Support

Open search

A5 2017 front camera

Apprentice

Hello, I own Galaxy A5 2017 for 6 months and I am extremely dissapointed with the front camera. Yeah it is true that specifications show that the front camera is 16 MP , but nowhere is written that the camera has fixed focus to the few cetimeters and it cannot be changed anywhere!!!!. So when i take pictures my face is clear but the background is totally blurred (it might be useful as a filter....SOMETIMES!!!!...otherwise it is really useless!!!!) . So even using the selfie stick is not possible becuase the whole picture will be blurred and out of focus. Due to this the pictures made with the front camera are completely useless and the camera is useless as well. When I want to make clear picture with friends or a selfie with something interesting in the background I have to use other phone (then what was the point of buying this one??????!!!! for 400 Euros?!?!?!?!!!) or there is another option, and that is to use the rear camera to take selfie photos like in 2005 with my old nokia phone. (maybe i make 1 good picture out of 100 attempts......like really...only possible solution for now.....the front camera is really useless).

So I want to ask, if there is some magical way to change the focusing of the front camera with any update or at least if it can be solved in service centre after changing the whole lense (or something). Please it would be really helpfull. Thank you very much!

16 REPLIES 16
Navigator
Unfortunately not, no. Very few phones come with an autofocus front facing camera. The S8s do, but the As are not. they also lack Gyro sensors for 360 panoramas and other apps. Its just some of the compromises made for the relatively low cost of the phone. autofocus, requires a certain hardware and so cannot be "repaired" or changed in stores. you should try having a timer set; it should help with getting clearer shots.
Apprentice

I do not have a problem with lack of autofocus, but with the stable focus which works only with objects placed just a  few centimeters in front of the camera. It is totally like macro effect all the time. My face is clear but everything else is just blurry and this type of photos are 99% useless (as i said during group selfies or with something interesting in the background...selfie stick is not possible to use, too). I had many phones but this is the first one where i saw this type of focusing as is totally the worst I have ever tried. Other phones for lower prices....like 250 Euros...for example every huawei, every other samsung..every sony phone.... etc... take perfectly fine photos. And I consider more than 400 Euros quite a lot for a smartphone with "just one camera". And i tried everything...it seems like they decided that it will focus to 10 centimeters (I still don't get it whose idea it was....) and customers which want to have a good selfie photos have no other choice than to use other device. (I use it for the 6 months and i didn't find other solution)......Interesting thing is that SG A3 2017 doesn't have this type of focusing...even in the SAMSUNG store were confused and advised me to use service.  I am really confused what engineers wanted to achieve with this idea...but it seems like they didn't really care of this phone and they just made it without thinking.....

Navigator
Then there is something wrong with your device, I would then recommend sending it to a Samsung repair centre and tell them at least 3 times that the front facing camera is faulty, because there shouldn't be a problem as you described. in fact, I have the very same issue with the REAR camera on my S8+. it used to be stuck in a macro focal length, and I would have to constantly switch cameras or close the camera for ages before it would fix itself. over time and software updates this problem has occurred less and less. so if other A5 users have had this problem I suggest you contact Samsung about a software update. and continue telling them otherwise they wont listen.
Apprentice

Yeah they told me the same at the SAMSUNG store that it shouldn't be like this ( i thiught it myself becasue it is really nonsense and i've never met with something like this....) At least it should focus to infinity like the other non-autofocus smartphones. You can also look up other posts about the exact same problem(=focus). I can give it to the service centre but i am not sure if it will help... you know...they change lense for the othe one with the same problem and it will solve nothing...and i don't know how to contact anyone from the SAMSUNG...i thought this is the only way...and i really doubt that they would do anything with this problem within a few months....so i really think about buying the new phone now...

Apprentice
It seems like the whole A5 (and even A7) series has the same problem and the camera is badly constructed....it is really shame...it would be really great phone if i could use the front camera...
Highlighted
Navigator
If it is a consistent problem with the A5 2017 and Samsung Centres haven't been able to fix it, I suggest you do replace your phone with a different model or manufacturer altogether. I find it strange that this is the cast though, I got an A3 for my mother and the camera works really well on it. wouldn't have thought the A5 and A7 would have issues
Apprentice
It is really strange I know...well thank for your time i think I will find option in other brand
Explorer

Confirmed the problem. A5 2017 camera does not work at all. The problem is not autofocus yes\not, but the fact that the focus is fixed and set to objects close than 30cm... which means all selfie are blurry and out of focus.

It comes really bad photos and they are advertising like WOW 16 MEGAPIXELS!!!

Incredible, I am searching everywhere and find hundres people complaining for this problem, but no solution yet

Apprentice
Yeah..they put 16 mexapixels and then...add fixed focus....I really want to know if engineers were high or what....or who thought it would be a good idea...i'll just keep it for a while and then will try other brand...
Top Liked Authors