Support

Open search

Brand new Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus with severe battery drain

SOLVED
First Poster

I literally unboxed the phone last night and it had around 50% of battery out of the box. I installed two apps I often use related to my bank, and did a few option changes like volume. I also did some battery tweaks I used to have on my previous Samsung phone like disabling the AOD, turned down the brightness, disabled apps I don't use and put most of the other apps to sleep etc. When I got home from work after minimal use the battery had drained to 15%. So I gave it the first charge to 100% tonight. Literally ~30 minutes later it's down on 93% having it just sitting on my desk doing nothing. Did I overlook something? Should I give it a factory reset even though it's brand new? Not even my previous phone, which is the Samsung Galaxy S6 had this big of drain in such a short time. And no I don't have any unnecessary services running like bluetooth, positioning, wifi, etc. I read it could be something seriously wrong with the current update of Android? In that case it feels pretty discouraging using the phone until they can patch this baloney.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Voyager

Seen as though you have only just started to use the device, a few things are expected:

- When initial set up happens a lot of stuff is set up in the background

- Once you've got past the set up stage the phone usually has to update all the apps both in the google play store and the galaxy app store (do these both if you haven't already).

Both of the above steps use up considerable battery so it is no suprise that the battery dropped from 50 to 15.

As for the 7% loss in 30 mins. Does the phone have suffiecient signal? Poor signal can reduce battery life.

Try checking setting > device maintenance > battery to see what has been draining it.

You could try booting into safe mode to rule out a third party app. (press the hardware power button then press and hold the power off icon on screen).

Also keep in mind that by default, apps will only auto update when connected to wifi (as well as any system updates). Maybe they started to update during the 7% loss.

I personally would give the phone a few days and monitor if it gets any better.

A factory reset should not be needed within a day of opening the phone.

Hope you get it sorted.

4 REPLIES 4
Voyager

Seen as though you have only just started to use the device, a few things are expected:

- When initial set up happens a lot of stuff is set up in the background

- Once you've got past the set up stage the phone usually has to update all the apps both in the google play store and the galaxy app store (do these both if you haven't already).

Both of the above steps use up considerable battery so it is no suprise that the battery dropped from 50 to 15.

As for the 7% loss in 30 mins. Does the phone have suffiecient signal? Poor signal can reduce battery life.

Try checking setting > device maintenance > battery to see what has been draining it.

You could try booting into safe mode to rule out a third party app. (press the hardware power button then press and hold the power off icon on screen).

Also keep in mind that by default, apps will only auto update when connected to wifi (as well as any system updates). Maybe they started to update during the 7% loss.

I personally would give the phone a few days and monitor if it gets any better.

A factory reset should not be needed within a day of opening the phone.

Hope you get it sorted.

First Poster

I just want to quickly update this.

After setting up the phone it never prompted for an Android update. But just now out of the blue it asked me to update. After finishing the battery problem disappeared. Been able to use the phone now on the same charge for three days and only reached 59%. Can finally enjoy this pice of art. Thank you for the response!

ChrisM Moderator

That's great to hear @freddiebox! Thanks for the input @Ricky2.

First Poster
3 days on only 31% charge and used the phone. Im sooo jealous i get maybe 7 hours from full charge if lucky
Top Liked Authors