Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Fridge filter recycling

(Topic created on: 19-03-2018 12:23 PM)
geedy85
First Poster
Options

Does anyone know where or how to recycle the water filter cartridges from the American style fridge freezers in the UK? I cant find anywhere and have about four cartridges now. Its so environmentally unfriendly to just put them into landfill. 

0 Likes
Go to solution
39 REPLIES 39
TH46
Apprentice
Options

This is disgraceful this heavy 99% Plastic Item cannot be recycled because it is a sealed unit with a piece of fibre in it. it Costs around €50 twice per annum it should not be beyond the wit of Samsung to make it so the filter can be removed and the outer casing recycled or for them to subsidise a charity to break them up.

0 Likes
THanley
First Poster
Options

It is so disappointing that a progressive company like Samsung is opting to be so environmentally unaware for what can only be short-term and short-sighted financial reasons.

I also have several Samsung Aqua Pure Plus replacement refills that require recycling.

Samsung should realise that it is inevitable public opinion and statutory obligation will soon require them to introduce a solution to this issue, so the sooner they resolve it themselves, the less goodwill and consumer respect they will have lost.

A leader in appliance technology but are Samsung settling for being at the bottom of the environmentally aware table???

AndyOdd55
First Poster
Options

Ended up on here when I was looking for a way to recycle my fridge cartridge and hey presto I'm not the only one who thinks Samsung should be a bit more responsible!

Come on Samsung, pull your finger out and get recycling!

Pengwyn1
First Poster
Options

Why not start sending the old filters back to Samsung HQ much like the crisp packet initiative from last year.  Walkers soon got their act together on recycling the packets once they were inundated with customers sending them back, perhaps Samsung might react similarly.

Poptech
First Poster
Options

We have been pleased with our new Samsung fridge, but I was terribly disappointed when the time came to replace our filter to find that there is no recycling program.  This is shocking in this day and age, when EVERYONE acknowledges that one of the greatest threats we face is global warming.   

Which company in this day and age can afford to be so short-sighted... So focused on profit alone??!!

I can tell you that as a good consumer Samsung won't get any more of my money until they take the environment into account.  I can also say that I will spread the word.

Get your act together Samsung!!

0 Likes
jh27
Student
Options

Britta is a major manufacturer of water filters (in the UK at least). They have collection bins in some stores, where you can return their brand of filters and they will recycle/remanufacture them. I don't think they would do anything with a Samsung filter though. 

0 Likes
gmkieran
Apprentice
Options

Disregard the information below - Whirlpool has canceled their program and I have been unable to find any other resource for recycling these items unless the manufacturer offers a program, as listed here - http://www.filtersfast.com/blog/index.php/2019/05/where-to-recycle-filters-2019/

Whirlpool has created a recycling program that accepts water filters from any manufacturer, starting in 2014 as described here - https://lakeappliancerepair.com/blog/how-to-recycle-a-refrigerator-water-filter/

There's a small cost associated for postage, but it's worth it to keep the garbage out of the landfills.

0 Likes
Lewiskingy
Student
Options
Agree with all this.

Point to note, you could avoid using filters of in a soft water area. I don't bother with them in mine.
0 Likes
jh27
Student
Options

That is a very good point.  Not just in soft water areas... there's nothing in the literature to suggest that these filters remove limescale - only chlorine and odours.

Similarly, there is no reason not to source an alternative filter that does offer recycling.  Maybe I'll do without, next time it comes to replacing the filter (just need to find something to couple it with) - or maybe I'll see if I can find a suitable inline filter from (say) Brita, that can be recycled (and will probably remove limescale, to boot). 

0 Likes
gmkieran
Apprentice
Options
Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be an option. Without the filter installed and in good working condition, the ice maker doesn't work. It simply throws an error message continuously.
0 Likes