Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expand Cloud storage

(Topic created on: 10-08-2018 10:09 AM)
Toppere43
First Poster
Options

Hi all, I have an S8 and my 15gb free storage is full.  In the settings I'm not given the option to purchase more space. I'm with O2. My wife's S8, also with O2,  was given the option to expand to 50gb, which I purchased. All I'm told is to delete files. 

Does anybody have any suggestions. I've spoke to Samsung support and tried to send them a log file but my email won't send it. I'm working on that. But the lack of option is puzzling. 

0 Likes

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Chewbacca
Navigator
Options
So I've just had another look into this, and it turns out that the O2 embedded software is whats stopping you from buying additional storage. So if you've got a device which was purchased from O2 with their O2 Network overlay on the OS then it wont let you, However if you have a device which doesn't have the O2 software on it you'll be able to purchase more space even if you're using a O2 sim card.

View solution in context

0 Likes
Solution
Chewbacca
Navigator
Options

I forgot to mention, What you can do is ring up Samsung and give them the serial number and IMEI number of your devices and they will be able to give you the full model number of the devices, if they end in O2U this means that the device is locked to O2 and has the O2 software on it, which is whats stopping you from buying additional storage.

What you can do to clear up some space is use google photos to back up the media files. and remove them from the Samsung cloud, this should clear us some space.

Let us know how this goes for you. 

View solution in context

13 REPLIES 13
Chewbacca
Navigator
Options
speak to O2, see if they have any kind of ristrictions on your contract. I belive that when you pruchase extra storage space it falls under network chargers. As the cost gets added on to the phone bill. btw when buy addidtional storga space on samsung cloud it is a monthly subscription.
0 Likes
Toppere43
First Poster
Options
Thanks for the reply. Ive spoken to O2 and theres no restictions in place. Last night I reset to factory settings and restored my phone. Still no option to to purchase more storage. Im at at a loss what to do next. At the moment ive got to keep deleting stuff to make room for the back up.
0 Likes
Solution
Chewbacca
Navigator
Options
So I've just had another look into this, and it turns out that the O2 embedded software is whats stopping you from buying additional storage. So if you've got a device which was purchased from O2 with their O2 Network overlay on the OS then it wont let you, However if you have a device which doesn't have the O2 software on it you'll be able to purchase more space even if you're using a O2 sim card.
0 Likes
Solution
Chewbacca
Navigator
Options

I forgot to mention, What you can do is ring up Samsung and give them the serial number and IMEI number of your devices and they will be able to give you the full model number of the devices, if they end in O2U this means that the device is locked to O2 and has the O2 software on it, which is whats stopping you from buying additional storage.

What you can do to clear up some space is use google photos to back up the media files. and remove them from the Samsung cloud, this should clear us some space.

Let us know how this goes for you. 

Toppere43
First Poster
Options
Thats sounds like my problem. It does have 02 software embedded in it. well done my friend im very grateful for your help. How do you think i can get round this. I can get it released from o2 but would that do the trick or would i need to change the software?
0 Likes
Chewbacca
Navigator
Options
I dont think getting it unlocked would do the job, its the embedded software thats the problem. best bet would be to use another cloud storage, for example google photos or one drive.

Glad to help.
0 Likes
Toppere43
First Poster
Options
Thanks for that. There must be a way round this so ill have to give it some thought. Think ill ring O2 again and pass this information on. See what they say. Thanks again and if any other thoughts come to mind please let me know.
0 Likes
NewmanNiall
First Poster
Options

Hi sorry I know I'm late to the thread but I had this same issue on my S9+ with o2, and what I did is logged onto a different Samsung (I work in a phone shop so we have a few demos laying around which I used) and was able to upgrade the storage through the other handset, you just need to log in to your Samsung account, upgrade your plan, then log off again. I know not everyone is in my position and not everyone has this option but if you can maybe go into your local phone shop and either ask if you can do it or just pretend your checkinf out one of the handsets 😛

MikeCapri
First Poster
Options

Oh and if you're Australia you don't get sh!t.  All you can get is 15GB and there are no upgrades/plans available.  This is why we are forced to find illegal methods down here because we don't get sh!t yet we pay more than other countries.  This bullsh!t.