Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Tab S4 Samsung Cloud Settings Backup not working when connected with Ethernet.

(Topic created on: 29-01-2019 10:26 PM)
Rich05UK
Explorer
Options

Hi,

Before purchasing my Samsung GalaxyG Tab S4 I asked Samsung if it supports Ethernet connectivity as I work in a secure office which does not permit WiFi.  I was told if I purchased a third party Ethernet to USB-C adaptor that yes, it would work.

I can confirm it works perfectly, all the apps work, Google play auto updates all my apps, Google auto backup of my photos and videos etc also works perfectly.  However, the Samsung Cloud Settings Backup fails to work, I get an error popup on my screen every so often stating that backup is unable to connect over WiFi, well there isn't any WiFi as I'm connected with Ethernet?

I've checked the settings in the app but it only gives 2 options, backup over mobile data and WiFi OR backup over WiFi only.  I'd have thought ethernet should be detected and automatically used as an alternative to WiFi but it doesn't, an error that Samsung has put into this app.  As I stated above, all the other apps work fine and seamlessly work over ethernet instead of Wi-Fi.  

Samsung, can you fix this bug so that Samsung Cloud settings backup works over ethernet in the same way as it would over WiFi.  I'm getting really annoyed with this error that keeps appearing on my screen and that my settings are not getting backed up.

Thanks,

RichardScreenshot_20190102-202912_Samsung DeX home.jpg

19 REPLIES 19
AntS
Options

Hi @Rich05UK.

Our developers have got back to us on this one, and have advised us that they won't be implementing this function due to the security aspect of Cloud data and the risk of data charges when connecting to an unconfirmed network.

Rich05UK
Explorer
Options

@AntS wrote:

Hi @Rich05UK.

Our developers have got back to us on this one, and have advised us that they won't be implementing this function due to the security aspect of Cloud data and the risk of data charges when connecting to an unconfirmed network.

I don’t understand, what security aspect of cloud data?  Connecting by Ethernet is significantly more secure than connecting by Wi-Fi, this is why we are not allowed Wi-Fi where I work, it is banned due to its poor level of security.  Many organisations across the globe especially the armed forces and government agencies do NOT approve Wi-Fi for their IT systems in favour of only using ethernet!!!

I also don’t understand what they mean by the risk of data charges when connecting to an unconfirmed network? You could just a likely connect to an open unconfirmed Wi-Fi network, arguably even easier than you could connect to an Ethernet network and have the same risk of charges. At least with Ethernet, you have to physically plug-in a network cable and this is something which isn’t don’t ‘accidently’ it is done purposefully with intent to connect to that network, so it is unlikely you would ever connect to an ethernet network without knowing what your connecting to and any possible data charges. Despite which, you could easily implement an option to ‘NOT SYNC DATA OVER ETHERNET’ for those which don’t what to accept the potential ‘risk’ that you refer to.

Also, the developer’s argument is flawed because all the Microsoft apps and Google apps including their respective cloud services all sync over ethernet perfectly and so data charges would apply anyway for these services, which thankfully work because Samsung’s do not.

How do I get rid of the biscuit message which keeps coming up across my screen whilst I’m trying to use the tablet saying that it is unable to Sync Data? It’s impossible to use my Galaxy Tab S4 with this message which keeps popping up every few minutes. I also constantly have a notification on my lock screen saying the same thing?

This seems like an excuse to me because the developers can’t be bothered to fix the error with their Samsung software.

I’d also like to know how I can overcome the issue of updating my Tablet? Again, I have a similar connectivity error when connected by Ethernet meaning it won’t work. How do I update it when all I have is an Ethernet connection and no other computer to use so I can’t even update it using a USB cable?

Please remember, I checked with Samsung before I purchased this Galaxy Tab S4, asking if it worked completely and 100% with Ethernet Only and in the same way as if it were connected using Wi-Fi, this was made clear to Samsung before I decided to buy the Tab S4 as I do not have access to a WiFi network. This is a complete failure by Samsung and I have been lied to about its inadequate functionality over Ethernet. I have spent over £800 for this tablet and the Ethernet adaptor for sole use with this tablet, all of it was a waste of money because it doesn’t work despite Samsung saying that it would. I want to know what Samsung are going to do to fix this, I am extremely angry that Samsung have tricked me out of over £800 and wonder how this would be dealt with in a court of law?

mitopa
Pathfinder
Options

I agree with OP here. The onus is on the user.

