Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Samsung email massive data usage and battery drain.

(Topic created on: 07-05-2019 08:15 PM)
Oggy1974
Apprentice
Options

Hi all. Looking for a possible solution/answer to my problem.

Today I had a data usage warning appear. It turns out that that in less than 1 day my email had used just over 20gb of mobile date, 35% battery and 11 hrs running in the background.

Anybody else had a similar problem?

I have a 30gb monthly allowance, which I very rarely use more than 10.

0 Likes
26 REPLIES 26
AndrewL
Options
@Oggy1974: Sorry to hear that you've experienced this issue. Here's a few suggestions on how to prevent future occurrences:
1. Open the Email app > Tap the 3 lines in the top left > Tap the cog symbol in the top right of the pop up window > Select you account > Sync Account > Off > Limit Retrieval Size While Roaming > Set your preferred limit.
2. Go to Settings > Device Care > Battery > Tap the 3 dots in the top right > Settings > Sleeping Apps > Add Email to the list. This will prevent it from running the background and using up your data.
3. Settings > Connections > Data Usage > Data Saver > On

Hope this helps
0 Likes
white413
Student
Options

Hi

Yes. My Samsung s9 has done the same thing. The Samsung email app has used up 2gb data in one day and has reduced my battery down to 25%. I now have no data allowance for the rest of the month. 

Oggy1974
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for your reply Andrew, but tell me, with sync account turned off how am I supposed to get my emails without switching sync back on.

AndrewL
Options
@Oggy1974: I understand, the first suggestion isn't ideal as you would be required to manually enable and disable Sync each time. Another approach would be to do this via the Quick Settings Menu by swiping from the top of the screen to the bottom and tapping 'Sync', however you might wish to consider options 2 and 3 if this doesn't appeal to you.
0 Likes
Solution
Oggy1974
Apprentice
Options
I've found an alternative solution.

1. Find Samsung email in apps list.

2. Push and hold app button  then touch 'uninstall'

3. Go to Google play store.

4. Search for your preferred email app.

5. Select 'install'

Sorted.

white413
Student
Options

These fixes all sound a bit extreme to me as the Samsung email app had been working perfectly for the last 4 months. Any idea as to the reason why it is suddenly using up masses of data? Has there been a recent software update for example??

0 Likes
MelDigi
First Poster
Options

This is addressing the symptom and not the cause. All my data has been used up suddenly with the same issue. Samsung must've changed something as we can't all be having the same issue if there wasn't a Samsung change.

demuslee
First Poster
Options

Suggestion #2 doesn't work because the email app isnt available in the sleeping apps. 

0 Likes
Dunavila
First Poster
Options

I believe it's the las update in Jun 20,i have the same issue