Support

Open search

A5 2017 WiFi hanging

Highlighted
Apprentice

I have this issue! Got my phone as an upgrade with EE in Sept '17. The problem was there from day 1.

I had a new router, broadband checks and a new phone line installed but didn't solve the issue.

My phone went off to EE for repairs 3 weeks ago and for 2 days the phone seemed fixed but went straight back to not working. I get the ! next to the wifi symbol and "internet may not be available".

I have done 4 factory resets and still nothing. I contacted Samsung on Friday and it's being collected today for repair again... I will keep complaining until it' fixed or replaced with a different handset. I'm 4 months into a 24 month contract with a phone that is not fit for purpose. I have 11GB of data and it is all gone within 2 weeks and the rest of the month my phone is as good as useless. Not happy!

Will keep you updated. 

Highlighted
Apprentice

@C-d91 wrote:

I have this issue! Got my phone as an upgrade with EE in Sept '17. The problem was there from day 1.

I had a new router, broadband checks and a new phone line installed but didn't solve the issue.

My phone went off to EE for repairs 3 weeks ago and for 2 days the phone seemed fixed but went straight back to not working. I get the ! next to the wifi symbol and "internet may not be available".

I have done 4 factory resets and still nothing. I contacted Samsung on Friday and it's being collected today for repair again... I will keep complaining until it' fixed or replaced with a different handset. I'm 4 months into a 24 month contract with a phone that is not fit for purpose. I have 11GB of data and it is all gone within 2 weeks and the rest of the month my phone is as good as useless. Not happy!

Will keep you updated. 

I've been having the same problem. Received the phone just before Christmas. I have tried changing bands on the router, tried forgetting network on phone then reconnecting, tried all the various steps mentioned in other people's posts and Virgin (my network provider) have had it in for repair as have Samsung, and the problem is still there. I have been on to Samsung again this evening and they've told me to take it to a Support Centre. I want to try the phone out on someone else's WiFi network as the only other one I've tried is my workplace which is never that reliable. If the problem still occurs on someone else's wifi then it must be the device. This evening I have also tried changing the channel on the router, which I don't think has had much effect however there are more channels to try. I'd appreciate any other advice if anybody has hit on something. It is extremely frustrating paying a lot of money for a device that isn't working properly! I should have been offered a replacement!! 

Highlighted
Apprentice

So i got my phone back from Samsung who said the fault could not be replicated. Within a day it was not working AGAIN. This is the 2nd "repair" I've had done, 1st by EE and now by Samsung. There is obviously a major fault with the A5 model. I've emailed today to notify them the phone is still broken and I would like a replacement in another model...

Just complain complain complain! It's all we can do until they come up with a proper solution.

Highlighted
Apprentice

Hi. It is so frustrating!! Your situation sounds so similar. Virgin took mine away and Samsung and said it was fine and didn't have a problem! As for me it seems and intermittint problem they obviously have happened to be checking it when it is operational!! Sods Law!! I've now checked it on another person's reliable wifi, and it still happened. It was slightly better, but did still dip in and out! I've been trying to change the channel on the WiFi, downloaded a WiFi checker to see which channel was working better here, but there has been no difference. Samsung, when I call tell me to take it to one of their support shops, but have visions of it working fine while I'm there!! Can I ask how you have complained? I would like to make an official complaint as I'm disgusted that Samsung haven't offered a replacement, you're paying a a lot of money for a product that is not working properly! Not sure if I mentioned in my earlier post, but my old Samsung A3 and my husband still has an A3, and they both work perfectly, so it's not as if we're exoecting too much from the device. 

Highlighted
First Poster

A software update has been rolled out to my A5 (2017) today, and one of the notes was something like "improved stability of network connections".

I'm hoping this will solve the issue, I will wait and see when I get back home and onto my wifi (I am using mobile data while at work). Fingers crossed!

Highlighted
Apprentice

@Mike0689wrote:

A software update has been rolled out to my A5 (2017) today, and one of the notes was something like "improved stability of network connections".

I'm hoping this will solve the issue, I will wait and see when I get back home and onto my wifi (I am using mobile data while at work). Fingers crossed!

Hi Mike 0689

Thanks for letting me know about that, I will definitely update ASAP and like you said fingers crossed it will make a difference. We live in hope. 

Highlighted
First Poster

Plz help Have A5 2017 and have problem with wifi signal. Maybe know why. If i lput my second hand on top of phone (viewing internet, watching youtube, playing games etc.) and hold phone with both my hands, the signal is almost imidiately much more worst, sometimes lost. Whe i get hand out, its return to strong signal of wifi. Its really bad and problém with construction. Maybe its only my phone, dont try another one.

Highlighted
Apprentice

Hi zaainaslam

This could well be a design flaw with this particular model!! I haven't had any success with anything I've tried so far I'm afraid. Another member did say that they'd had notification of a software update, however, when I checked, my phone was up to date. I'm hoping that Samsung will have an update for me to install soon, maybe solving this issue. If i do have any success with any methods I try, I will certainly post on here to let others know. 

Highlighted
Apprentice

Hi All.

So FINALLY I am getting a replacement handset sent to me tomorrow.

My phone went off for the 3rd "repair" 2 weeks ago, I had a call saying the problem could not be replicated and all they actually did was update the software on the phone... gee thanks!!

Spent the weekend setting my phone up again after the latest factory reset. I noticed this time however that the WiFi worked absolutely fine for about 2 days until I put my SIM card in it. Then the issue started again and has been the same for 2 days.

I phoned EE, started all over again with my complaint/technical support only to be told that I had to take it for another repair. 

I point blank refused and said I was assured the 3rd time would be the last time. The customer service guy wasn't allowed to put me through to the tier 2 team, even though they were dealing with case for me.

After going back and forth for 30 minutes I was still refusing to take it back to store. I asked to be put through to the complaints department and oh! Low and behold they've decided they can do an exchange for another handset.

It's coming tomorrow so we shall see!!

Anyone else had any luck?? 

Highlighted
Apprentice

Hi C-d91

Fingers crossed then for you with your new handset. Have to say I've not followed anything up and am just putting up with the signal failing then switching on Aeroplane mode and off again to quickly link up again. Not ideal!! I found it interesting what you said about the phone working for a couple of days until you put in the SIM card. My phone keeps flashing up a message saying refreshing SIM  data!! So I wonder if the SIM card is the issue behind it?? This is my 2nd SIM now from Virgin Media, but this message still pops up. I may try removing the SIM and monitor Internet access without it in for an  evening. Trial and error! 

Top Liked Authors