With that said, l suggest the OP to collect logs of the failed o
operation. With ADB access, logcat. Alternatively, the app MatLog is probably a better option.

Typically logs will show the root cause of a problem or shed valuable clues.

@Rich05UK wrote:

@AntS wrote:

Hi @Rich05UK.

Despite which, you could easily implement an option to ‘NOT SYNC DATA OVER ETHERNET’ for those which don’t what to accept the potential ‘risk’ that you refer to.

AntS
Options

@Rich05UK : I'll see if I can get more of an explanation from the developers for you - plus, I've asked them about the 'Not sync data over Ethernet' option.

For that repeated 'Unable to Sync Data' error message, any troubleshooting you've already tried? E.g. clearing the cache & data from the Samsung Cloud app (Settings Apps > 3 dots > Show system apps > Samsung Cloud > Storage > Clear data, and Clear cache)?

Rich05UK
Explorer
Options

@AntS wrote:

@Rich05UK : I'll see if I can get more of an explanation from the developers for you - plus, I've asked them about the 'Not sync data over Ethernet' option.

For that repeated 'Unable to Sync Data' error message, any troubleshooting you've already tried? E.g. clearing the cache & data from the Samsung Cloud app (Settings Apps > 3 dots > Show system apps > Samsung Cloud > Storage > Clear data, and Clear cache)?

Thank you.

With regards to troubleshooting, I've not done much as I have only ever used the Ethernet cable from taking the brand-new Tab S4 out of the box and the message appeared from the first minute I logged into my Samsung account. I have however just tried clearing the data and cache but it hasn’t made any difference. Today, I have taken the tablet to a location where I have access to Wi-Fi, I’ve turned flight mode off and connected to the Wi-Fi network and the message goes away and I can confirm that a fully data sync has completed. Later when connected to ethernet, the 'Unable to sync data' message has returned again. 😞

0 Likes
mitopa
Pathfinder
Options

@Rich05UK wrote:

@AntS wrote:

Thank you.

With regards to troubleshooting, I've not done much as I have only ever used the Ethernet cable from taking the brand-new Tab S4 out of the box and the message appeared from the first minute I logged into my Samsung account. I have however just tried clearing the data and cache but it hasn’t made any difference. Today, I have taken the tablet to a location where I have access to Wi-Fi, I’ve turned flight mode off and connected to the Wi-Fi network and the message goes away and I can confirm that a fully data sync has completed. Later when connected to ethernet, the 'Unable to sync data' message has returned again. 😞

@Rich05UK wrote:

@AntS wrote:

@Rich05UK : I

Thank 

@Rich05UK,

With the USB-to-rj45 adapter enabled and wifi disabled, can you access this link?

https://support.samsungcloud.com/#/login

mitopa
Pathfinder
Options

@AntS wrote:

If the developers or QA happen to have a USB-to-ethernet adapter, then they should experience the same, thus catching the bug with its pants down.

0 Likes
nickthaskater
First Poster
Options

Experiencing this same issue with my S10 Plus (Snapdragon - Canadian variant).

Connected to Ethernet, I get the can't sync error for Samsung Cloud.

I can access and sign in to the URL for Samsung Cloud while connected to Ethernet and with Wi-Fi disabled. 

Rich05UK
Explorer
Options

@mitopa wrote: 

@Rich05UK,

With the USB-to-rj45 adapter enabled and wifi disabled, can you access this link?

https://support.samsungcloud.com/#/login

@mitopa 

Yes I can, the link works fine with the rj45 ethernet adaptor enabled and the wifi disabled.

Please can somone fix this issue as its been ongoing for over a year now and clearly its impacting other people too.

Number-One-1
Explorer
Options
Hi yes, 5 stars service - samsung cloud storage...