Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 10 Q - Galaxy Note 8

(Topic created on: 30-05-2019 01:11 AM)
aminocel
Explorer
Options

Despite this subject is still in development. There are some websites listing the Samsung Phones that will be compatible with Android 10 Q, which will probably arrive at autumn 2019. The Galaxy Note 8, is still one powerfull phone, surely capable of running Android 10 without a problem, but it's still not yet on the lists. 

I would like to know if Samsung has plans to include the Note 8 to be able to run Android 10, and if not, what would be the reason to not include it.

Here is a list that you can find on some websites...

Galaxy Fold
Galaxy S10e/S10/S10+
Galaxy S9/S9+
Galaxy Note 9
Galaxy A9 (2018)
Galaxy A7 (2018)
Galaxy A6 (2018)/A6+ (2018)
Galaxy A80
Galaxy A70
Galaxy A50
Galaxy A40
Galaxy A30
Galaxy A20
Galaxy A20e
Galaxy A10
Galaxy J6/J6+
Galaxy J8/J8+
Galaxy M10
Galaxy M20
Galaxy M30
Galaxy Tab S4
Galaxy Tab S5e
Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (2019)
Galaxy Tab A 10.5 (2018)

Regards,

57 REPLIES 57
ChasS9
Journeyman
Options

Samsung tend to release two major Android OS upgrades to their devices. 

Let's look at the update history for previous Samsung flagships:

-Galaxy S (original) - Started off on Android 2.1 Eclair, received updates to Android 2.2 Froyo and Android 2.3 Gingerbread

-Galaxy S II/Note (original) - Started off on Android 2.3 Gingerbread, received updates to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and Android 4.1 Jelly Bean.

-Galaxy S III/Note II - Started off on Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and received updates to Android 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3, all Android Jelly Bean, although the 2GB RAM variant and the Neo got updated to Android 4.4 KitKat.

-Galaxy S4/Note III - Started off on Android 4.2 Jelly Bean and received updates to Android 4.4 KitKat and Android 5.0 Lollipop.

-Galaxy S5/Note 4 - Started off on Android 4.4 KitKat and received updates to Android 5.0 Lollipop and Android 6.0 Marshmallow, although the Neo got updated to Android 7.0 Nougat because it was technically eligible for the update (it started off on Android 5.0, not 4.4)

-Galaxy S6/S6 edge/S6 edge+/Note5 - Started off on Android 5.0 Lollipop and received updates to Android 6.0 Marshmallow and Android 7.0 Nougat.

-Galaxy S7/S7 edge - Started off on Android 6.0 Marshmallow and received updates to Android 7.0 Nougat and Android 8.0 Oreo.

The Galaxy S8, S8+, and Note8 all started off on Android 7.0 Nougat (7.1 in the case of the Note8) and got updated to Android 8.0 Oreo and Android 9.0 Pie. That's two major Android updates, which most older Samsung flagships also got. Unless Samsung decides to change its update policy, it is likely that the S8, S8+, and Note8 will not be updated to Android 10 Q. However, considering even the Galaxy J series are now getting two major Android OS upgrades (starting with the J7 2016 which started off on Android 6.0 Marshmallow and received updates to both Android 7.0 Nougat and Android 8.1 Oreo), Samsung should start to reevaluate its update policy and consider providing three major Android OS upgrades to its flagships. OnePlus and Google managed it, so why not Samsung?

aminocel
Explorer
Options

Yeah, that's actually my point. It's nonsense to get a phone like the note 8 and after two major upgrades, get in to the "obsolete club" having new Samsung phones of lower gama that are not as powerful as yours running the latest version of the OS. Then is monkey business, as then I could go for Google instead. Even Apple allows almost 4 major upgrades, and more. That gives you the confidence, you bought a solid device, not just something that would last for 2 or 3 years...

Lykia
MegaStar
Options
@ChasS9 it's right but Samsung showed that the S7 could run Android 9 as well.
The Galaxy Note Fe has the same Snapdragon 821 in it and got newly the Pie update so it shouldn't be a problem for the Note8 or S8 to run A.Q

ᐯIEᒪE GᖇÜßE, ᒪYKIᗩ
emivita
Voyager
Options

So, this is tbe reason why me (owner of S3,S6 and Note 😎 I'm looking to buy latest Google Poll pixel phones

Open source and Samsung update policy are incompatibility: they just look to profit

Sefin
Apprentice
Options

They are making a huge mistake with only ONE major update for S and Note lineup.

Why I say ONE? Well you buy a phone and a new major update is just around the corner... They could have realease it with it straight.

The bigger problem is that they essentially cut the price of these devices for aftermarket resale.

They should aim to make it easy for me to decide if I upgrade to a new model by keeping high value of the device so I sell my old one and get a new one...

It isn't easy to sell the device which is great, but excluded from future OS updates...

And I am sorry I really don't see a reason to upgrade each year as the progress between Note 8 and 9 was minimal...

I want longer SW support as I plan to get Note 10, but 8 will stay in the familly ...

I reallly hope they improve in this regard.

Sure there are other companies which offers long support, but Note line has no competition ... 

aminocel
Explorer
Options

It makes me think in switching to the A models from now on, nonse to get S or Note for only two major updates, A models cost half, that seems resonable for only two major updates. 

aminocel
Explorer
Options

Ridiculous so plus is nearly the same machine as Note 8 and also without the s-pen. What about A70?

FaranJackson1
First Poster
Options

This is insane. I have s8 plus and this phone is 100 percent capable for running android Q. Is there any chances for getting android 10? Is it possible to do something on this phone to get new update?

aminocel
Explorer
Options

Can someone, give a little bit more intel, on which manufacturer offers more major upgrades for it's phones?

Is there a list by manufacturer?

Regards,