Support

Open search

Samsung s9 android Pie Update Problems

Explorer

I did the factory reset. Twice. I'm not going through the motions of doing it again.

What kind of upgrade is this when you need to factory reset to get your phone to work as expected ?

First time I see such a behaviour, and I've had 10+ android phones, from many manufacturers.

I'm done with Samsung. Not to trust them again. Ever. Especially as someone wrote above that they wouldn't even acknowledge the multiple, non-trivial issues.

--Jeff

Apprentice

Same here.  My next phone is iPhone.

First Poster

SUCCESS Story!!

After upgradeing Android 9 (Pie), many things broke:

- Amazon, Ebay, Yahoo weather, Yahoo finance, and bank apps won't load or complain either the date/time is wrong or can't connect to the network.  I've tried several things to fix the problem by connecting to WiFi only, carrier network only (no luck), reset networking, clear cache and data (no luck).  I've tried things people in this thread to do with no luck. So I gave up and I was ready to RMA my phone (S9+) to Samsung which I have already return label for that.

I factory reset my phone and installed everything from scratch. I must report that the things didn't work before are working in the past 4 hours and I'm happy about that. If that change by tomorrow then I'll report back.

I agree with some of the folks here, that upgrades shouldn't break the functionality of the phone and you don't have to factory reset the phone for a major update.  That is very stupid and frustrating.  I'm still an Andoid fan!

Explorer

Oh, I actually still like Android, but........no disrepect meant here, but let me elaborate a bit on why one shouldn't be a Samsung fan after this mess.

(GRANTED there are bigger messes, around, but really, I do not care: I own a S9+ device, not another-one-that-might-be-impacted-by-some-other-mess-so-I-do-not-care-about-those-other-messes)

- I've been a dev for some years

- I've branched to pure OPS aftwerwards

- I've then branched to Integrations

- Now in DevOps

Nowhere, there, especially in Integrations, do you see a lapse in QA. None as bad as this current one. I understand that Samsung has to deal with tons of use-cases (possibly as many use-cases as there are wireless operators). Still... they want to sell stuff, they have to own their responsabilities and deal with those use-cases.

The way I read the current situation, is that they got so badly burned with the Notes 7 debacle (you know, those "exploding devices" thing, that they wouldn't dare owning this mess.

Shame on them. I really hope this thread explodes out of this community website. They deserve the PR clusterf*ck that goes with it.

Observer

Agreed! I don't even want to use my phone anymore! There are so many problems from the update, from changing all of my settings, the ridiculous new look, and the glitches that keep making my screen lock up to just name a few. Plus, now my battery is draining like crazy! Is there anyway to revert to before the update???

Apprentice

Well since my y update. I’ve had to factory reset my s9. A’s was advised to do, because overnight it powers off even on a full charge. It freezes like that, you have force a boot. It still does it after the factory reset to. Also after reset, when talking on the phone now it is not clear, there is a bunch of noise, sometimes loud, sometimes soft. This phone was a extremely, great phone till this shoddy, update. The apps. Look like kiddy pore, they are grose. As is so much of the update. I’vw Now lost all faith and like of Samsung. I’ve been yelled at by Samsung staff at West Edmonton Mall store( the only store in a city of over 1 million, been told it wasn’t a good choice for my, that I’m not savvy enough for it, that I’m to old. My carrier won’t provide a loaner to send it in for repair (thanks Fido). I’ve been with them for 6 years, have 3 different phones from them on 3 contracts for my house (family) and my account has never been delinquent. But yet I’ve been shafted with all this since this shady update to the new android platform....it really does suck. I now have no faith in humanity, electronics, nothing....thank so much

Apprentice

I also see that when I reread my post a new issue this is how the keyboard responds to typing. Wow good English huh...

Explorer

There are ways to unlock the device and install a new image (ROM). Samsung makes it a bit harder than other phones (Sony Xperias phones are so easy to unlock and install new OSes !) that I'm not sure I'd recommend it.

Worse: if you install another image on the device, the device is then flagged as "unofficial", and it makes it harder, if not impossible, to use some devices with it : for instance, I also own a Samsung Gear S3 Fronteer smart watch, and I've read that installing and using the apps to link the watch to the phone wouldn't be allowed with an "non-official" Samsung phone, so it's a no-go for me.

--Jeff

Explorer

Fido has gone down the drain since they've been bought by Rodgers. Fido used to be a high-end phone carrier (and provider). Rodgers debased them, truly.

Now, I've never heard of a provider lending a loaner; this could happen, I guess, but I never saw that. Too many privacy issues at stake, even with a full factory reset. I think the management of all this could end up wasting much resources on the provider's side.

Thing is, it's not the provider's fault that a manufacturer has botched an upgrade, unfortunately. My carrier's staff was really sad they couldn't help me more, but, as I said, there's not much they could do.

--Jeff

Just Browsing

I'm having the same problem. I hate this update!!!

Top Liked Authors