Support

Open search

how to change colour of text messages

First Poster

How do I change the colour of text messages background of white and blue for the actual messages.

I can't seem to find any where to do it

33 REPLIES 33
Highlighted
AndrewL Moderator
Hi @tiddy

You can change the background of the Messaging app by opening the app > tapping the 3 dots in the top right > Settings > Background. If you would like to change the colour of the conversation bubbles then I recommend checking out Settings > Wallpaper and Themes > Themes.
First Poster
I have no background option in there.
Superuser I
Superuser I

Hi @tiddy

You could try another texting app such as textra..

That or use another launcher such as Nova Prime etc that may offer further customisation. 

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 9 Model: SM-N960 Dual Hybrid 512Gb_ Samsung One Ui / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch
Samsung Galaxy Tab A {2016}SM-T580

Explorer

Why tf would you suggest someone install a janky, non proprietary launcher, degrading the entire user experience of your devic,  just because you cant change the background color within a messaging app? Thats like replacing the factory rims on a Bentley with a set of ghetto aftermarket rims that are the wrong size just because the factory ones dont come in gold. Smh

AntS Moderator

Some peeps just wanna pimp their ride, @Relle. Different strokes for different folks and all that. 

Prince_Community_Sig03.jpg

Say "Hello!" to the Community in The Introduce Yourself Thread.

Explorer

So Come on samsung why can we not on the S9/S9+ not do a basic setting that is in all your previous phones ?

when challanged all they come up with is there them store as they hope were going to rush out and buy one NOT!!!

here is a List of features they have removed and why

1. SMS customization ( Background and Bubble colour)

2. 360 Spear photo add on for the camera ( there anser is they have some more hardware to buy )

3. the Video editing App so you could make a full lenth video

all the above have been on there phones since the S3 and are on the S7 sms customization is still on the S8

changing th bubble colour is vital to any one with sight issues the horrible Teal colour is a nightmare

BRING THAT BACK

Observer

It TRULY does suck when all of a sudden your expecting to see black and you see white.  I have a black theme and this is the ONLY program that I simply can not change the background color on.  If you buy a Bentley and expect nice rims but the manufacturer decides to put crappy rims on I think you might be peeved.  Or here's a different metaphor...you buy the Bentley and then have a recall on the car 1 week later where they repaint it lime green.  My point is you could change the background color on previous versions, so why disallow it now?

Explorer

Strange that samsung has stopped comenting.

Samsung you have realy brassed of your customers on features that are there even on your basic phones and the S8 device 

First Poster

@tiddy wrote:

How do I change the colour of text messages background of white and blue for the actual messages.

I can't seem to find any where to do it

Looks like we're all on our own trying to figure this out! It's really dumb that Samsung took that option away, You're supposed to improve the product not make it worse over time! Anyway, I found a workaround to at least somewhat customize my phone.

1. Long press background in your home screen

2. Choose a theme that gives you the colors you want in your text. I chose a Black and White theme

3. Now go back and long press the background in your home screen and choose a wallpaper that you like and set it. Now you have a customized background and screen, and at the same time a theme that you like for your phone.

Hope what I wrote makes sense. It's not a perfect solution, but it's an option to give us some type of customization. Hopefully Samsung will fix this!

Top Liked Authors