Support

Open search

Samsung s9 android Pie Update Problems

Voyager

I'm back on oreo and my security and other software still updates through the official channel. Pie is available to download if I want too. 

Odin is samsung software as is the firmware people use so I don't see how that can do anything. 

I had pie running pretty sweet with no major problems but like many others wasn't to keen on the look. I also found the camera seemed to struggle to focus up close a bit compared to oreo. 

Also missed the pro video mode which I now have back. 

Personally found the whole camera set up a bit clunky and laggy compared to oreo. 

I think if samsung just tweaked a few things pie could be loads better. 

Explorer

@Enjay wrote:

I'm back on oreo and my security and other software still updates through the official channel. Pie is available to download if I want too. 

Odin is samsung software as is the firmware people use so I don't see how that can do anything. 

I had pie running pretty sweet with no major problems but like many others wasn't to keen on the look. I also found the camera seemed to struggle to focus up close a bit compared to oreo. 

Also missed the pro video mode which I now have back. 

Personally found the whole camera set up a bit clunky and laggy compared to oreo. 

I think if samsung just tweaked a few things pie could be loads better. 

I know a bit about Odin as I used it on older Samsung devices. As far as I remember, those devices were not Knox-protected, nor do I know on how Odin works with S9+.

It's at your own risk, then

--Jeff

Explorer

@Maxozone wrote:

Jeff,  What Iphone do you think would be comprable to the original Note 9? Have you looked at the Huawei ones?

I am so very tired of dealing with this underhanded world of cell phones. I kinda wish I could charge up my old Nokia 6590i and get it on line.. LoL

We're on a Samsung forum, @Maxozone , besides venting our spleens against the current situation and mentioning the replacement phones we'd get out of spite, surely you do not expect Samsung to tolerate folks advertising other brands, right ? I'll pass on replying to this one :-) I find them quite tolerant so far, really, especially compared to some companies (I remember being kicked out the Apple dev forums because I questionned their IDE stability; really).

--Jeff

Voyager
Still Knox protected, it's part of oreo too and I still have it. It just goes back to the previous Knox you had before pie.

My phone is basically how it was when I bought it, official samsung software with all the bells and whistles.
The phone isn't rooted or that, you're just reinstalling the software that was originally on it.
Explorer

@Enjay wrote:
Still Knox protected, it's part of oreo too and I still have it. It just goes back to the previous Knox you had before pie.

My phone is basically how it was when I bought it, official samsung software with all the bells and whistles.
The phone isn't rooted or that, you're just reinstalling the software that was originally on it.

This is good, @Enjay  . This might be a way out for anyone who wants to revert their current predicament. Not that I doubt you in any ways, but could you go and check in your settings ("About your device", or something along those lines) if your phone status is either "Custom" or "Official" ? That's what says if your efuse burned or not.

--Jeff

Voyager

Says official, just checked.

The thing is, it is all official, it's Samsung's own software that they use. It's just out in the open now where other people can also use it.

But, it is scary if anything goes wrong so people need to be prepared for that.

I'm not saying I had a cheek clenching moment but I'm not saying I didn't lol

First Poster

I found an article that helped me solve the problems I have been experiencing (especially with Google Play and Bluetooth) since the update and it involves clearing the cache paritition.

https://thedroidguy.com/2019/03/galaxy-s9-wont-install-update-stuck-at-25-troubleshooting-guide-1082...

I was sceptical as everything else I tried failed including a factory reset that took forever.

This was quick and painless. Since then my updates have been working and other annoyances have disappeared.

Explorer

It has become very very clear to me that Samsung gives little to nothing about its customers. I've tried Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Messenger, email, Samsung Community, in-app support, helpdesk, Samsung store...

Replied on a Huawei Instagram post: Had a reply within ten minutes.

Apprentice

You do know that Android is made by Google and not Samsung, so that's who you need to contact if you have an operating system problem...

Explorer

@Unyonface wrote:

You do know that Android is made by Google and not Samsung, so that's who you need to contact if you have an operating system problem...

Partly right, here.. Compare Android to a Linux distribution. Linus Torvalds and his minions write the Linux kernel, its modules (drivers), etc. On top of that you have apps, systems, such as Gnome, KDE, their associated apps, some core apps, and so on. On top of that you have distributions, companies that bundle the kernel, the windowing systems, the apps, etc, and add some distribution-specific apps and customizations.

Google is Linus Torvalds and his collaborators. Samsung is the distro. They're building an image on top of what others did.

Android 9 works just fine everywhere else (and truth be told: even on most Samsung S9+ devices). The problem is within how they (Samsung) packaged their extra customizations/apps.

I've friends on S9+ with the same carrier + area as I, and their devices work just fine.

-- Jeff

Top Liked Authors