Support

Open search

App not installed - Solution needed!

First Poster

Hi everyone,

I work for a major bank in the UK and we have an internal application that we can download for colleagues to access our intranet through our mobile devices.

The application is not listed on Play Store and can only be downloaded through a website. I have done so and followed the instructions on the website to download and install it on my S8 but I have recevied the same message every time I have tried to install it - "App not installed. The package conflicts with an existing package by the same name.".

There is no such other app installed on my device, I have factory reset it! I have tried so many suggestions that I have found on the Internet an nothing works! Could you please explain to me how can we work around this problem and why is this happening in the first place?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Drago

8 REPLIES 8
Superuser I
Superuser I

Are you sideloading an apk?

If so is your unknown sources protection turned Off. 

I find it personally surprising that a Bank would actively promote an App not from the Play Store where they are vetted to instead download something from another source. 

My suggestion is to speak with your Banks IT Department about this. 

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 10+ 5G _256Gb > Model: SM-N976B._ Samsung One Ui / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch
Samsung Galaxy Tab A {2016}SM-T580

First Poster

I believe that I am sideloading it but not entirely sure what that means.

The "unknown sources" protection is turned off and I have tried installing it through so many means but with no luck so far.

I will contact them but really want to resolve this from my side, so that I save my hassle and their time as well... Any suggestions of working around the issue?

Superuser I
Superuser I

Downloading via a website / link away from the sanctity of the Play Store is sideloading and can present security/ stability issues. 

Current Phone ~

First Poster

I understand that but I don't believe that my employer would risk its employees security by asking them to install an official app that has already been probably installed by more than 50,000 employees.

If there is a way to bypass the current problem, please share it with me as I would like to resolve it from my side...

Superuser I
Superuser I

The option to sideload is provided by turning the trusted site option to Off which you have done. 

Current Phone ~

It seems that Play Protect can stop apps from being installed into the system. You can go to the Play Store -> Three Lines on the left to pull up options menu -> Play Protect. Turn the settings Off, Install the apps and turn Play Protect back on. Although it is not recommended, that seems to be the only way to do it.

I had a game installed - ANIMUS 2: HARBINGER

Successfully installed on the first time.

Played the game in succession for 2 times.

Tried opening it on the 3rd but the app icon was gone.

I went to to Play PROTECT and found that it has been removed.

So definitely PLAY PROTECT was the culprit.

Thank you, Sir, it solved my problem!

Top Liked Authors