Support

Open search

Unable to remove UAE Region lock

SOLVED
Apprentice

Hi

I bought an S9+ whilst I lived in the UAE. I used it for months for local and international calls no problem.

I have since moved to Spain and the region lock is causing me a lot of headaches in terms of not being able to load local content for example.

I contacted Samsung support in the UAE and they tell me its not possible to unlock the region as its a feature of the software?!

Is this true, or can I get the region unlock code from another source.

Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Apprentice

The final solution to get around this.

Reflash the firmware to the version for my cell provider. This removed the TRA ID lock 

Then go through the process of painfully removing my Google account UAE payment method and just leaving my Spainish one the the Web UI

Then on the play store changing my payment ID to Spain.

So when Samsung support incorrectly told me this cannot be changed, they were just avoiding the case I think rather than getting engaged and actually offering support, which is not the first time I have come across this with UAE customer support.

5 REPLIES 5
Superuser I
Superuser I

Usually using a local sim card in the country of origin making calls for around 5 minutes x 3 times removes the region lock. 

I submit its possible that maybe different in UAE.

Unfortunately Samsung wouldn't be able to remove a region lock via other means as far as I'm aware. 

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 9 Model: SM-N960 Dual Hybrid 512Gb_ Samsung One Ui / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch
Samsung Galaxy Tab A {2016}SM-T580

Pathfinder

You might be able to flash another CSC firmware for your model S9, check XDA developers forums

AndrewL Moderator
@Hopwon: As mentioned by @BandOfBrothers, if you used the phone inside the UAE and made a 5 minute cumulative call to local numbers using a SIM card from that region that it should be fine to use in Spain. Are you sure it is not a network lock that you're experiencing? If it prompts you for a PUK code then please contact your previous network provider who will be able to send you the relevant code.
Apprentice

As mentioned, I used the phone in the UAE for months. Its not asking for any PUK code.

I was using a UAE provider and now I am using a Spanish provider so the whole call for 5 mins x 3 thing is not applicable here.

Apprentice

The final solution to get around this.

Reflash the firmware to the version for my cell provider. This removed the TRA ID lock 

Then go through the process of painfully removing my Google account UAE payment method and just leaving my Spainish one the the Web UI

Then on the play store changing my payment ID to Spain.

So when Samsung support incorrectly told me this cannot be changed, they were just avoiding the case I think rather than getting engaged and actually offering support, which is not the first time I have come across this with UAE customer support.

Top Liked Authors