Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Fridge filter recycling

(Topic created on: 20-02-2020 03:26 AM)
geedy85
First Poster
Options

Does anyone know where or how to recycle the water filter cartridges from the American style fridge freezers in the UK? I cant find anywhere and have about four cartridges now. Its so environmentally unfriendly to just put them into landfill. 

0 Likes
39 REPLIES 39
gmkieran
Apprentice
Options

As mentioned above, operating without the filter doesn't seem to be an option on my model. Nor have I been able to find an alternative that is any more recyclable than Samsung's offering. If you find one, I'd love to have that information, but all the replacements I found were only accepted for recylcing if was willing to break them down, myself, into components and only submit the recyclable components for processing and throw the rest in the landfill.

Lewiskingy
Student
Options

That's a shame.

On my model, sheet I removed the old filter, I just reset the filter warning light and carried on. No bypass needed. Ice maker just carries on working. Every 6 months I have the filter warning light and just reset it again. Model is RSG5UCRS.

ApusApus
First Poster
Options
I have just acquired a Samsung american style via my insurance company. Had I realised that Samsung are not participating in a recycling programme I would not have agreed to have a Samsung. Shame on SAMSUNG and all other manufacturers that are not dealing with this issue.
Sam777
Student
Options

Name and shame via social media. Twitter is usually effective. 

Recycleidiots
First Poster
Options

It's February of 2020 and you say that this problem is solved but offered no solution. Has Samsung not figured out a way for us to send these back and you guys reuse them? Maybe we should be posting this on Twitter and telling the whole world how Samsung won't use their own profits to figure out how to recycle? So lazy and greedy. Thanks for nothing Samsung keep destroying our oceans why don't you

TH46
Apprentice
Options

I simply fail to understand how SOLVED can be placed against this problem. A problem is not solved if the answer is "we have no solution to this problem after  3 years of complaints" to call this a solution is an abuse of language. The reality is that Samsung provide a highly expensive filter that is probably unnecessary  that requires replacing every 6 months but does not provide a means of recycling the unit. This is disgraceful in 2020

TH46
Apprentice
Options
I agree totally it is a disgrace .How do you like a post? I cant see how to do it.
EddieM
Apprentice
Options

As this site is owned controlled by Samsung- it only the people who access this site that see this issue.- so its only us that see these posts... the other millons of people want to join in too- and highlight the problem. I dont have a twitter account-yet. but could I ask someone to put this problem out on Twitter and other global social media platforms...as Samsung just dont care!!!...These filters are likely to get into our oceans and kill marine life -THEIR IS NO EASY WAY TO RECYCLE THEM- AS SAMSUNG HAVE NO RECYCLING STRATEGY FOR THESE FILTERS - Samsung are also making millions of $$ selling these very expensive filters...

thanks team.

Edward Murphy

angionline
First Poster
Options

Checked the link which just tells us to put it in the general waste this isn't recycling. Samsung have had enough time to resulve this issue. Other water filter companies are not responsible for dealing with Samsung's filters their making a profit from the sale of these, they should invest part of their profits in saving our planet, it's their corporate responsibility to be environmentally responsible.

XZZ
First Poster
Options

Yes, many supermarkets do have water filter cartridge recycling, but it is for BRITTA water filters. Shame on you Samsung for trying to pass the buck.