Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freezing issue with RF56J9040SR fridge freezer

(Topic created on: 01-02-2019 07:33 PM)
Paulalfc78
First Poster
Options

I have the above American fridge freezer. I am having great difficulty in getting the bottom right hand side to freeze at the same temperature as the opposite side. This is set as the freeze option using the cool select zone option. There is a soft freeze option which freezes to -5 but then the freeze option is supposed to freeze to -19 same as the other side of the freezer. This is the 2nd replacement I’ve had within 4 weeks as the 1st one also had this problem. I have double checked the option is correct but just cannot get it to freeze the same as the other side. Any frozen food you put in that side just defrosts. Can anyone help?

0 Likes
25 REPLIES 25
MasukaH
Voyager
Options

Sad to hear of your experience so far, @Paulalfc78  it's not what we like to hear. If you would like me to look into this for you, I'd be very happy to. If you could send me a private message we can exchange some details there and I'll see what's going on. :thumbs-up-sign-emoji-modifier-fitzpatrick-type:

0 Likes
Billymaze
Student
Options

Hi, I have the exact same problem on a RF56J9040SR that I got only 8 weeks ago. The right hand side of the freezer stopped freezing and now the left hand side has stopped also. I had it set at -19 which is recommended but when the problem happened first I set it to -21 but now its completely given up. My "Freezer iCON is definitely set correctly. Very dissapointing. I'm going to call the supplier tomorrow and will advise but no doubt there will bhe very little help as it's an online supplier.

0 Likes
Paulalfc78
First Poster
Options

Hi, I’m glad it’s not just me then who has had this problem. The repair company that Samsung use even admitted that they have one of these fridge freezers in their office which doesn’t get freeze at the right temperature in the bottom right hand side. Surely Samsung should make sure their appliances work exactly as instructed before selling them to the public. I’ve had no contact from the repair centre or Samsung in months about this issue. I really like the fridge freezer but it seems that it’s not fit for purpose?.

0 Likes
VS7007
First Poster
Options

Hi I bought this from John Lewis. Got delivered yesterday. I seem to have same problem. I have set the 'cool select' to freeze (not soft freeze). It is not as cool as the freezer compartment. For example the ice lolly thawed when i left in that compartment and I had to freeze it with the compartment on the bottom left. When I realised this I immediately shifted food to left side. I tested by keeping some water in a old watercube maker - that seem to freeze.

I asssume it is setting to soft freeze and not to full freeze. I am going to contact John Lewis tomorrow but looks like this problem is a known issue. I really like the fridge but one of the reasons I bought was to have more freezer space. Thsi problem didnt comeup in reviews I looked at before deciding to purchase this. Not sure if there is a problem with this batch of manufacturing

0 Likes
Leon91
Apprentice
Options

Hi Paul. I know it's been a while since your post, however did you ever get your freezer problem sorted. I think I have the same issue with the same model fridge/freezer. 

0 Likes
Paulalfc78
First Poster
Options

Hi, the only way I could get it to work they way I wanted was to tinker with the settings. The freezer part is set to -20 and I have the freezer set to freeze on the bottom. I don’t know if that will help you but you can try it. I never got anywhere with Samsung rectifying the fault despite me raising a complaint. 

0 Likes
Leon91
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for coming back to me. We have an engineer coming next week with the caveat that we have to pay if they find it is our fault. Problem is that the compartment is freezing now, the problem is intermittent. 

We have had ours set at -20 and on freeze to the bottom compartment but have still had things defrost. 

0 Likes
rhelling75
First Poster
Options
Hi Paulalfc78, VS7007 and Leon91. It's been a while but have you found a solution to the issue?
I recently bought the same fridge (I live in France, not sure it matters), and have the same issue with the bottom right compartment "soft freezing".
Thanks
0 Likes
Prib86
First Poster
Options

Hi guys just got the same  problem my fridge is 3 days old after reading your post I hope I haven't brought a lemon has anyone had there faulty fridge replaced with one that works?

0 Likes
Billymaze
Student
Options

Hi, with no help from Samsung I figured it out myself. I've had the fridge nearly 2 years now and I'm back in love with it after I did the following. 

My original problem has happened to me 3 times in total where the food in the freezer is suddenly only half frozen at best.

to solve this, press and hold the "Freezer Button" for 3 seconds and it will beep and a picture of a snowflake appears. This "Power Freezes" the freezer and puts the temperature to -23 Celsius. (Default for the freezer should be -19 Celsius)

The mistake I made the first time though was I left it at that and then everything over froze and after a few days the ice maker also froze over and wouldn't make ice. So now if it happens I go back after 24 hours and press and hold the "Freezer" button for 3 seconds, it beeps again and the picture of the snowflake disappears and it goes back to default of -19 celsius and both the freezer and fridge brilliant again and no problems at all with the freezer.

I did read the manual over and over (no mention of this problem) and I did research online and I did call Samsung helpline but I have to say I got no help at all from them. I run my own business and if I  saw a forum like this complaining about my product I would be all over it and make sure everyone was contacted and sorted but that's just me.

in fairness, now I love the fridge once I figured this out but I have to say it was with absolutely no help from Samsung. 

By the way on another note, the filters for the water are a ridiculous price but there are generic ones on Amazon that are excellent and very well priced for a pack of 3 or 4.

I hope this explanation helps you and fixes your problem as I really did tear my hair out after buying a very expensive fridge. 

Cheers.