Support

Open search

Screen Repair - Rooted?

First Poster

Hey all,

So I recently dropped my phone, smashing the display. I'm going to take it into a Samsung Service Center on Monday to get the screen replaced (I know it will cost me and is not covered under any warranty), however my device has been previously rooted, and so Knox is tripped. Will this cause any problems for me? I know they run a diagnostic after replacing the screen and am hoping this will not cause any issues. I have read a few horror stories about how they have insisted on replacing the mobo due to knox being tripped on things as simple as a headphone jack replacement. I'm in the UK.

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
ChrisM Moderator

Hi @Morphicsn0w.

We can't speak for the Service Centre itself, but there is a chance that they won't be able to repair your phone due to the fact that it has been rooted. It may be worth giving them a call before setting off.

Superuser I
Superuser I

Hi @Morphicsn0w

Going from what I'm aware of if a person roots their phone and then an issue arises that can in some way be connected to rooting then work under the 24 Month manufacturing warranty maybe declined. 

However on this occasion your not asking for work to be completed under the said 24 month manufacturing warranty. 

Your paying a Samsung engineer to replace the screen - stat.

I would be immensely surprised if they turned you away. 

If you can i would suggest to visit a Samsung Experience Store. 

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 9 Model: SM-N960 Dual Hybrid 512Gb_ Samsung One Ui / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch
Samsung Galaxy Tab A {2016}SM-T580

Observer

In singapore, they did. I asked them for a screen replacement which I am aware that I be paying but they said because my phone is rooted I need to buy a new mobo for 585 so why? 

@BandOfBrothers wrote:

Hi @Morphicsn0w

Going from what I'm aware of if a person roots their phone and then an issue arises that can in some way be connected to rooting then work under the 24 Month manufacturing warranty maybe declined. 

However on this occasion your not asking for work to be completed under the said 24 month manufacturing warranty. 

Your paying a Samsung engineer to replace the screen - stat.

I would be immensely surprised if they turned you away. 

If you can i would suggest to visit a Samsung Experience Store. 

Superuser I
Superuser I

@CloneX wrote:

In singapore, they did. I asked them for a screen replacement which I am aware that I be paying but they said because my phone is rooted I need to buy a new mobo for 585 so why? 

Hi @CloneX

Why ? > Because that was the decision of that shop after assessing your phone. 

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 9 Model: SM-N960 Dual Hybrid 512Gb_ Samsung One Ui / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch
Samsung Galaxy Tab A {2016}SM-T580

Observer

They said that they need to run some stupid evaluation program and the  evaluation program will brick my phone. Told them just send me the phone repaired as I am  not interested in the checking but they still persist. 

Observer

I am also using a note 9 so screen replacement+new motherboard=$9xx That is just BS

Observer
Alright here is an update. After arguing with the manager at Samsung Plaza sing they agreed to let phone go without the stupid test. But they said there my 1 month warranty thing is voided.
Top Liked Authors