Support

Open search

Cell Standby/Android System/Google Play Services battery drain for Oreo on S7

Observer

The oreo update on Verizon killed my battery life  

Explorer

Ok guys, this morning I managed to disable VoLTE (or 4G Call) not though my phone, but through my carrier's app. It was an option that was deactivable, just not under the phone's settings (with my firmware, no options to turn it on or off), so i think it was on all the time. I also disabled all facebook and Gear VR process.

My phone has been unplugged for 5 hours and I used it intensively for 50 minutes (meaning 50 minutes SOT and web browsing on 4G with a pretty bad reception : one bar only). I'm still at 75% battery, which seems quite good. At this rate I should reach 3H+ of SOT (against 1h30-2 at max before). It's not huge, but already feels like a big improvement.

I didn't touch Wifi calling, since my wifi has been disabled, I don't see how it should affect the battery on 4G, and my battery on Wifi seemed quite good. For those who can't disable it on their phones like me, you should try looking through your carriers settings, on their website or dedicated app, if you can deactivate 4G call / VoLTE.

I don't get it since it should have already been in use on Nougat, and it just wasn't draining this way, but anyway i'll keep you guys updated to see if it really is better or just a temporary feeling.

Highlighted
Explorer

@Sylva1n wrote:

Ok guys, this morning I managed to disable VoLTE (or 4G Call) not though my phone, but through my carrier's app. It was an option that was deactivable, just not under the phone's settings (with my firmware, no options to turn it on or off), so i think it was on all the time. I also disabled all facebook and Gear VR process.

Yes, it's worth to try to disable VoLTE since it's Enhanced 4G LTE services and often referring for battery drain. I don't have VoLTE in settings too. However IMS service and logger (IP Multimedia Subsystem) upon which VoLTE works can be disabled with root or without root (with Package Disabler Pro+ or adhell3 or SABS). Will try too tomorrow.

Navigator

@VSiam wrote:

Yes, it's worth to try to disable VoLTE since it's Enhanced 4G LTE services and often referring for battery drain. I don't have VoLTE in settings too. However IMS service and logger (IP Multimedia Subsystem) upon which VoLTE works can be disabled with root or without root (with Package Disabler Pro+ or adhell3 or SABS). Will try too tomorrow.

How brave you are to say those names (adhell and SABS) on a Samsung forum LOL. I think deactivating those services always helps, it can be done through ADB without root too, but in this case a firmware fix is still needed. Hope it works for you anyway

First Poster

Same problem with me after updating my S7 Edge (SM-G935FD) to Android Oreo 8.0.I try to force restart and clear system cache but both of them didn't work for me anyway.I hope this battery drain issue can be fix ASAP as it is very annoying that I have to charge my phone after just a couple hours of usage.

Explorer

Don't bother to do a factory reset, I already did and didn't changed anything, still the Cell Standby is eating up my battery. However what it seems to have a little impact in making the Cell Standby consume a little bit less is to disable the "Keep Mobile data turned on" option from the Developer menu, which is on by default.

Explorer

@Carolll, I've heard disabling through ADB is no more...

1. By a very strange coincidence Gear VR Service uses the same amount of battery, network traffic and even RAM as IMS Service - it's according to Settings/Apps readings.

2. If I disable IMS Service, after restart there are repeated messages "IMS Service was stopped". Seems it has some startup helper, which needs to be disabled too. Also unfortunately I don't have in options VoLTE nor any special app from my mobile operator.

Currently I disabled WITH UNNAMED APP :smileylol: Gear VR Service, com.sec.ims, IMS Logging & Settings (but not service). Will see...

Navigator

@VSiam wrote:

@Carolll, I've heard disabling through ADB is no more...

1. By a very strange coincidence Gear VR Service uses the same amount of battery, network traffic and even RAM as IMS Service - it's according to Settings/Apps readings.

2. If I disable IMS Service, after restart there are repeated messages "IMS Service was stopped". Seems it has some startup helper, which needs to be disabled too. Also unfortunately I don't have in options VoLTE nor any special app from my mobile operator.

Currently I disabled WITH UNNAMED APP :smileylol: Gear VR Service, com.sec.ims, IMS Logging & Settings (but not service). Will see...

I was left that ADB should work on any phone and that it does the same thing as YOUKNOWWHATapps (disables apps for the user), anyway once I tried to disable IMS services and I had the same "IMS service has stopped" like you, so since that I didn't touch any IMS related thing anymore. Disabling all the other stuff seems a good idea, but I don't know what's really eating battery, if those apps or the service itself. Anyway I always keep gearVR disabled so I can't tell.  Optimization seems to be an option to Samsung

Hope it works for you, I hope that this will all be fixed in the next firmware update..

Apprentice

The code *#0228# onky resets the battery so is of no use to this problem. 

My phone is only a few months old so its not a problen with battery. Its a problem with the Oreo ROM and which was not there with Nougat on the same phone.

Explorer

@VSiam wrote

Same **it. After restart phone lost just 2% overnight but then something happened and battery starts drained with 2+% in hour with screen off. Swithed back to 3G, kind of stone age but at least battery OK.

Still searching how to disable IMS completely.

Top Liked Authors