Support

Open search

Unable to hide navigation bar

Just Browsing

I don't see a big chunk of unusable screen at all. Check out the comparison of the pics.  I hope you can see it that with the navigation bar it covers  lot of context of the page but without it you see more of the post.Screenshot_20190313-120259_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190313-120310_Chrome.jpg

First Poster

Ive used the app "navbar apps" from the play store to add back in the show/hide navbar. It's free and just required an adb command to be run. Also allows for better navbar coloring or coloring per app. 

Honestly this is the worst thing Samsung has ever done. I don't understand why its been removed. I don't like the blue light filter as it's too orange and bright so I use twilight as I always have for a good 5 years, but the navigation bar, even gestures, isn't filtered by the app. It's a glaring bright white bar at the bottom of the screen that does my head in. I don't want the navigation bar up sometimes, why on earth would you remove this simple function???

First Poster

Cool! But what is an adb command, and how do you do it?

First Poster

ADB is a commad line tool for windows and other platforms that allows you to make modifications or add/remove items from your android device when it is connected via usb to your computer. You don't really need to know anything about it as the folks who made navbar apps have included instructions and a script (program) that you can simply install on your computer, connect your android device to the computer, then run the script (program) and it will make the neccessary provision to allow the navbar to show/hide everywhere, or only for specific applications. Also allows you to assign different colors or transperency on an app by app basis too. Pretty handy tool that I probably should have paid closer attention to last year.

First Poster

Yeah this is really getting on my nerves right now, loving the look of the update and even stopped using Nova launcher for it but the remval of the toggle on the nav bar is the one thing I really don't like about it. It really became a huge feature for me on this phone and I would love of they could add it back in a patch soon.

First Poster

You can hide the Navigation bar by going to "Settings->Display->Navigation bar". Once there, set the Navigation bar to "Full screen gestures". This will reduce the bar to three lines indicating the three buttons. Once this setting is selected, the "Gesture hints" settings will be available now. You can turn off "Gesture hints" which will completely hide the Navigation bar. The Navigation bar will still be there, for instance if you swipe up from the center bottom you will go to your homepage, but it will be hidden. Hopefully that helps anyone who want to hide the bar on the bottom of your screen.

If you don't have these settings, you may need to update your phone.

Apprentice

I'm not sure if you've read or understand this post. But what you have described is exactly what we are complaining about. We dont want gestures we want to swipe up and see our navigation bar. We do not like being forced I to using the new gestures, that's the point of this post. 

First Poster

Right, I know I can do that but I don't want to use gestures, I want buttons with an option to hide the navigation bar like how it was when I bought this phone. I sometimes watch videos on websites on my phone and it's really convenient to go full screen and just toggle the navigation bar away, giving me my full screen space. It especially comes in handy when I am screen mirroring to my TV. Now I can't do that with this update and it was a feature I really grew to love on my note 9.

Are you for real?Removing auto-hide option was a hideous idea. How do you like the response?

Top Liked Authors