Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Storage issue- deleted items, but still no space?

(Topic created on: 08-04-2020 12:54 PM)
Wellssar
Journeyman
Options

I had 28gb of videos and photos, and kept getting an error message that I was running out of space (64gb capacity). So I plugged my phone in to the laptop and moved the stuff over. I checked my phone afterwards and all photos and videos had gone successfully. I also emptied my recycle bin.

However.....

I am still getting the error message for space, but when I checked the storage it only showed a few mb of photos that were all new since the transfer, so it made no sense why it was still showing the error message. I clicked on 'advanced' and it took me to a greater breakdown of the storage, and on that page is said there was still 28gb of photos and videos, even though they are not in my gallery or recycle bin because those are still only new images. I clicked on the 'photos & videos' tab and it asked if I wanted to open in gallery or via google photos. I selected google photos as I knew the gallery was empty, and all the old stuff is still on google photos.

Now I thought that google photos was a virtual back up for my pictures and videos, but is it actually taking up the space in my storage? If not, I have no idea what is going on and really would like to avoid a factory resetThe advanced storage menu showing the old figure of photos and videos.The advanced storage menu showing the old figure of photos and videos.

Normal storage menu showing much less photos and videosNormal storage menu showing much less photos and videos

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Wellssar
Journeyman
Options

It's  sorted! I cleared the cache on the camera app, which moved the 28gb to my 'data' or 'other' section in 'my files' app. I still couldn't get in to it, so I downloaded Ccleaner app and managed to uninstall the my file app, and the bogus data went with it! Luckily I still have my files working... very odd but at least it is now sorted! 

View solution in context

35 REPLIES 35
DannyT
Options
Hey there,

Could you give your phone a Soft Reset? To do this press and hold the Power and Volume Down buttons for around ten seconds. It sounds like the phone just needs a soft reset and time to properly read the data.

Welcome to the Community!

0 Likes
Wellssar
Journeyman
Options

Thanks for suggestion, but it hasnt changed anything 😔

DannyT
Options
Okay try this. Head to Gallery > More (3 dots top right) > Recycle Bin. Then delete the photos that are backed up from here.

Welcome to the Community!

Wellssar
Journeyman
Options

I already did that before and deleted them all. I've just double checked and nothing in there... it is driving me mad!

Solution
Wellssar
Journeyman
Options

It's  sorted! I cleared the cache on the camera app, which moved the 28gb to my 'data' or 'other' section in 'my files' app. I still couldn't get in to it, so I downloaded Ccleaner app and managed to uninstall the my file app, and the bogus data went with it! Luckily I still have my files working... very odd but at least it is now sorted! 

Sazzle66
Journeyman
Options
I tried that and a full reboot and it didn't work
Sazzle66
Journeyman
Options
That deleted photos and files but not videos. In fact, couldn't even see videos in recycle bin though I know they're there as they're still taking up space. Might have to try this app that's been recommended.
Sazzle66
Journeyman
Options
Did it keep the files you wanted to keep?
0 Likes
Wellssar
Journeyman
Options

It kept the new photos I had taken, and just cleared out the old stuff that said it was there, but wasn't! Good luck!

0 Likes