Support

Open search

Cell Standby/Android System/Google Play Services battery drain for Oreo on S7

Highlighted
Explorer

I've updated this morning to the new OTA update. It made the issue even worse with cell standby being 26%. Screenshot_20180726-193122_Settings.jpg

Navigator

@Xsever wrote:

I'm running a stock-based ROM from xda called DevBase 5.8 Oreo and i flashed on top of it the latest bootloader, modem, and kernel and my battery life is better than on Nougat. It's really sad if xda developers are doing a better job than Samsung.

I was playing a bit with my phone flashing all kind of stuff on my phone (Nougat, root, custom recovery, used Z3x software to read cert and failed in that). I wanted to examine is it really possible to convert my G935F into dual SIM (basically into G935FD) (IF SOMEONE KNOWS HOW TO OR HAVE SOME PROOVES IS IT POSSIBLE OR NOT, I will very appreciate your help!). I didn't succeed in that because of a lack of good instructions and poor support of that question on different forums. I'm not professional to solve some complicated problems which need "deep" knowledge about what exactly have to be done, so I left that open until I manage to find more information. So I gave up until I find solution or 100% info.

ATM I have Knox ticked because of these manipulations, but i don't care. My 2 years warranty ended approx 1 month ago So now I'm free to play around with device

After returning back to Oreo phone downloaded an FOTA update. I installed it because there is nothing that could get any worse than it is right know (battery life is still a big mess for me on Oreo). Later I examined the files in that latest ROM and found that it includes same old ERD6 modem (CP), also CSC didn't change from ERE8. Only AP was updated to ERG7. So my conclusions: that was just security patch only (G935FXXS2ERG7 -> "S" stands for security update), nothing else.

I already though that this was long waited fix of battery life when got prompt about update, but yes that was only empty wish.

I would appreciate if Samsung tells us honestly if they are really working on this issue?

Otherwise I personally starting really think to at least flash custom ROM or changing Samsung to something else.

@Xsever How close the custom ROM you are using is to stock one? Can I move to it without wiping data? Can you explain how to (probably flashing them with Odin or in TWRP?) and where you get latest BL, CP and kernel?

Thank you, community, not Samsung.. hope I will find info which proves converting G935F to dual SIM or the one which disproves it and enjoy good enough battery life on my old phone.

Navigator

@srg-b wrote:

I've updated this morning to the new OTA update. It made the issue even worse with cell standby being 26%. Screenshot_20180726-193122_Settings.jpg

Well you have to wait a few days until making any conclusions about battery life, but yes, I updated also this morning, was on WiFi almost all the time and have now these numbers:

~ 9h after 100% charge

~ 3h50m SOT (which drained 16% of battery)

~ Cell standby has also drained 16% being on WiFi most of time (~3h on 4G basically in pocket without using phone)

~30% left of juice in battery ATM

Explorer

@SmashMix G935FXXS2ERG7 -> "S" stands for security update
but yes you may be right i have compared the changelogs and on the one with S shows older number but on the UK it is new changelog which is with U

Navigator

@mite_jan

Well then they decided to skip NEE region in changing anything but security patch. Will see if they release other updates for NEE with fresh change lists :/

Apprentice

@Xsever wrote:

I'm running a stock-based ROM from xda called DevBase 5.8 Oreo and i flashed on top of it the latest bootloader, modem, and kernel and my battery life is better than on Nougat. It's really sad if xda developers are doing a better job than Samsung.

I don't believe that the author of DevBase 5.8 Oreo edited the Samsung code (and, therefore, he didn't fix the battery drain, or any other problem users have experienced with the stock ROM).  Rather, he de-constructed the ROM for the purpose of enabling others to "roll their own."  So, if you are experiencing success with this ROM, it is likely attributable to your configuration (choice of radio, choice of apps, including Samsung apps, configuration, etc.), and nothing else.   Your battery usage will also depend upon your network operator, as well as your usage habits, of course.

Explorer

I confirm, battery drain increased after the latest update. My next phone will be Xiaomi Mi 8, it's half as much as Samsung "premium" devices, has amoled screen and long-term support (miui). Bye, bye Samsung!

Explorer

Apparently, this bug or however you want to call it, is not Samsung code, it's something to do with Android itself. If that's the case xda solution could be legit.

Explorer

I don't understand one thing - someone wrote here that the bug was fixed in S8, so why it can't be solved in S7?

Apprentice

Well I guess you have to buy S8 then...

Top Liked Authors