Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Linux on Dex Galaxy Tab S6 availability

(Topic created on: 08-12-2019 04:16 AM)
DaedalusEH
Explorer
Options

Does anyone know as to when the 'Linux on Dex' will be available on Galaxy Tab S6? I looked at the Galaxy store and the Play Store but I did not find anything. Also I downloaded the 1.0.51 beta version from APKMirror but when I started it told me that the device was not compatible and shut down. 

80 REPLIES 80
Phoenixbyrd
Journeyman
Options

You had the golden opportunity to make the mobile phone the one and only device anyone would need and then threw it away. Why? Because you're afraid it might hurt your laptop sales, because of your stupid partnership with Microsoft and using a desktop through an app on a desktop? The hell! So what if it hurts your laptop sales! Your creating an entirely new niche and market here where the phone is ALL YOU NEED! I've been using my note 9 for nearly a year now as my main PC and mobile device thanks to Linux on Dex and now by taking away that feature you lost a future customer.  I can't support the direction you've decided to take with your lack of vision and your awesome redundant use of a desktop on a desktop through an app to use other apps. Screw you guys. Future updates are getting turned off in hopes I can get the most life out of by far the best feature you've ever added to the Galaxy line. Great job losing customers. 

Phoenixbyrd
Journeyman
Options

At least give us users something to hope for and release the source code for other developers to improve on something you apparently think isn't worth it anyways. You can continue caring more about your precious laptops and desktops within desktops while someone else continues the work we actually want to see and hopefully they can port it to other phones so we can ditch Samsung altogether.

khentiamentiu
Student
Options

My Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 was purchased because of Linux on Dex. I like the whole tablet, and I use Dex, and Android, and, of course, Ubuntu. I was going to buy a Samsung Tab S6 but now, I won't, until I find a way to install a Linux as good and compatible as Linux on Dex on it. So far, the Linux alternatives are limited and prone to disturbing and/or laughable configuration issues. Samsung, you had a good beta product. And yes, I have turned off updates on my S4.

xtuandungx
First Poster
Options

The end of linux !!
I don't believe when hear that.
I just spent my money and choose tab s6 and wait for update support linux on dex on tab s6.
But now it's not happen :smiling-face: 
With the same money, i can choose  many option from ipad or older version galaxy tab support linux on dex. But with strong "chip", more RAM and the same synchronized with my s10+ device, i have choose tab s6.  
Maybe, i 'm not so stupid when choose this option :_) . I'll sell this tab s6 for change laptop or other device :smiling-face:
Good bye SamsungDex :smiling-face:

0 Likes
harrykl
Student
Options

There is a possability to use a Raspberry Pi 4 via USB-C with VNC and ssh. Even a Latte Panda Delta or Alpha as linux server for a Code-Server is possible.

0 Likes
Phoenixbyrd
Journeyman
Options

I found an app called Andronix about four days ago. Excellent replacement to Linux on DeX!! I've been running Debian 10 on my Note 9! Runs great! This will work on ALL android devices, not just Samsungs. Although I think I might stick with samsung now because I still like DeX. As long as I can run linux and my desktop apps I'm happy to stick around! 

Screenshot_2019-11-30_21-35-30.png

0 Likes
khentiamentiu
Student
Options

I've also found Debian to be the best choice, but I'm using UserLAnd. There are still problems, however. I routinely use Firefox and Thunderbird together in Linux on Dex, but can't do it with the VNC interface to Debian. I'm running on the Tab S4. Are you able to run Firefox or IceWeasel on Debian with Andronix?

0 Likes
Phoenixbyrd
Journeyman
Options
Yes im able to run Firefox but find chromium has better performance.
0 Likes
_dmfd060606
Apprentice
Options

How do you download Andronix? And what is Debian? Do you have to root the device? Sorry, I just got a Tab s6 back in October to use LOD, but since they're not supporting anymore, I would like to use an alternative. 

0 Likes
Phoenixbyrd
Journeyman
Options
Download Andronix AND Termux from google play store. Debian is a linux distro. You don't have to root your device. I highly recommend joining the discord channel and talking with the devs of you have any issues getting things running. They do have videos on youtube on how to use.
0 Likes