Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 month old fridge

(Topic created on: 04-04-2020 08:06 AM)
Amber09
First Poster
Options

My Samsung fridge is only 2 months old, I'm very much a huge Samsung fan, I have a Samsung washer, and dryer also that's why I choose this fridge! 

But the last few days every time I open my fridge or freezer doors it about knocks you out with a strong chemical odor! This whole coronavirus thing I really don't want a repair man in my home, however this smell is very concerning to me as (idk if this fridge even has freeon) but that's the scent I'm smelling! Please help me! 

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6
Paul_HL
Samsung Pro
Options

Hi,

What model do you have ? does it come from the fridge or the freezer ?

Thanks

Paul

0 Likes
Amber09
First Poster
Options

It comes from both, the ice tastes just the way it smells! 

It's terrible! 

Model # RS25J500DSR 

0 Likes
Amber09
First Poster
Options
Is there anything you found?! Is it something to do with the vents?! In the fridge or freezer?! Somewhere I need to leave open for proper ventilation?! I don't want the ***** compressor to burn up, that's what happen to my old GE one, which is why I purchased this one 2 months ago!
0 Likes
Jam1eM
Samsung Pro
Options

Your model isn't a UK one, and we are a UK community. Where are you based? My recommendation would be to follow this link:

https://www.samsung.com/support 

It should take you to your county's support page. Then speak to an advisor to understand your next steps. 

CFCs have been banned in the UK in domestic refrigeration since the mid 90s so I don't think you have to worry about Freon.

Sorry I can't help much more

Amber09
First Poster
Options

Ya I tried them before I posted here, all I got was given the number to call this morning, and set up a appointment with a tech 🤦🤷 yes I understand that I may need someone to work on it for me, but I don't really want anyone in my house right now! 

I'm in the USA, and I didn't mean my fridge had Freon in it, as I know that's been gone a while it's the only thing I could think of to describe the smell and taste. 

Thank God I have an old beat up fridge in my garage and a small one down in my bar in my basement! Or we could have very well lost like 3 weeks of groceries, and given our current state of emergency, not cool! 

I would have appreciated some troubleshooting from Samsung, but whoever I was chatting online with was the least bit helpful! 

0 Likes
Jam1eM
Samsung Pro
Options
I'm sorry you didn't have a great experience with our support stateside.

Did it stop cooling at all? If so the smell could be from compressor system as it failed, but it would need an engineer to visit at some point. In the UK our engineers follow the government guidelines and protect themselves and the customer but I can understand why you would be nervous at times like this.

Other smells can be caused by spilt milk or cream, this can sometimes end up smelling behind the unit too though and is tricky to clean. Cut onions can make ice cubes taste metallic. You would know if it was this though I'm certain. Sorry we can't help much more.
I hope it gets sorted once you are happy to have an engineer look at it.

0 Likes