 2-3 times a day now and use it much less than i used to. Last week i was getting a full day and a bit form a single charge, this software is full of bugs. my s7 edge is useless now which is such a shame

Explorer

@VSiam thanks for help.

One more question: does anybody know when other countries will get offcially ERG2 modem firmware? Cause it's incomprehensible that some countries received it and the others not... It's not a problem like face unlock or any other useless function, but a thing that makes our phones useless :/

I've installed the new update 2 days ago (july security patch (ERG2)) and still have the problem that my battery drains much quicker than with android Nougat. Since the update it doesn't display cell standby as the biggest user anymore, but it also doesn't display the right battery usage percentages anymore (in picture below, total usage is 100-74=26%, but when you add the different percentages per app it only amounts to 10%). I know there can be some difference because of the rounding of the percentages, but a difference of more than 2.5 times is a bit too much. So I think they didn't really solve the cell standby problem, but tweaked the battery usage somehow so it doesn't show cell standby as the biggest user.

Navigator

@Sika17 wrote:

I've installed the new update 2 days ago (july security patch (ERG2)) and still have the problem that my battery drains much quicker than with android Nougat. Since the update it doesn't display cell standby as the biggest user anymore, but it also doesn't display the right battery usage percentages anymore (in picture below, total usage is 100-74=26%, but when you add the different percentages per app it only amounts to 10%). I know there can be some difference because of the rounding of the percentages, but a difference of more than 2.5 times is a bit too much. So I think they didn't really solve the cell standby problem, but tweaked the battery usage somehow so it doesn't show cell standby as the biggest user.

Yes that was exactly my findings also.  Battery life didn't get any better but there was no 1 thing standing out that was eating the battery like before.

Apprentice

@VSiam - bit of a noob regarding flashing Samsungs, but I used to root and flash my old Oneplus One. Just wondering, with the fix you've suggested, does the phone need rooting and the bootloader unlocking etc?

Or can you extract the modem file from the firmware and install it to a stock phone?

I have ERD6 currently with ridiculous cell standby drain. 

Thanks 

Explorer

So it seems that ERG2 firmware did not solve the problem. So we are back to square one... I don't wanna grizzle, but in my opinion Samsung plays cat and mouse with us :/

Top Liked Authors